Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash vs 565X

Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions
fstein Forum Member • Posts: 61
Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash vs 565X

The 560 is half the price (on Amazon) of the 565X, which is half the price of the Canon speedlight. For a casual shooter looking for reliability, compatibility, and good output, and not into "slavery", how can I lose?
?suggestions?

JBP Senior Member • Posts: 1,014
Re: Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash vs 565X

Buy it direct from Yongnuo and you get a one year warranty. They also toss in the dome diffuser and free shipping. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yongnuo-Upgraded-Flash-Speedlite-YN-560-II-Canon-1100D-1000D-600D-550D-500D-/180816092014?pt=Digital_Camera_Flashes&hash=item2a197a9b6e#ht_5691wt_1254

Not that I can verify this but maybe the seconds go to other vendors that is why they don't offer the same warranty.

BTW, I have 4 of the YN560 II's and they work very well, the slave is very sensitive.
--
35 to 4 x 5 - NPS Member

JBP's gear list:JBP's gear list
Nikon D810
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,345

The YF-560 is a manual power control only flash. The YF-565 EX is a fully E-TTL II compatible flash. The YF-565 is also available with Nikon iTTL compatibility.

If you use E-TTL or iTTL then chose the YF-565.

http://speedlights.net/2010/07/14/yongnuo-yn-560-speedlite-review/#Flash-Head-Features

http://speedlights.net/2011/08/28/yongnuo-yn-565-ex-flash-review/

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Footski
MOD Footski Senior Member • Posts: 2,172

Yes the 560 is manual only, but for a casual flash user, I do not see this as a problem. I use one and in this modern age of instant results, if the picture is too bright simply turn the power down and try again until you have what you want. Reverse this if the picture is too dark.

It is also a very powerful flashgun and works great off camera. At the prices they charge for it, buy it. You can always use it as a second off camera flash if you are not too keen. That said, you will learn more about light and flash photography with one of these than you will with the expensive fully auto models..Only mu opinion you understand.

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,345

Footski, both the TTL and manual only flash have their uses in photography.

You do learn more about flash exposure using a manual power control flash than you do with a TTL flash, but then you have to. TTL makes getting fairly well exposed fill flash images easy, which is sufficient for many photographers.

I rarely use my Nissin Di866 on my 7D, preferring to use use it off-camera to give me better modeling of the light on my subjects. The way I use it is most of the time is in with an umbrella on a stand.

The TTL exposure will change if the background to subject brightness ratio changes. The ratio is different, for instance, for a dark background than for a light one. Even moving or zooming in on the subject can change the subject to background ratio and effect the TTL exposure.

If the subject to light distance is constant, i.e. my model and light are in fixed positions, I use the flash in the manual power control mode to eliminate any exposure variation with background to subject ratio changes. Adjusting the ambient and flash exposures is straight forward with Exposure Control and Flash Exposure Control.

On the other hand if my model to light distance is not fixed then I switch to TTL mode. This means that the exposures will show some variation as the background to subject ratio changes and as the subject to light distance changes. Since I shoot in RAW and carefully set my exposures to avoid either blowing out the highlights or blocking up important shadow areas I can easily modify the exposures in Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw to equalize them.

As I said, both manual power control and TTL have their uses. That is why I recommend buying a TTL flash as your first hot-shoe flash. I also recommend learning how to use it in manual power control mode.

Once you learn how to use your hot-shoe flash in both manual and TTL mode then you can intelligently decide on what kind of additional hot-shoe flash units to buy when you need more. With the low price of hot-shoe flash units like the YF-565 EX, however, it makes little sense to me to buy only manual power hot-shoe flash units unless you need to buy a lot of them.

One example of why you would buy a lot of low cost manual power control only hot-shoe flash units with built-in optical slaves would be to construct a portable large light source the way Syl Arena does by attaching multiple flash units to a long pole or board. Another example would be for portable high power flash where you use a multi flash bracket like this one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751803-REG/Vello_CB_450_Dual_Shoe_Video_Bracket.html

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
HKFreelancePhotographer Junior Member • Posts: 45

YN-560 II has eTTL and is not manual.

Sailor Blue wrote:

Footski, both the TTL and manual only flash have their uses in photography.

You do learn more about flash exposure using a manual power control flash than you do with a TTL flash, but then you have to. TTL makes getting fairly well exposed fill flash images easy, which is sufficient for many photographers.

I rarely use my Nissin Di866 on my 7D, preferring to use use it off-camera to give me better modeling of the light on my subjects. The way I use it is most of the time is in with an umbrella on a stand.

The TTL exposure will change if the background to subject brightness ratio changes. The ratio is different, for instance, for a dark background than for a light one. Even moving or zooming in on the subject can change the subject to background ratio and effect the TTL exposure.

If the subject to light distance is constant, i.e. my model and light are in fixed positions, I use the flash in the manual power control mode to eliminate any exposure variation with background to subject ratio changes. Adjusting the ambient and flash exposures is straight forward with Exposure Control and Flash Exposure Control.

On the other hand if my model to light distance is not fixed then I switch to TTL mode. This means that the exposures will show some variation as the background to subject ratio changes and as the subject to light distance changes. Since I shoot in RAW and carefully set my exposures to avoid either blowing out the highlights or blocking up important shadow areas I can easily modify the exposures in Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw to equalize them.

As I said, both manual power control and TTL have their uses. That is why I recommend buying a TTL flash as your first hot-shoe flash. I also recommend learning how to use it in manual power control mode.

Once you learn how to use your hot-shoe flash in both manual and TTL mode then you can intelligently decide on what kind of additional hot-shoe flash units to buy when you need more. With the low price of hot-shoe flash units like the YF-565 EX, however, it makes little sense to me to buy only manual power hot-shoe flash units unless you need to buy a lot of them.

One example of why you would buy a lot of low cost manual power control only hot-shoe flash units with built-in optical slaves would be to construct a portable large light source the way Syl Arena does by attaching multiple flash units to a long pole or board. Another example would be for portable high power flash where you use a multi flash bracket like this one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751803-REG/Vello_CB_450_Dual_Shoe_Video_Bracket.html

-- hide signature --

hkfreelancephotographer.com

sjwolfhope Regular Member • Posts: 435

HKFreelancePhotographer wrote:

YN-560 II has eTTL and is not manual.

Are you sure about that. The specs on the YN-560 II say M/Multi - nothing about eTTL.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads