imac screen sizes

Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions
Christopher D Mann Regular Member • Posts: 478
imac screen sizes

Hello all, I am getting ready to buy my first imac machine. I have been leaning towards the 27in screen size so I can edit photos with it but I have read some reviews about problems with this size. Is there a problem with the mac 27in. display? Or was this a problem of old that has been corrected. People have spoke of a yellow band in screen and have also read about uneven color from left to right and various other issues. If there is a problem with these machines failing would the 21.5in be a better choice for editing. Thanks.

Christopher D Mann's gear list:Christopher D Mann's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Nik Silver Efex Pro
OwenG Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Re: imac screen sizes

Shouldn't be a problem if you are buying brand new.
--
http://500px.com/oweng

OP Christopher D Mann Regular Member • Posts: 478

Yes I am buying brand new. I am looking at the one with 4GB ram and 1TB HD. I will also be working with raw files from 7D and 5D III. Will ram be enough. I was told at store if I wanted to upgrade drive that screen would have to be removed from case. Did not understand why that would have to be done. Is there a access panel on the new I mac machines for ram upgrade?

Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Nik Silver Efex Pro
Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,876

RAM upgrades are no big deal on an iMac and I dont think 4G is going to make you happy.

Can't address the 'add a drive' issue; that's a relatively new feature but you can often find a tear-down guide on ifixit.com or google it.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,318

Christopher D Mann wrote:

Yes I am buying brand new. I am looking at the one with 4GB ram and 1TB HD. I will also be working with raw files from 7D and 5D III. Will ram be enough.

4GB RAM is minimal, though it might be satisfactory if you are only editing one image at a time and you only have one program open. If you want to edit in bulk and you want multiple apps open (remember, even web browsers like to use tons of RAM now), or if you even want to smash together multiple images for HDR or panoramas, 4GB is way too little. If you are spending an Apple premium for a nice iMac, for photography, and only have 4GB RAM in it, you're sort of wasting the vast majority of your expensive hardware. Heck, 4GB isn't even enough to make full use of a 64-bit CPU. I would start at 8GB.

I was told at store if I wanted to upgrade drive that screen would have to be removed from case. Did not understand why that would have to be done. Is there a access panel on the new I mac machines for ram upgrade?

The RAM is easy to upgrade, there is an access panel. But the drive must be accessed through the screen. In addition, there are severe restrictions on which drives can be used in an iMac, due to some decisions Apple made about them:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1159956/imacharddriveupgrade.html

http://blog.macsales.com/10146-apple-further-restricts-upgrade-options-on-new-imacs

This is the reason I cannot buy an iMac. The only Macs that are harder to upgrade are the Air and the new Retina MacBook Pro.

Thanks for your reply. Just read the two links about upgrading the ram drive on machines. I will just wait and get the 8ram model rather than trying to up grade other sounds like to much risk and not worth it. And I would like to have more than one picture up at a time I was thinking this size so I could images view side by side in lightroom. Thanks again.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 14,448

I was told at store if I wanted to upgrade drive that screen would have to be removed from case. Did not understand why that would have to be done.

Yes, because of the placement of bay(s) relative to the screen. Drive bays are not considered user-serviceable on flat-panel iMacs, and opening up the iMac may void your warranty.

It is possible to add external drives via USB 2.0, Firewire 800, or Thunderbolt – or to connect to network servers via WiFi or Gigabit Ethernet. (Apple has not refreshed the iMacs with USB 3.0 yet.)

It is also possible to customize-order a machine at the online Apple Store.

Is there a access panel on the new I mac machines for ram upgrade?

There's a panel at the bottom of the screen that provides access to four RAM slots. Those are considered user-serviceable (and are the only internal part of the iMac that is).

Marcus Beard Senior Member • Posts: 1,159

Just another view for you.

I run the predecessor to the 27" iMac - a 4yr old 24" iMac with only 4Gb RAM (that tis the maximum the machine will take).

I edit 5d MkII files (which are pretty much the same size as the 5d MkIII files) without and problems using Aperture 3. I have a 400Gb library running off the internal hard disk and have no issues. Yes - it is true that when running Aperture I try to close other programmes (although I usually have safari running).

But clearly - with a machine that can take more RAM - get it - it is a cheap and simple upgrade - takes 5 minutes to do.

Upgrading other stuff is not for the faint hearted - I put in a larger internal hard drive recently and it's a bit like doing open heart surgery! It was successful but I wouldn't want to do it again in a hurry.

Get a 27" machine and don't skimp on the RAM - it will be great

Marcus
--
http://marcusbeard.zenfolio.com

Marcus Beard's gear list:Marcus Beard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +6 more
JediLight Forum Member • Posts: 98

The white elephant in the room however has to be that the iMac is surely about to be upgraded. I am looking to get one also, but would not do now as bets are on that a new model will be launched imminently. Many people were surprised that they weren't launched this week.

My money is on a new model being launched next month with the launch of Mountain Lion. .....I would be very annoyed to lay down all that money and then within a month or two, the next, potentially much improved model just released for similar money. Remember the existing iMac is Sandy Bridge oldish nowadays graphics etc., all in all about a year old, which is about 7 computer years if you get my drift.

JediLight's gear list:JediLight's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +2 more

Thanks everyone for your reply. I think I will wait for next month and see what comes out . Also called apple care last night and got some very good information on the machines and their functions.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,318

Well, the current iMac does come up as "Don't buy!" on the unofficial Mac Buyer's Guide that tries to predict release dates based on previous history...
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 14,448

A near-term revision seems likely, if just for Ivy Bridge CPUs and USB 3.0. Seeing as how Apple didn't "wipe out" the classic MBPs, I doubt that the new iMacs will have any unpleasant surprises (such as: no Firewire 800 or no optical drive).

Same goes for the Mini.

Funduro
Funduro Contributing Member • Posts: 983

Please do not let TMZ know this, but I want to marry my 27' iMac's screen. I'm so in

-- hide signature --

FYI avatar image is by Steve McCurry

Funduro's gear list:Funduro's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 +11 more
Paul Szilard
Paul Szilard Contributing Member • Posts: 798

The current iMacs use a proprietary HDD firmware, which means that you are NOT advised to use 3rd party HD upgrades for internal use. I've just ordered my 27" iMac, but I am going to use a Thunderbolt connected LaCie 4TB enclosure (2x 2TB in RAID 0).

I have already tested this combo on another iMac and it works great. Booting off the external drive, I still got 250MB/sec speed and the LaCie can use any non-Apple hard drives, including SSDs.

Another advantage is that you can move the external drives to another Mac and carry on with no extra configuration. I did this last week, when I booted the LaCie on a MBP whilst working away from home.
--
paul szilard
http://photos.remektek.com.au

Paul Szilard's gear list:Paul Szilard's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +18 more
Paul Szilard
Paul Szilard Contributing Member • Posts: 798

Forgot to mention that RAM upgrades take about 7 minutes to install and cost less than 50% of the genuine MAC prices. But make sure you get Mac certified ram. I use Corsair, but http://www.macsales.com (aka OWC) sell good priced ram.

There are 4 slots in the iMac with 4GB installed as 2x2GB. I am going to install another 16GB (2x 8GB) giving a combined 20GB of ram. As long as you pair the ram sticks this works fine, they don't all need to be the same. I have tried this and it works.

Enjoy...
. --
paul szilard
http://photos.remektek.com.au

Paul Szilard's gear list:Paul Szilard's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +18 more
flynz4 Forum Member • Posts: 51

I would not buy iMac memory from Apple. Instead, get the smallest configuration and then upgrade on your own.

When I upgraded 3 iMacs this past December, I just took out the existing two memory cards from each iMac and replaced them all with four 4GB cards for each iMac... bringing them up to 16GB. At the time, it was cheaper to just replace the existing memory cards with 4GB cards rather than try to preserve the existing memory cards. Last time I looked, 16GB of memory (4X4GB) was well under $100.

As far as HDD, I would get the largest available... or even better, get one with an SSD+HDD. Like others, I am waiting for the '12 iMac to be released before I buy my next (personal) machine. I will get it with the largest combination of SSD+HDD.

One thing to consider, is with Thunderbolt... external storage can be quite fast for the first time. Personally, I would probably go this route rather than open the iMac on my own.

Finally, when the Apple store folks told you they need to open the machine... that is if you want the upgrade to happen in-store. Personally, I would recommend that you order the exact configuration that you want from the Apple Store online. The physical Apple Store is fine when you want the standard configuration... but if you are making changes (other than memory)... I like the config to order options available online.

Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads