Buying 60d with kit lens, opinions please.

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions
ElCap New Member • Posts: 9
Buying 60d with kit lens, opinions please.

Looking to buy the 60D but would like some opinions

Im thinking to either buy with the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit. Which is the better lens?

Another idea was just to buy the body and the 50mm 1.8 seperately. Main use for camera intially will be to photograph the kids and I have read this is good for portraits.

I am also looking at adding a new lens further down the line, the EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens. Maybe buying without a kit lens will save some £ so I could purchase this sooner but thats not a major issue, I can wait longer for this lens if need be.

Im pretty new to dslr photography, got an old 300d I have used now and again. Would the 60D be too advanced for me. Looking for a camera that will last for a long time and something I could grow in to and learn a lot as I get better.

Been reading reviews on the 60d for a while and I kinda have my heart set on it now.

Thanks.

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: Buying 60d with kit lens, opinions please.

To my knowledge the 17-85 is a store bundled lens, not a normal kit lens from Canon.

The 17-85 is an older lens, and from what I've heard doesn't have a great reputation.

I would go with the 18-135mm kit lens. While it is not a USM lens, it should give you the best image quality for the dollar.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Tuckerpup Regular Member • Posts: 177

Don't worry about the camera being "too advanced for you." It has plenty of features that will help you get good use out of it while your moving up the learning curve. If you're the type of person who will get into it, likes to teach yourself new stuff, and enjoys tinkering with different settings, you'll have a ton of fun with an excellent camera.

Tuckerpup's gear list:Tuckerpup's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
ktownbill Senior Member • Posts: 2,191

60D is a cats meow of a camera! Good choice. You will grow into it.

I would get a 50mmf/1.8 or f/1.4 for indoor portraits and an 85mmf/1.8 for outdoors. You will get excellent results out of these lenses especially the 85mm. Talking Canon brand here.

For your walk-around zoom lens you can also consider the 28-135mm kit lens. These can be found used form the 7D users when they upgrade. Very inexpensive and oftentimes found never used by the sellers. I believe this lens is only offered as a kit lens with 7d's. I don't know enough about the other kit lenses to comment.

The Canon 70-200mm f/4 is one of their best lenses.

Definitely consider getting the Canon 15-85mm zoom!! This lens plus 50mm f/1.8 and later on add the 70-200mm and you will be set !!! The 15-85mm is way better than any kit lens and gives you a 15mm wide angle on the low end!! Has IS too!!

Bill

ElCap wrote:

Looking to buy the 60D but would like some opinions

Im thinking to either buy with the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit. Which is the better lens?

Another idea was just to buy the body and the 50mm 1.8 seperately. Main use for camera intially will be to photograph the kids and I have read this is good for portraits.

I am also looking at adding a new lens further down the line, the EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens. Maybe buying without a kit lens will save some £ so I could purchase this sooner but thats not a major issue, I can wait longer for this lens if need be.

Im pretty new to dslr photography, got an old 300d I have used now and again. Would the 60D be too advanced for me. Looking for a camera that will last for a long time and something I could grow in to and learn a lot as I get better.

Been reading reviews on the 60d for a while and I kinda have my heart set on it now.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

img7d

Toebak New Member • Posts: 9

I bought the 60D with the 18-135 kitlens and i'm very happy with my choice. It's a good allround lens and quite fast.

Toebak's gear list:Toebak's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +6 more
Bill Regular Member • Posts: 152

The 18-135mm lens has a versatile range, but definitely isn't a fast lens.

I bought a 60D as my first DSLR a little over a year ago. Now, with 4 lenses, including the 18-135 kit lens, the 18-135 is the one on the camera as I walk around taking pictures of the kids at amusement parks, etc. In my pocket however, is a nifty fifty (50mm f/1.8) for those times when there isn't much light (think partly indoor bumper cars).

Pro photographers will discount the 18-135 based on quality, but doesn't mean you should. They have higher expectations, but also deeper pockets, as their purchases are investments with financial returns. I'm guessing yours isn't (yet), so your requirements won't necessarily align with theirs. I've taken some beautiful pictures with my 18-135, and would have a hard time replacing it with a faster (think f/2.8) lens that doesn't cover nearly that much focal length range.

Just my 2cents.

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,227

The 60D is a good choice but perhaps you should also consider the new 650D/T4i, which has a very good sales price.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/08/Canon-announces-EOS-650D-Rebel-T4i

I recommend a zoom lens over a fixed focus lens as your first lens. This will give you much greater flexibility when taking photos. The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens is a very good first lens for general photography, including taking family photos.

The only drawback to the 18-135mm lens that might effect you is that the lens has trouble focusing in low light situations because of the 3.5-5.6 aperture. This is especially true at longer focal lengths where the minimum is so small (large f number = small aperture).

In low light situations you will have to use the built-in flash, which will give off pre-flashes to help the camera focus and to set the flash power via the E-TTL II function.

A budget hot-shoe flash with a built in focus assist light like the Yongnuo YF-656 EX should be your next purchase. It is more powerful than the built-in flash so it will work better with a lens like the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 one than the built-in flash.

Using a built-in or on-camera flash produces flat uninteresting images. Shadows and highlights from an off-camera flash make your images take on a 3D appearance and make them more interesting.

The YN-656 EX can be used as an off-camera E-TTL II slave to the built-in flash just like the much more expensive Canon 430EX II flash. It is a very good choice for someone just starting flash photography with a E-TTL II capable camera such as the 60D or 650D/T4i.

http://speedlights.net/2011/08/28/yongnuo-yn-565-ex-flash-review/

Once you start exceeding the capabilities of the 18-135mm lens then you should be knowledgeable enough to know which lens you should by next but of course you can always ask for opinions on this forum.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
OP ElCap New Member • Posts: 9

Thanks for the replies folks, so it looks like buying it with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens would be the best option and upgrade at a later date.

I have read in some reports that the grip starts to come off, is this something that happens just in older models or newer models aswel.

Also would it be worth while getting an extended warranty or will a year warranty be enough? Is the camera pretty bullet proof if treated well.

Also, are there any books for the 60d?

Thanks again folks, your replies have been of great help.

If you buy the 60D at Costco it will get a 2nd year warranty free. Treated well the camera should give you several years of trouble-free service. I would skip the extended warranty. The shutter is designed for over 100,000 actuations.

Enjoy your new camera!

ElCap wrote:

Thanks for the replies folks, so it looks like buying it with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens would be the best option and upgrade at a later date.

I have read in some reports that the grip starts to come off, is this something that happens just in older models or newer models aswel.

Also would it be worth while getting an extended warranty or will a year warranty be enough? Is the camera pretty bullet proof if treated well.

Also, are there any books for the 60d?

Thanks again folks, your replies have been of great help.

-- hide signature --

img7d

Scott55 Regular Member • Posts: 269

you mentioned the 17-85... - that is good.

But note that the 15-85 is a slight bit more expensive (has UD glass) is a newer and better regard lens.

I've been looking at the two above, and am thinking of getting the 24-105L lens to pair with my 60D purchase.

I'd normally suggested that someone gets a better USM lens, mainly for the USM adn better build quality, but it's hard to pass over the steep discount you get on the kit lens when purchased with the camera.

Also, if you upgrade i future, the kit can be sold with the body, and used when you let kids borrow camera...

alternatively - a kit lens could become an ash tray in future, where as the higher quality lens, - the 15-85 or the 24-105L could be sold for top dollar...

So you if can afford the initial outlay in extra cash, it's sort of like borrowing it...

note: I'm struggling with this delma myself right now! I'm good with the 60D part of the decision though!

Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 11,020
Couple of thoughts...

Think hard about whether 24mm is wide enough for the wide end of that lens if it's going to function as your general purpose, walk around lens. For some, it OK, particularly if they tend to shoot long rather than wide. For many others, it's simply not wide enough. If you have any history of shooting with a DSLR, look at your images and see whether you tend to favor shooting wide or at longer FLs. In my case, anyway, I shoot wide enough to require at least 18mm or better at the wide end. Even though I have a 10-22 to cover interior and landscape photography, I'd be driving myself nuts swapping out lenses if my walk around lens were a 24-xxx. However, that's my situation and YMMV. My walk around lens is a 17-55.

Don't get too sucked in by the magic red ring, BTW. The 15-85 will deliver image quality pretty well on par with the 24-105, though a tad lower in build quality (which won't matter much unless you abuse the lens).

Scott55 wrote:

alternatively - a kit lens could become an ash tray in future, where as the higher quality lens, - the 15-85 or the 24-105L could be sold for top dollar...

So you if can afford the initial outlay in extra cash, it's sort of like borrowing it...

note: I'm struggling with this delma myself right now! I'm good with the 60D part of the decision though!

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Re: Couple of thoughts...

+1 This advice is spot on.... You do not want to have to keep swapping lenses back and forth. The 15-85mm has the same image quality as the 24-105mm and you will minimize lens swapping. This is a stellar lens as is the 17-55mm that Jerry uses. Think long and hard on this.

Add a 10-22mm in the future to compliment the 15-85mm if you want even wider FoV. This lens also holds its own against the red-ringed lenses,

Bill

Jerry-astro wrote:

Think hard about whether 24mm is wide enough for the wide end of that lens if it's going to function as your general purpose, walk around lens. For some, it OK, particularly if they tend to shoot long rather than wide. For many others, it's simply not wide enough. If you have any history of shooting with a DSLR, look at your images and see whether you tend to favor shooting wide or at longer FLs. In my case, anyway, I shoot wide enough to require at least 18mm or better at the wide end. Even though I have a 10-22 to cover interior and landscape photography, I'd be driving myself nuts swapping out lenses if my walk around lens were a 24-xxx. However, that's my situation and YMMV. My walk around lens is a 17-55.

Don't get too sucked in by the magic red ring, BTW. The 15-85 will deliver image quality pretty well on par with the 24-105, though a tad lower in build quality (which won't matter much unless you abuse the lens).

Scott55 wrote:

-- hide signature --

img7d

Damoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

The 24-105L is a very good lens. Nothing wrong in going for it.

I feel the 17-55 mm f2.8 is the best lens for an APS-C camera. Very good sharpness.

I bought the 15-85mm which IMHO is a bit slow & slightly below part in optical quality compared to the 17-55mm. Its wider & the focal length is pretty good.
Another alternative is the sigma 17-50mm f2.8.

EF-S 10-22mm is a gem of a lens. One of those joys of using an APS-C is the chance to use such lens.

Damoo's gear list:Damoo's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7S Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
happysnapper62
happysnapper62 Contributing Member • Posts: 950

Of course the cheapest alternative is the 18-55 IS kit lens. I got one with my first DSLR a 600d, 6 months ago, & the IQ is very good, & it has IS as well. The next step is the 55-250 IS for your first zoom. Don't let anyone fob you off with "It's only a cheap old kit lens" because both are as good opticaly, as many more expensive lenses, & would be a good way to get into digital photography without breaking the bank. As for books, WH Smith have a pretty good selection, or you could try jessops or Wilkinsons Cameras If there is one near you, or of course Amazon. I was told by the salesman that the 600d would be too complicated for my first DSLR, but I did not want to have to upgrade in a years time so got the 600d. I am the worlds worst when it comes to using computers etc. but am having a blast learning my new toy. Go for it & enjoy. lee uk

Thanks to each of you for your advice.

I respect your opinion on the 24 part of the 24-105L may be a little too wide on the crop. I may well find that out - but I've already ordered - so I'll see!

I do like the 17-55 and maybe 15-85 nearly as much - but the 24-105 was the single higher-end lens (of those three) that was available via Canon's loyalty program (refurbs w/ benefits) - so I that pretty much made my choice for me.

Note that my background includes mostly 35mm film work - so I think that makes me value lens much than younger guys/gals who tend to fixate on sensors & in-body features. I see such a difference between lens, IQ things that I just don't see in most decent sensor comparisons.

My advice the the OP is get a fairly reasonable ef-s 15-85 USM - When they are available in canon refurb, they are $639. If that is above your budget, down grade you body choice so you do have the money to invest in the right lens.

Of course, just my opinion, but I came to the conclusion the kit 18 - 135 just want's going to cut - it would have bothered me every frame I shot.

scotty roxxx Junior Member • Posts: 33

nice 60d bundle at costco 1249.00 with 18-200 lens bag and dvd

Starshot Contributing Member • Posts: 764

I think you'd be nuts to buy a 60d

OP ElCap New Member • Posts: 9

Starshot wrote:

I think you'd be nuts to buy a 60d

Can you expand on this and give a reason why?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads