Drama for Kabe Luna..

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,171
Drama for Kabe Luna..

Now let's see some of your flower action photos!!

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS-1D X +25 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 651
quite a lot of them OOF really

Are you doing this for a living? I hope not because your clients would not be very satisfied. A lot of them are out of focus, those in focus are poorly composed or catching ugly subject poses.

tony field Veteran Member • Posts: 9,484
Re: Drama for Kabe Luna..

Interesting shots. The first, last. and the hurdle jumper seem to work well to capture the spirit of the sport.

Some of the compositions just don't seem to work - but maybe that is just the luck of where you were allowed to shoot from. I am surprised at some of the back-focusing - in particular with the 1D-IV in the water trap and that was shot at F4.
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Bossons Junior Member • Posts: 29

Well done, another fine batch of mediocrity.

gdanmitchell
gdanmitchell Veteran Member • Posts: 7,730
Re: quite a lot of them OOF really

Real classy, j900, real classy. Not.

j900 wrote:

Are you doing this for a living? I hope not because your clients would not be very satisfied. A lot of them are out of focus, those in focus are poorly composed or catching ugly subject poses.

Tizzio
Tizzio Senior Member • Posts: 2,084
Drama???

what drame are you saying.... Im completely lost!

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,594
And as usual ...

... J900 has ZERO pictures in his gallery.

j900 wrote:

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +13 more
OP Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,171
The EGG syndrome..

Bossons wrote:

Thank you Sir!

I've a new acronym.

The Empty Gallery Genius syndrome...

You are a top EGG!

Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS-1D X +25 more
Another EGG!!

Tizzio wrote:

what drame are you saying.... Im completely lost!

Another Empty Gallery Genius syndrome.

We'll have an omlette yet...

tony field wrote:

Interesting shots. The first, last. and the hurdle jumper seem to work well to capture the spirit of the sport.

Some of the compositions just don't seem to work - but maybe that is just the luck of where you were allowed to shoot from. I am surprised at some of the back-focusing - in particular with the 1D-IV in the water trap and that was shot at F4.
--
tony

That water jump shot is a typical result you often get when you're trying to shoot this particular shot.

It's due to how long it takes even the fastest lens to focus in this circumstance. You can follow the runner and keep him in focus until he jumps off or clears the hurdle. Then he drops and the AF is momentarily lost. That's what happens. Of course had I been to the side with a shorter lens, or much further back I wouldn't have had the problem. In my other post you can see a successful one. I just like this one because of the splash. People are too willing to discard interesting shots because of technicalities! It's interesting to see the view of the layman on your photos. They go for content, content and content in that order, unless egregiously bad.

The AF of the 1Div is not perfect but if it locks onto something and you keep the AF point on it (not that easy with a face, e.g. and a 300mm lens) you will get about 80% really good focus. If you're using say a 300 at f5.6 it will be higher, but at f2.8 you have a very narrow DOF.

tony field Veteran Member • Posts: 9,484

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

It's due to how long it takes even the fastest lens to focus in this circumstance. You can follow the runner and keep him in focus until he jumps off or clears the hurdle. Then he drops and the AF is momentarily lost.

For such things on the 1D-IV I generally set CF.FnIII:2 to a slower AI Servo tracking sensitivity (one notch down usually works). This seems to allow the predictive part of the focusing to continue tracking the subject without getting lost.

Of course, this does not solve the "sudden stops" as in long-jump - but then setting the Servo Tracking to one notch higher seems to follow the focus quicker (in many cases).

I have been playing with the 5D-III to see how it responds (since the 1D-X is not yet available). It does seem to work better than the 1D-IV for difficult items , which bodes well for the 1DX.

But then ... I tend to shoot easy to follow subjects like Show Jumping or Speed Skating rather than Football and Hockey which are a bit more demanding

People are too willing to discard interesting shots because of technicalities! It's interesting to see the view of the layman on your photos. They go for content, content and content in that order, unless egregiously bad.

It certainly is a matter of taste - however, IMHO the photos should be sharp indeed and in perfect focus (unless you are specifically trying to produce an artistic interpretation such as motion blur, etc). The only time this should be modified is if the image is exceptional in content - then many things are forgiven.
--
tony

tony field wrote:

It's due to how long it takes even the fastest lens to focus in this circumstance. You can follow the runner and keep him in focus until he jumps off or clears the hurdle. Then he drops and the AF is momentarily lost.

For such things on the 1D-IV I generally set CF.FnIII:2 to a slower AI Servo tracking sensitivity (one notch down usually works). This seems to allow the predictive part of the focusing to continue tracking the subject without getting lost.

Of course, in the old days I would've had this in perfect focus, without autofocus, though I wouldn't have had a burst.
I would just focus on a spot and shoot when the subject reached it.

I even photographed a bike race or two with a Mamiya TLR..

WindowLicker Regular Member • Posts: 235

So why did you not do it this time? If you understand there is a problem, why would you not then do something to solve it?
--
http://www.rcyoung.co.uk

Re: And as usual ...

Hey people, I'm not the one starting personal attacks here. Look at the OP subject line. He's giving away the stick to get beaten imho.

Re: And as usual ...

Why would I? I only come here once in a few months to get a good laugh with the general mediocrity of the "photographers" (cough) coming here!

Hey Dan,

As the other person who replied to your post said, what do you expect for replies to the OP? "Good shots, keep on the good work"? or maybe "Great stuff, I like it"?

Come on.

The guy is lost in some kind of personal battle, keeps on posting his mediocre sports shots. They are what they are, just mediocre.

J

Fao91 Contributing Member • Posts: 540

gdanmitchell wrote:
Real classy, j900, real classy. Not.

j900 wrote:

What kind of comments do you think the OP is going to get?!
He posted in a public forum,everyone is free to reply and express their opinion.
For me,they are just snapshots.

Fao91's gear list:Fao91's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Re: The EGG syndrome..

Not sure whether I prefer a gallery full of photographic nonsense over an empty gallery.

Bossons wrote:

Thank you Sir!

I've a new acronym.

The Empty Gallery Genius syndrome...

You are a top EGG!

Vibrio Veteran Member • Posts: 4,004
not bad snap shots

could have framed them a lot better though - I'm sure with practice you'll get there though.

Rudix
Rudix Contributing Member • Posts: 732

So you have been doing this for a while? And you still can't get it right?

Sad.........

Of course, in the old days I would've had this in perfect focus, without autofocus, though I wouldn't have had a burst.
I would just focus on a spot and shoot when the subject reached it.

I even photographed a bike race or two with a Mamiya TLR..

Rudix's gear list:Rudix's gear list
Leica V-Lux 3 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads