How important is retina display to editing?

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions
highyellow1 Regular Member • Posts: 156
How important is retina display to editing?

Just trying to decide how important the retina display is to accurate colors/editing? I would normally have it connected to an external monitor but there are a few times when I would only have the laptop itself.

Do you think the new 13" is perfectly useable?

highyellow1's gear list:highyellow1's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,574
Re: How important is retina display to editing?

I'm interested in this question, too.

AndrewScott Regular Member • Posts: 118

Its not that important to editing. One of the best things is less glare.

All of the macbook pros calibrate nicely and I would do a whole wedding on my macbook 13inch if needs be. Although I like a large screen. 16gb of ram will help a lot more

One thing that puts me off the retina macbook is the lack of expansion!!

Having more pixels is ok, but not essential.

OP highyellow1 Regular Member • Posts: 156

Thanks for the info. Lack of being user upgradable is the main reason for me. I'd also be using a 24" monitor most of the time.

I'll go with 13" that I can have dual hdd & upgrade the ram.

Per Zangenberg Senior Member • Posts: 1,266

Like the new iPad has proved, many cannot tell the difference. However one might think it has a larger color gamut and calibrates better than the regular screen. Is the old 15" also IPS?

Alpha Doug Veteran Member • Posts: 9,222

I believe the older screen is IPS. The main issue for a good monitor would be expanded gamut. And I prefer the matte finish which is only available on the standard 15" MBPS. I would wait to see the new retina model in person to make the decision.
--
Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}

http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
TeaAholic Regular Member • Posts: 162

No, old screen was a TN panel. Retina is the first in the MacBook line to have an IPS display if I'm not mistaken.

TeaAholic's gear list:TeaAholic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Sony RX100 NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Art Jacks Senior Member • Posts: 2,693

Slightly off topic but earlier in this thread it was mentioned that the owner could not upgrade components, does anyone know if the case is totally sealed or as with the previous generation if you were brave enough and did mind voiding your warranty you could remove the base and in my case upgrade the ram to 8GB at a much more sensible price by going to Crucial direct.

linetest Regular Member • Posts: 308

Art Jacks wrote:

Slightly off topic but earlier in this thread it was mentioned that the owner could not upgrade components, does anyone know if the case is totally sealed or as with the previous generation if you were brave enough and did mind voiding your warranty you could remove the base and in my case upgrade the ram to 8GB at a much more sensible price by going to Crucial direct.

Memory is soldered onto system board and cannot be changed. Flash memory (aka SSD) is in a socket and is replaceable. However, since nobody makes any interchangeable flash modules for this system, it too should be considered unchangeable. Maybe replacement modules will be available in the future, but the cost effectiveness of removing 256GB and installing a larger third party module is in question.

OP highyellow1 Regular Member • Posts: 156

So I went to look at the RMBP today & from comparing to the regular 15" could definitely see a difference with respect to sharpness, what I believe is micro-contrast, just clarity throughout the pic. Now this was only spending a few minutes looking at few pics. Although I could definitely see a difference, I'm not sure if it's life changing. I ended up buying the MacBook Pro 13" for a number of personal reason; the biggest being my external 24" screen.

I thought for awhile about the RMBP but at the end of the day they didn't have any base models in stock & I needed a computer now.

Thanks for everyone's inputs.

Peter Rongsted Senior Member • Posts: 1,641

Art Jacks wrote:

In the keynote Phil Schiller showed a picture of the bottom plate. I† has ten screws like the regular MBP. They could be unusual screws like on the MBA, though.

The base model RMBP already has 8GB, so no upgrade needed. If you want to go to 16GB it is $200 extra. At crucial.com two 8GB modules cost $87 each, so Apples price is not outrageous.

Peter

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT102464BF160B

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads