What'coming from Pentax in 2012

Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions
NorthwestF Senior Member • Posts: 1,039
What'coming from Pentax in 2012

Reading various threads and rumors, it's pretty clear what's coming in 2012

(1) Entry-level K-mount DSLR (Kr replacement)
(2) Already Announced K30

(3) K-5 refresher, same body, same sensor but improved specs and upgrades (focus peaking, video, etc).

That's it for everything that will be on sale 2012. Plus prototype of higher level camera shown (higher than K-5) at Photokina that will have APSC sensor (probably 24 MP), but the camera will not be released this year but in 2013

No full-frame -- no new mirrorless ...

Is everyone happy with that roadmap?

Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
shawn in ak Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: What'coming from Pentax in 2012

No 24MP sensor in the K5 replacement? I'm not necessarily advocating for it as I think 16MP is great, but it seems somewhat likely.

shawn in ak's gear list:shawn in ak's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +1 more
OP NorthwestF Senior Member • Posts: 1,039

shawn in ak wrote:

No 24MP sensor in the K5 replacement? I'm not necessarily advocating for it as I think 16MP is great, but it seems somewhat likely.

I think K-5 refresher will be something like what D300s was for D300 ... Same body and sensor, but spiced up video mode and focus peaking plus software improvements.

No 24 MP sensor till 2013 ...

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,295

NorthwestF wrote:

Yes, because i won't be able to afford the K1 FF so soon after getting the 560mm this fall!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +8 more

miles green wrote:

NorthwestF wrote:

Yes, because i won't be able to afford the K1 FF so soon after getting the 560mm this fall!

560mm (just like 50mm F1.8) is an APSC lens -- they won't even cover the full-frame sensor. I think this trend shows Pentax isn't even considering FF

El Profe Senior Member • Posts: 1,706
Re: What about the K1?

According to rumors the K5 is going to be replaced with the K1. And the K1 is going to be basically a K5 body with the Sony (NEX-7) 24MP's APS-C sensor (not with the 24MP's Sony full frame sensor). Allegedly the AF is also going to be improved to 11 pt.

El Profe wrote:

According to rumors the K5 is going to be replaced with the K1. And the K1 is going to be basically a K5 body with the Sony (NEX-7) 24MP's APS-C sensor

Yes, but it won't be on sale till 2013. Only the prototype shown at photokina

K5 will be upgraded with the same body, sensor, and improved specs before that.

klimbkat
klimbkat Senior Member • Posts: 2,167

NorthwestF wrote:

El Profe wrote:

According to rumors the K5 is going to be replaced with the K1. And the K1 is going to be basically a K5 body with the Sony (NEX-7) 24MP's APS-C sensor

Yes, but it won't be on sale till 2013. Only the prototype shown at photokina

K5 will be upgraded with the same body, sensor, and improved specs before that.

My K20 will have to keep clicking then since the 10% it does not do that the K5 does (at least that I care about) doesn't justify the $$ for a K5 variant . . .

ernieF Senior Member • Posts: 1,591

I'm looking forward to all the K mount dslrs-- BUT, I really really want an articulating LCD on one of them. It seems to me the camera to put a swivel LCD in would have been the K-30. Now I hope it will be in the K5 replacement.

Cheers. Ernie

ernieF's gear list:ernieF's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
Pentax_Prime
Pentax_Prime Senior Member • Posts: 2,505

Pure speculation; the 560mm hasn't even been finalized; and the 50/1.8 hasn't even been tested for frame coverage. Repeating rumors doesn't make them true.

NorthwestF wrote:

560mm (just like 50mm F1.8) is an APSC lens -- they won't even cover the full-frame sensor. I think this trend shows Pentax isn't even considering FF

-- hide signature --

My Website
http://www.andrewallenphoto.com

My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

Pentax_Prime's gear list:Pentax_Prime's gear list
Pentax K-5
Unexpresivecanvas Senior Member • Posts: 1,158
"All I know so far is ....

that I know nothing....." Socrates c. 469 BC – 399 BC and still so valid today in this age of so much information!

But I wish for a CMOS FF, similar performance like Nikon D4 for the price of the D800E.....

If Pentax wants to remain competitive it needs a big next step. Not the same K5 with little improvements. With the excellent quality already in the K5 we shouldn't settle for less than a FF in the upcoming models. People who loves the k5 so much and want to keep the APS-C sensor can buy a k-30.

Meanwhile it is interesting to see the price of Nikon D4 falling bellow 5K, (5K like in 5,000).

Cheers...

jimrpdx
jimrpdx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,473
Re:'coming from Pentax in 2012

NorthwestF wrote:

(3) K-5 refresher, same body, same sensor but improved specs and upgrades (focus peaking, video, etc).

That's it for everything that will be on sale 2012. Plus prototype of higher level camera shown (higher than K-5) at Photokina that will have APSC sensor (probably 24 MP), but the camera will not be released this year but in 2013

I'm very happy with my current setup, but I want Pentax to thrive so more is better.

You mention 'roadmap' without commenting on the "high-magnification zoom" which I find intriguing, a DA 18-200ish lens. We have no hints as to WR, or XS, or any other features. That lens could do 85% of my shots if Pentax pulls it off to my satisfaction; I am not eager or anxious but I do want to hear more! My experience with the 18-135 was not good so I need to hear many good things about this one before breaking the piggy bank.. but I'm listening.

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- K5 user, Alpha a200 & Lumix G1 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN
Meshuggah Contributing Member • Posts: 511
Re: "All I know so far is ....

Unexpresivecanvas wrote:

If Pentax wants to remain competitive it needs a big next step. Not the same K5 with little improvements. With the excellent quality already in the K5 we shouldn't settle for less than a FF in the upcoming models. People who loves the k5 so much and want to keep the APS-C sensor can buy a k-30.

yea this puts me in a bit of a pickle. i currently shoot sony, my first dslr'ish camera. cant stand what they are about, and will upgrade before holloween is here. my issue is i know that i will eventually go FF, simply bc low noise is so important to me. i dont want to go from sony, to pentax, then to canikon to get my FF. i love how pentax has so many weather sealed options, and is now putting focus peeking in as well. the k30 is exactly what i want right now, a huge upgrade over my a33 but kinda a halfway stop until im ready to spend more on a FF. darn pentax for not having a FF.

so i either buy pentax, hoping they will drop a FF in the next couple years, and if they dont then jump ship again...or skip a great system for now in order to plan ahead for FF. just seems like canokon dont offer anything near the k30 for the price...

Pentax_Prime wrote:

Pure speculation; the 560mm hasn't even been finalized; and the 50/1.8 hasn't even been tested for frame coverage. Repeating rumors doesn't make them true.

"DA" officially only cover APSC sensor, and even though there might be some DA lenses that work on FF film cameras (but probably won't with a DSLR with IBIS), officially DA stands for APSC.

Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6
Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,295

But i'll get the 560 to use on the K5!

I don't think there is much point using the 560 f/5.6 on FF, i'd rather save a LOT of money and get the 300 f/4 for the K5.

The reason i want a FF K1 if for low(er) light while using the 3 amigos.

And the 560 for birding!

NorthwestF wrote:

Pentax_Prime wrote:

"DA" officially only cover APSC sensor, and even though there might be some DA lenses that work on FF film cameras (but probably won't with a DSLR with IBIS), officially DA stands for APSC.

Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6
Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +8 more
cmeier Forum Member • Posts: 94

NorthwestF wrote:

Is that so? I have never found the source of that claim -- I think the DA manual only says it stands for optimized for digital, but never explicitly mentions the sensor size.

Then again, it would be a bit confusing if suddenly there where (officially) FF DAs and APS-C DAs, but everything is possible.

cmeier's gear list:cmeier's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Samsung D-Xenon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 +1 more
steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861
Official FF DA

Does exist, it is called DFA. The only lenses to use it though are the 50 and 100mm macro lenses.

-- hide signature --
markku55 New Member • Posts: 1

NorthwestF wrote:

Ok, no FF for 2012, but it might come for 2013:
http://ricehigh.blogspot.fr/2012/06/new-pentax-ff-rumour.html

JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968

miles green wrote:

NorthwestF wrote:

I doubt you'll be able to afford a car... insurance... GROCERIES??? after paying for that 560! Then again, if it truly IS an F5.6 lens, it might not be TOO pricey! F4, well, the F4 600 used to sell in the $7,000 range, I think, didn't it? I think it's still that much, USED, when and if you can get one -- at least that's the gist I get from forum lens guru Ron.
Jeff

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

-- hide signature --

May the Blessings Be.

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +8 more
soheil Senior Member • Posts: 2,881
I think DFA stands for digital and film cameras. N/T

No comments
--
--------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads