Just bought the Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM and am underwhelmed!

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions
Kevin Jorgensen Contributing Member • Posts: 745
Just bought the Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM and am underwhelmed!

Passing through Singapore and bought the Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM an hour a so ago for $280 Singapore dollars. With a rubber hood and a cheap filter it came to almost $400. I was disappointed with it before I even left the shop. (Put it on my 5DM2.) Went outside into the better light and things just got worse. I'm having problems with my laptop but will try and post some images later. You get what you pay for.

Kevin Jorgensen's gear list:Kevin Jorgensen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Kevin Jorgensen Contributing Member • Posts: 745
Re: Just bought the Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM and am underwhelmed!

I probably took these in too much of a hurry. I'll take the filter off later and try again.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
muz64 Junior Member • Posts: 28

Photos look good to me. What don't you like about it?

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

Agreed, on a technical level the photos look good at f2.8 and f8 in both sharpness and colors. I think I'd be happy with it. Compositions are terrible but on purely technical basis I do not see why it can't deliver from what I see so far... how is the focusing speed?

It is clearly on a similar level as the nifty fifty if not better from these shots...

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

Besides crappy composition it may just be a case of getting use to it. I have a gap between my 16-35f2.8L II and my 70-200f4L IS which I fill with the Sigma 50f1.4 but even though its an excellent lens it just wasn't wide enough for me. Have been waiting for the 24-70f2.8L II and thought the 40 might be a cheap alternative. I was pulled up by 2 people and asked what lens it was and noticed a few others having a good look at it as well, all Canon shooters I'd say.

mirkoc Regular Member • Posts: 211

The photos look too contrasty and colour boosted. What were your camera settings?

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,535
How is the AF?

+1

Timbukto wrote:

how is the focusing speed?

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 II
Re: How is the AF?

His and miss. I'm thinking this lens will be well suited on the 5DM3.

Re: How is the AF?

These are straight out of the camera. I see I've still got blue and green +3 and the chap is right I may have the contrast set a bit high as well.

itsDing
itsDing Senior Member • Posts: 2,414

Put your camera settings on default and picture style on standard, best way to test all new lenses, a standard baseline for everything.

Good advice, I should know that but alas my miss spent youth is catching up to me.

JohnMatrix Regular Member • Posts: 337
questions, questions...

Firstly thanks for posting. But many of us are probably keen to find out how noisy the focusing motor is? e.g. as quiet as your 16-35?

Also, what's the build like? e.g. better than 50/1.4?

Kevin Jorgensen wrote:

Good advice, I should know that but alas my miss spent youth is catching up to me.

Re: questions, questions...

The barrel moves in and out about a quarter of an inch when focusing and you can hear it but I doubt it would be a problem. (Very low whining sound.) I had to listen for it. Its a very short lens as you would know, with a better build than the nifty fifty. I'd put the build on par with my 85f1.8 because of the weight. (Don't have the Canon 50f1.4, have the Sigma instead.)

JohnMatrix Regular Member • Posts: 337

Great, thanks. If the build is as good as the 85/1.8 then that's very good news

Kevin Jorgensen wrote:

The barrel moves in and out about a quarter of an inch when focusing and you can hear it but I doubt it would be a problem. (Very low whining sound.) I had to listen for it. Its a very short lens as you would know, with a better build than the nifty fifty. I'd put the build on par with my 85f1.8 because of the weight. (Don't have the Canon 50f1.4, have the Sigma instead.)

offshore13 Regular Member • Posts: 124

where in Singapore did you bought it. I'm also at singapore right now (Jurong East) I might check it also.

offshore13's gear list:offshore13's gear list
Canon PowerShot A460 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +4 more
Brian Lund Contributing Member • Posts: 510
Seeing your pictures I still might buy this lens!

Seeing your pictures I see absolutely nothing wrong with this lens?
I'm still thinking about buying it..!

-- hide signature --
photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,894

Kevin Jorgensen wrote:

Passing through Singapore and bought the Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM an hour a so ago for $280 Singapore dollars. With a rubber hood and a cheap filter it came to almost $400. I was disappointed with it before I even left the shop. (Put it on my 5DM2.) Went outside into the better light and things just got worse. I'm having problems with my laptop but will try and post some images later. You get what you pay for.

100$ for a cheap rubber hood and cheap filter? (throw the cheap filter away, either a good multicoated one, or nothing).

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II

Just got off the Singapore Flyer. Bought it off Ishida Marketing, 304 Orchard Road, 01-27 Lucky Plaza. Phone 67347679. He said only a few had been distributed. I'm thinking I've probably paid a lot more than its really worth. He had the 16-35f2.8L II on special for $2000, which is a lot more than what I paid for mine. I think he was having a closing down or moving sale. He's got me on the filter although I am impressed by the hood which screws onto the Raydawn 52mm slim uv. The rubber hood can extend to 2 inches or fold back to just over half an inch. I suspect the lens will sell for under $200 US. It is a lens you could quite comfortably carry in your pocket.

Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408

Kevin Jorgensen wrote:

and a cheap filter

Your whole problem could be the addition of that POS... Do try again without a filter!
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,433

On some pictures, vignetting seems huge! Sure, it has a signature, the Canon Holga lens

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads