X2 shutter speed issue for non-blur image

Started Jun 9, 2012 | Discussions
trseattle Forum Member • Posts: 87
X2 shutter speed issue for non-blur image

Just received new X2. AF is much improved over X1. But it is very difficult to get a non-blurred image in shutter speed under 125. 9 out 10 are slightly blurred. I can't believe there is any image stabilization in effect on this version. I have it activated but can't shoot under 125 and be sure to get a clean image. Frustrating.

trseattle's gear list:trseattle's gear list
Samsung EX2F Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 6D +5 more
Leica X1 Leica X2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PJ711 Regular Member • Posts: 443
Re: X2 shutter speed issue for non-blur image

Sorry, but if you can't get a sharp image at 1/100 sec it's user error.

photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653
Oh Oh this was reported by Steve Huff even with tripod

Steve Huff wrote:
However, in the article called “UPDATE: The Fuji X100 still rocks!”:

“It also seems to be prone to the teeniest but of hand shake as many of the shots I snapped with the X2 of Shea (the girl in these photos) had some sort of blur or they were not sharp if the shutter speed was lower than 1/100th. I was able to get sharp images with the X100 and OM-D in the same light where the X2 was giving me unsharp images in some situations.”

In the comments in the same article:

“User error when using a tripod? Don’t think so. Maybe Leica sent me a faulty X2? Maybe the firmware loaded on this one is “prototype” like the MM they sent me? I wouldn’t know as I have had no communication from Leica (as in, they have told me nothing). The fact is, when doing side by side with other cameras this X2 in my possession is not as sharp as the other contenders or the X1. It is still very sharp, just not as sharp. Other cameras have pulled ahead of the X2 in this department, according to my tests with the camera I have. Does it mean the X2 is bad? No, it is highly capable of taking beautiful photos and the color beats the X100, as the X1 did. I enjoy the X2 and wish I could buy one because it has a lure about it. Is it the red dot? No, it is the signature of the images which are beautiful when they are “right”.

I was reporting on my findings of the X2 and while shooting it side by side with the X100, E-M5 and even D800 none of the other cameras gave me any issues under 1/100th, only the X2. Was an observation that I reported on instead of hid. Thanks”

Then in the article called “Leica X2 and Fuji X100 side by side one more time…”:

“The Leica X2
Nice construction, quality feel

More prone to hand shake than the X100 at same shutter speed”

-- hide signature --

Is it possible that you had "Stabilization ON" which takes two pictures and selects? Maybe disabling that would help. Keep speeds over 1/100. Still that is preventing me from getting the X2. I used to get great 1/20 and 1/30 results from my X1.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X70 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X-T100 +1 more
Ming wrote he had no problem, so did another user

There is another recent thread on this issue where Ming and another user denied blurriness in slow shots. Still what is going on?

Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X70 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X-T100 +1 more
PJ711 Regular Member • Posts: 443
Re: Ming wrote he had no problem, so did another user

what is going on is that Huff is a camera reviewer who can't shoot, and novices are reading the nonsense he writes as gospel. If you can't hold a camera steady and get a decently sharp photo at 1/100th of a second you don't know how to hold a camera. It's really that simple. There cannot be anything inherentlly different about the X2 that defies pretty simple physics.

joonap New Member • Posts: 1

Have you tried taking a shot with the IS shut off? Maybe the IS implementation is faulty in the firmware?

Andystack Junior Member • Posts: 49

have 200 plus shots on my x2 after a day and a half shooting in a random carefree fashion and frankly have not seen any blurring issues, just clean crisp amazing color photos. me and another fellow posted a 100% crops on the leicaforum site, not having any issues, even the whole low rez screen issue is just troll fodder.

Andystack's gear list:Andystack's gear list
Leica X2

here are 2 100% crops from jpegs, both shot at 1/60th of a second. no PP or anything just the camera straight out of the box and firing away;

Leica X2
gmac985 Junior Member • Posts: 25

I quite agree that the lcd thing is troll fodder. Its sharp and crisp so the specs mean absolutley nothing.

Re: Oh Oh this was reported by Steve Huff even with tripod

Steve huff is smart. The X2 needs a methodical study at 1/20 and other slow speeds.

mcshan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,304
try shutting OFF stabilization

If the X2 is like the X1 I believe with stabilization ON the camera takes TWO photos and combines them. Handheld shots will struggle to be sharp. Shut the IS off. Certainly worth a try.

I have to admit I am curious what is going on.

mcshan's gear list:mcshan's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon G9 X II Sony RX1R Leica X Vario Sony RX100 IV +10 more
intruder61 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
Re: try shutting OFF stabilization

mcshan wrote:

If the X2 is like the X1 I believe with stabilization ON the camera takes TWO photos and combines them. Handheld shots will struggle to be sharp. Shut the IS off. Certainly worth a try.

I have to admit I am curious what is going on.

he has just posted why....Leica have sent him a new camera with the updated FW.
it is sharper.

Good of him to update his review so quickly, so, looks like the black one is sharper than the silver one!

Leica X2
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,216
Try decaf... (n/t)

Joe

Re: try shutting OFF stabilization

Thanks, I just finished reading that in the other "blur" thread. That is great news. I would STILL shut of the X2 IS for the reason I noted.

photoshutter Contributing Member • Posts: 748

Did you shot from tripod?
--
Still Life Photography
http://www.photoshutter.ca

Feudal1
Feudal1 Regular Member • Posts: 367

PJ711 wrote:

what is going on is that Huff is a camera reviewer who can't shoot, and novices are reading the nonsense he writes as gospel. If you can't hold a camera steady and get a decently sharp photo at 1/100th of a second you don't know how to hold a camera. It's really that simple. There cannot be anything inherentlly different about the X2 that defies pretty simple physics.

That's rather unfair. Steve Huff is an experienced photographer. The issue was actually that his review copy was a pre-production X2 that had problems with sharpness. He purchased a second X2 from retail, and found the sharpness to be much better. He also discovered that the firmware on the initial review camera was actually pre-production:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/06/09/a-tale-of-two-leica-x2-cameras/

Feudal1's gear list:Feudal1's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 +3 more
Feudal1
Feudal1 Regular Member • Posts: 367

joonap wrote:

Have you tried taking a shot with the IS shut off? Maybe the IS implementation is faulty in the firmware?

I don't think it's faulty, but the in camera IS isn't really IS. It's the camera taking two shots in rapid fashion, and combining them together. If you aren't holding the camera still, or if something in the scene is moving, you're going to get blur. I have it turned off in camera, as I see no use for it.

Here is a shot I took last night, at 1/80, f/3.5, ISO 1600 (shot as an in camera JPG, with in camera sharpness turned DOWN):

And here is a 100% crop:

Shooting at less than 1/100s is not a problem. Note that I have in-camera IS turned off, as it's not really IS.

Feudal1's gear list:Feudal1's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 +3 more

Exactly what I referred to in another post except in our case it was the X1. With the X1 we found it better to limit IS to those shots taken with a tripod, no wind and a static subject. Despite this I never found myself wishing the X1 had traditional IS.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing X2 shots taken by forum members.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,216
Did you really mean that?

mcshan wrote:

Exactly what I referred to in another post except in our case it was the X1. With the X1 we found it better to limit IS to those shots taken with a tripod, no wind and a static subject. Despite this I never found myself wishing the X1 had traditional IS.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing X2 shots taken by forum members.

IS on a tripod?

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads