Fotki Picture Hosting Did anyone get this or is it spam, those who use

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions
digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
Fotki Picture Hosting Did anyone get this or is it spam, those who use

Dear Fotki Member,

We love our users, and we love what we do, but the BIG GUN (Facebook, Google and others) have been such a powerful force to deal with, that SMALL GUYS like Fotki have to find ways to adjust.

We analyzed our servers, and it looks like many of our members, like you, store many gigabytes of old photos, which are never viewed by anybody for years and years. It costs us money to host these photos, and since nobody is looking at them, we are wasting our valuable resources to host them.

In order for us to optimize our service, we are reaching out to you, and asking for your help. If you really want us to keep your originals, we have no choice but to start charging for hosting them, but don't worry, we need VERY LITTLE. We are not asking for much, just to know that you care about your photos and you really need them. If you don't need your photo originals, then you don't have to pay for anything extra, and we will just go ahead and erase them from our servers.

We will charge just 8 Fotki Credits per gigabyte per month (around 5...6 cents), which comes to just 50 cents a month for a large 10GB photo collection. This is five times cheaper than buying your cup of coffee! /

I have a premium, pay for account. Now that they have my 20 K of pictures, they want to charge me more on top of my annual fee for this?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050
Re: Fotki Picture Hosting Did anyone get this or is it spam, those who use

Contact them direct if you think it might be spam and simply ask.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

digitalshooter
OP digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
They no longer list a phone number and

I just tried to FTP in and download my pictures, and it tells me I must pay and setup an FTP account now.

I have prepayed 10 years, lesson learned, and now they are holding my pictures and access hostage!

I will find out who to file a complaint with in Canada, this is outrageous. There was no warning at all and no refund!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

zvadim New Member • Posts: 7
Re: They no longer list a phone number and

I've prepaied through 2015, way to screw over you paying customers Fotki...

Boris
Boris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,257

Dear Fotki Member,

We love our users, and we love what we do, but the BIG GUN (Facebook, Google and others) have been such a powerful force to deal with, that SMALL GUYS like Fotki have to find ways to adjust.

We analyzed our servers, and it looks like many of our members, like you, store many gigabytes of old photos, which are never viewed by anybody for years and years. It costs us money to host these photos, and since nobody is looking at them, we are wasting our valuable resources to host them.

In order for us to optimize our service, we are reaching out to you, and asking for your help. If you really want us to keep your originals, we have no choice but to start charging for hosting them, but don't worry, we need VERY LITTLE. We are not asking for much, just to know that you care about your photos and you really need them. If you don't need your photo originals, then you don't have to pay for anything extra, and we will just go ahead and erase them from our servers.

We will charge just 8 Fotki Credits per gigabyte per month (around 5...6 cents), which comes to just 50 cents a month for a large 10GB photo collection. This is five times cheaper than buying your cup of coffee!

Thank you in advance for your understanding and your support!
[ Pay to support Fotki and keep your originals ]

I have been a paying member since 2000 and paid up to 2020.
Is this even legal to cut off access to my originals?

Boris

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +41 more
Nell27
Nell27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,708

digitalshooter wrote:

Dear Fotki Member,

Sounds strange when they are actually considered one of the world's largest social networking sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fotki

sent this to their customer service:

Dear Fotki,

I have prepaid through 2015 for unlimited hosting of my photos including originals as well as FTP in/out transfers. Since you now desire to unilaterally change your ToS in mid-subcription to make those services cost extra, please provide me with the following:
1) Refund of my unused subscription.

2) A way to withdraw my photo collection by either re-enabling my FTP access to download originals in bulk, or ship them to the default mailing address on my account. Please be sure to retain file names & EXIF data.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-- hide signature --

now let's see if they'll start arbitrary cancelling accounts of all who complain

Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050
I found a phone number, address and support email easily

http://about.fotki.com/contact-us/

I think you're assuming the worst. Check it's not a scam before anything else.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Re: I found a phone number, address and support email easily

the combination of original storage & file transfers suddenly becoming an extra w/out a grace period, is definitely cause for thinking the worst.

Annabel
Annabel New Member • Posts: 20
this is even worse than it looks

I have two accounts on Fotki, one for our impov theatre community and one personal photo archive, both prepaid until 2013.
I got the same letter on both of them.

Yes, they had unplugged the servers BEFORE they have sent these letters, so I cannot get access to the originals.

What is more, when I decided to pay for the access to the originals (I need to backup our theater account because I don't have many of those photos on my harddrive), I get this:

"This is a paid service, please deposit $30 to your Fotki Money account.
We accept MasterCard, Visa, Amex, Discover credit cards and PayPal."

$30 buys me 3300 credits, worth years and years of this service, but I cannot pay on monthly basis, as the letter falsely implies ("we will charge just 8 Fotki Credits per gigabyte per month (around 5...6 cents)")

This is damn expensive for a "cup of coffee", thanks a lot!

I assume they are on the edge of bankruptcy, so they don't care anymore.

Annabel's gear list:Annabel's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
digitalshooter
They have locked my photos and I cant download my own originals

This is not right!

They have taken our photos hostage for more money.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter
Thats a fax, they use to post a land line (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter
Ministry of Consumer Affairs has a complaint form to

download.

This is not good folks!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

Boris
Boris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,257
Re: this is even worse than it looks

If you don't pay they will erase your originals from their server... quote "If you don't need your photo originals, then you don't have to pay for anything extra, and we will just go ahead and erase them from our servers."
Boris
--
http://public.fotki.com/borysd/

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +41 more
mishenka Junior Member • Posts: 30

I do not think this is legal. They cannot change terms of already paid in advance accounts, especially without a warning. I have gathered images from their website that prove that Premium account really is and was advertised as unlimited cloud storage for photos. I will contact them and immediately sue if they do not honor the agreement between myself and their business entity. Here are the images if anyone wants to go the same route.

Gordon Cheng Forum Member • Posts: 63

I've been with Fotki for a long time and felt really upset how they handle this...

digitalshooter
WAIT till you read this is plain extortion

Hello Ed,

Sorry, but we are in trouble here and we have no choice :-/ Not enough people are renewing their membership, and just can't afford to pay for hosting, and if we don't downscale very fast, hosting facility can just shut us down in no time and then everyone will loose their photos, and we don't want that! So, after analyzing, we see that many people just use store photos and nobody opening old photos much, most of the activity is on new albums and new photos. So, if we downscale by 70..80% our datacenter footprint, we will be able to stay in business, and provide a wonderful service which we been doing for the last 14 years. We get a lot of emails, and mostly people support us and want us to stay in business, so, that's a good news, and this gives us power and energy to fight!

So, if you really care about your originals, and you don't have them on your cd/dvds at home, like most people do, then please enable "storing photo original" service, and we will know not to delete your originals.

Hope you understand and will support us!

If you want, you can send me your phone number, and I can call you and we can discuss this over the phone.

Thank you in advance,
Dmitri Don / Fotki founder

On 6/8/12 4:49 PM, Ed Cuccia (Digitalshooter) wrote:
Dear Sir:

I am in receipt of a “Guest Correspondence” from your organization saying that I will have to start paying you for hosting my pictures. I am a pre-paid premium member and I don’t understand how you can just take my money for annual renewal and then just change my account?

Please advise as I thought that that was why I was paying for a premium account, and not just having a free account?.

Thanks,

digitalshooter

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

aardvark7
aardvark7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,110
This is a scenario I could see coming!

It has often been a thought of mine that all the hype surrounding online storage of media completely ignored the obvious and was always at risk if the business does not hold up.

Even when contracts are in place so, on the face of it, conditions should not be changed without agreement, if the original plan cannot be supported financially then there is no recourse if the company goes bust. You can't sue an extinct entity!

Unless someone can address these basic problems then 'cloud' based anything will always be inherently a risky option.

There is no absolutely safe repository for photographs, whether physical or virtual, but I would only ever regard online storage as a backup (and a pretty pricey and time consuming one at that!).

-- hide signature --

2012 : My new year's resolution -

To be decided...

digitalshooter
Thoise are gone now (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,565
Re: This is a scenario I could see coming!

While I completely agree with you that no one should allow themselves to be 100% dependant on Cloud storage, the main problem here seems to be the fact that Fotki did not (is not) allowing users any grace period to remove or copy their data before imposing the storage fee.

I feel that Fotki must be in serious financial trouble, but imposing this new storage fee without issuing a grace period to existing subscribers leaves them open to litigation, which will only ensure their demise.

If I were you, I would want to be at the head of that litigation line, if at all possible.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +52 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads