dishwashing liquid soap safe for cleaning optics?

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions
doctor digi Senior Member • Posts: 1,449
Really?

Well, if you do all your photography in a sterile environment then that would be true.

I'm afraid our crazy little friends are everywhere - including your glass. Did you know your body has more bacteria than human cells?

Breathing on the lens has more to do with residue being left on the glass than bacteria.

rd52
rd52 Contributing Member • Posts: 548
maybe a lens pen?

I'd probably use a lens pen on it.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,261
Better safe than sorry.

Go breathe on a multi coated filter. Put it away for a week or two then check it out under a micro scope. You will be shocked! Lenses can be irreparably damaged by mold.

Common sense prevails when it comes to proper cleaning and storage of optical devices.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

BTW would you breathe on your dishes as a method of cleaning? Would you then use those dishes to serve food to your guests?

Thought not.

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,069
Not safe.

EOS_GUY wrote:

Is it safe to use dishwashing liquid soap in cleaning lenses?

Stay away from Detergents. They can contain Oils, Fragrances, Sulfates, Dyes, etc etc.

Like has been recommended, get a bottle of lens cleaner formulated for Coated Lenses.

Personally, I like using the Zeiss Lens Tissues (premoistened) for the tough stuff (fingerprints, etc).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5
Re: Better safe than sorry.

Apewithacamera wrote:

Go breathe on a multi coated filter. Put it away for a week or two then check it out under a micro scope. You will be shocked! Lenses can be irreparably damaged by mold.

No kidding.

Common sense prevails when it comes to proper cleaning and storage of optical devices.

Exactly.

I never said I recommended breathing on them, just as I would'nt recommend spitting on them and using saliva as a grease remover. It's for a reason. Please see previous post.

BTW would you breathe on your dishes as a method of cleaning? Would you then use those dishes to serve food to your guests?

Thought not.

Did you read my post before firing off a reply?

Thought not.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,261
Yes I read your post. I was a bit aggressive my apologies. nt

no text

cedrec Regular Member • Posts: 328
Re: Better safe than sorry.

Apewithacamera wrote:

Thought not.

Bacteria ≠ mold !!!!! Holy crap I can't believe I have to spell this out for you.

Stop acting like you're some kind of expert when you clearly don't know the first thing about what you're talking about - and I say that mildly. This would have been in the first pages of your biology textbook in middle school. No, bacteria and fungi are not the same. That's not to mention your absurd claims of what can be seen with a "micro scope." You sound like some kind of Howard Hughes talking about imminent danger from imaginary "germs." Common sense? Hang your head in shame.

chrispaulmorgan Regular Member • Posts: 162
Sodium Chloride

As far as I understand it, Dishwashing liquid contains up to 5% salt. Salt water is certainly corrosive. I would not risk it.
--
Chris

photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,828
Re: Sodium Chloride

chrispaulmorgan wrote:

As far as I understand it, Dishwashing liquid contains up to 5% salt. Salt water is certainly corrosive. I would not risk it.

It is corrosive on metal, not glass. In addition it will be washed off (otherwise you have salt residue) thoroughly, that's important to get rid of any residue.

-- hide signature --

Chris

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
MirekE
MirekE Contributing Member • Posts: 925
Re: dishwashing liquid soap safe for cleaning optics?

EOS_GUY wrote:

Yesterday I accidentally touch the rear optics of my 85mm 1.2L, first I tried to wipe it using pecpad lens tissue with distilled water but still it smudges, second I tried isoprophyl alcohol but still I can see marks then lastly I tried water with a little of dishwashing liquid soap and viola no more marks, crystal clear! Is it safe to use dishwashing liquid soap in cleaning lenses?

I would never use dishwasher detergent on lenses. Here are some of my reasons:

• We do not know what exactly is in them

• Dishwasher liquids are alkaline, therefore chemically reactive

• Dishwasher liquids contain dissolved solid chemicals (phosphates?, chelates?, wetting agents?, anti-foaming agents?) and can leave residue on the lens

I breathe on the lens and wipe with a microfiber or cotton cloth. If that does not help, I use Eclipse sensor cleaning fluid (alcohol with no residue) and sensor cleaning pads.

Re: Yes I read your post. I was a bit aggressive my apologies. nt

It takes a brave person to freely apologise on an open Internet forum such as this.

Apology accepted. Likewise I am now willing to apologise for responding in a rather heavy-handed sarcastic way.

tymevest Senior Member • Posts: 1,495
Re: Yes I read your post. I was a bit aggressive my apologies. nt

The method I use.

Blow off the lens to remove any particles.

Use a few drops of ROR on a new/clean microfiber cloth. Dry with a different area of the cloth. It should be 100% grease free and clean. Then blow off the lens again in case there is any lint from the towel.

Here is some info on ROR. It removes all grease residue and is safe for lens coatings.

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

Xcanonfodder
Xcanonfodder Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: Not safe.

You just did! Lens cleane,r not the junk you get at the eyeglass store. Detergents can leave a film which may attract moisture and lead o fungal growth. I recommend that you contact Canon and they can give you recommended cleaners. 73 Jerry

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,069
Re: Not safe.

??????

cononfodder wrote:

You just did! Lens cleane,r not the junk you get at the eyeglass store. Detergents can leave a film which may attract moisture and lead o fungal growth. I recommend that you contact Canon and they can give you recommended cleaners. 73 Jerry

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5
paulbysea Contributing Member • Posts: 529

I stick all my lenses through the dishwasher regularly, on the hot wash. This way I can be sure to kill the fungi and spores which cause mould. It also gets rid of those pesky invisible bacteria that cause bacterial infections in us humans and other critters. As for the virulent viruses, that are also invisible, well they are done for so I will not be catching a viral infection from the cold sufferer that sneezed over my photo gear.

If when they come out of the dishwasher they are still signs of dampness I just throw them in the tumble dryer wrapped in socks.

paulbysea's gear list:paulbysea's gear list
Pentax Optio W80 Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
tymevest Senior Member • Posts: 1,495

paulbysea wrote:

I stick all my lenses through the dishwasher regularly, on the hot wash. This way I can be sure to kill the fungi and spores which cause mould. It also gets rid of those pesky invisible bacteria that cause bacterial infections in us humans and other critters. As for the virulent viruses, that are also invisible, well they are done for so I will not be catching a viral infection from the cold sufferer that sneezed over my photo gear.

If when they come out of the dishwasher they are still signs of dampness I just throw them in the tumble dryer wrapped in socks.

I tried that with my camera. It works. No more fungus or grease. To get all the moisture out, I put it in the microwave on high for 30 minutes afterwards.

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

tocar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,446

When there's really a stubborn oily residue I use a very diluted solution of Dawn on a damp cloth and followed by multiple rinsing of water with a damp cloth then final wiping of micro fiber cloth specially made for glass/lenses.

tocar's gear list:tocar's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D +1 more

MirekE wrote:

EOS_GUY wrote:

Yesterday I accidentally touch the rear optics of my 85mm 1.2L, first I tried to wipe it using pecpad lens tissue with distilled water but still it smudges, second I tried isoprophyl alcohol but still I can see marks then lastly I tried water with a little of dishwashing liquid soap and viola no more marks, crystal clear! Is it safe to use dishwashing liquid soap in cleaning lenses?

• Dishwasher liquids contain dissolved solid chemicals (phosphates?, chelates?, wetting agents?, anti-foaming agents?) and can leave residue on the lens

In principle I agree with you, but seeing how well it works on my eye-glass on a regular basis without any ill effect, the occasional use on filters seems to work fine.
And ingredients are listed usually, e.g. here is one list:
http://www.colgate.com/app/Palmolive/US/EN/Product-Ingredients.cwsp

I breathe on the lens and wipe with a microfiber or cotton cloth. If that does not help, I use Eclipse sensor cleaning fluid (alcohol with no residue) and sensor cleaning pads.

First blowing with a blower, then breathing is my normal routine as well, with a clean cotton cloth (clean is the key, exchange frequently, any dust grain in the cloth whether microfiber or not, will just scratch) to clean. If there is a tiny spec, I use lens cleaning liquid, but I find it a pain, it leaves residue even if it's not supposed to, you have to do lots of follow up cleaning. Perhaps it's not the lens cleaning liquid itself that leaves the residue, but the grease that simply gets spread out to a thin layer by the alcohol in the lens cleaning liquid.

I had a horrible filter what was all greased up (from travel, just poorly cleaned with sweaty cloth), tried the usual (as above), with virtually no progress. Then just put it under water with liquid detergent and it was spick and spam in no time.

-- hide signature --

tymevest wrote:

LOL

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

-- hide signature --

MirekE
MirekE Contributing Member • Posts: 925

MirekE wrote:

EOS_GUY wrote:

Oops! I did not read the initial post properly. I was talking about dishwasher detergent, not dishwashing detergent. I would not use dishwashing detergents either, but I am sure they are much milder on the lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads