SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions
dpreviewprov Regular Member • Posts: 336
SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com
1

All names and dates/place has been replaced with XXXXX to protect the identity of the lawyer/police officer who helped me.

......................

My experience:

On the first week of XXXXXXXX XXXX (date), I was shopping around for camera accessories.

Then I found this website: http://www.sale-point.com (their warehouse/physical address is in Thailand).

Their prices are so good. I started to put things in the internet shopping cart.

However, after doing some thinking, I decided NOT to proceed with the purchase. (in other words, I did NOT enter my credit card information on their website). [I did not complete the transaction because I felt that I cannot trust this company].

About two weeks later, I received an email from them saying that I owe them EURO 25 being for "cancellation fee". I did not respond because I felt that this is a scam. (after all, I never completed the transaction, so how can I owe them money?).

Two or three weeks later (XXXXXX XXXX (month year)), I received a letter in the post from a GERMAN debt collection company ( http://www.profaktura.de ). Profaktura said that they act on behalf of http://www.sale-point.com . They also said that I must pay EURO 129 being for "cancellation fee" and "debt collection cost".

Can you advise me what to do?

.............

RESPONSE FROM NSW POLICE ( http://www.police.nsw.gov.au ) / ( http://www.crimestoppers.com.au/cs/home.jsp ) via email on 31 May 2012 at 7:29am

XXXX (my name),

Do not reply to the emails/letters.

These do sound like scammers. Due to the large number of scams, the government has established a unit to investigate them called SCAMwatch.

Can you please report this matter to SCAMwatch on 1300795995, or their website http://www.scamwatch.gov.au

NOTE: SCAMwatch is an Australian Government website operated by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

Regards,
Senior Constable XXXXXX
Crime Stoppers Unit
1800 333 000

...................

Email from XXXXX (name), a lawyer with http://www.asic.gov.au (due to its length, only about half of the email is included here):

8 June 2012

Dear XX (my name),

RE: http://www.sale-point.com .

We refer to your correspondence dated XXXX. We note that the concerns you raised primarily relate to what is known as a fake debt invoice scam.

A fake debt invoice scam is simply a bill for something you did not order.

What you can do
Do not pay the invoice and do not supply/clarify any of your details.

If you have already responded to a fake debt invoice scam, we advise you to contact your banking institution to find out what they can do to assist you to prevent further funds being transferred from your account. Unfortunately, if you have already transferred money to the scammer’s account, it is very unlikely that it will be able to be recovered.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has jurisdiction over fake debt invoice scams and you should report these scams at its SCAMwatch website: http://www.scamwatch.gov.au

..........

XXXXXX , Lawyer
Misconduct & Breach Reporting
ASIC (www.asic.gov.au)

robulater
robulater Regular Member • Posts: 203
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

its good that you have posted that here you what theu say if it sounds like a dog barks like a dog it usually is there so many cons now you have to be on your gard and it will only going to get more of them with so many people loseing there jobs
--
Robert McNeil

Stuart001
Stuart001 Contributing Member • Posts: 592
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

Great to see the whole episode reproduced here, and good that you didn't get caught. Scam watch seems to be Australia-wide now, and is a terrific resource. Before I buy anything on line I always look at their site as well as a quick Google. If there is a scam, someone, somewhere will likely have posted on a forum.

This for example for the AVforum:

"My experience of sale-point.com is that they are not a genuine retailer and the whole thing is a con. I ordered a mobile phone from them paying by PayPal and it never arrived. They were very good at keeping me informed of progress of my order until the 45 day time limit for raising a claim with PayPal expired, after which they totally ignored my emails. "

Interestingly I just looked at the 'sale-point' website. I use Firefox with the 'Flagfox' add-in (a most useful addition to your address bar!), and while it doesn't necessarily mean much, their ISP server is iWeb Technologies in Montreal, Canada.

 Stuart001's gear list:Stuart001's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +14 more
Narog Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

Thanks for posting. This is very helpful.

Interesting to note from their web site is that the company they are registered under "Import Export Group Co.Ltd." also run the following web sites (which all seem to lead back to Sales-point.com)

i-camera-online.com,
camera-point.com,
cam-point.com,
digitalcamera-point.com,
kamera-point.com,
fuji-cameras.com,
kamera-shop-online.com,
camera-onlinestore.com,
camera-onlineshop.com
camera-objektive.com

 Narog's gear list:Narog's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
OP dpreviewprov Regular Member • Posts: 336
Narog, thank you for posting. ....

Keep up the good work!

Narog wrote:

Thanks for posting. This is very helpful.

Interesting to note from their web site is that the company they are registered under "Import Export Group Co.Ltd." also run the following web sites (which all seem to lead back to Sales-point.com)

i-camera-online.com,
camera-point.com,
cam-point.com,
digitalcamera-point.com,
kamera-point.com,
fuji-cameras.com,
kamera-shop-online.com,
camera-onlinestore.com,
camera-onlineshop.com
camera-objektive.com

OP dpreviewprov Regular Member • Posts: 336
Stuart001...thank you for posting

Keep up the good work.

Stuart001 wrote:

Great to see the whole episode reproduced here, and good that you didn't get caught. Scam watch seems to be Australia-wide now, and is a terrific resource. Before I buy anything on line I always look at their site as well as a quick Google. If there is a scam, someone, somewhere will likely have posted on a forum.

This for example for the AVforum:

"My experience of sale-point.com is that they are not a genuine retailer and the whole thing is a con. I ordered a mobile phone from them paying by PayPal and it never arrived. They were very good at keeping me informed of progress of my order until the 45 day time limit for raising a claim with PayPal expired, after which they totally ignored my emails. "

Interestingly I just looked at the 'sale-point' website. I use Firefox with the 'Flagfox' add-in (a most useful addition to your address bar!), and while it doesn't necessarily mean much, their ISP server is iWeb Technologies in Montreal, Canada.

salepoint New Member • Posts: 2
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

Good morning,

Please note that we are not scammed. We are a registered Company that has been for several years as one of the largest exporters of electronics on the market.

We give only operations on a collection agency, for which we have provided a service, but no payment has been received. For example, if an order has already been sent out, but here no payment is received, this parcel is blocked and sent back to us. This results in costs that we have to expense. If the customers do not respond to one of six emails, responding to the notice of a cancellation free of charge, then we give as an operation of a collection agency.

We have about 750,000 customers. It is understandable, there occur a few customers will delay, packet loss, or other difficulties.

If you have problems or complaints, please contact our complaints team on complaints@sale-point.com.

Please include your customer number or order number and the support staffs will resolve your problems with you.

We are expecting in having satisfied customers and not the customers, who accuse us of cheating. All the problems and difficulties can be solved.

Ms. Maleerat Jamroonchat
Management
Import Export Group Co.,Ltd.

bluenoser23
bluenoser23 Senior Member • Posts: 2,032
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

For some reason, this reply does not inspire a great deal of confidence.

salepoint wrote:

Good morning,

Please note that we are not scammed. We are a registered Company that has been for several years as one of the largest exporters of electronics on the market.

We give only operations on a collection agency, for which we have provided a service, but no payment has been received. For example, if an order has already been sent out, but here no payment is received, this parcel is blocked and sent back to us. This results in costs that we have to expense. If the customers do not respond to one of six emails, responding to the notice of a cancellation free of charge, then we give as an operation of a collection agency.

We have about 750,000 customers. It is understandable, there occur a few customers will delay, packet loss, or other difficulties.

If you have problems or complaints, please contact our complaints team on complaints@sale-point.com.

Please include your customer number or order number and the support staffs will resolve your problems with you.

We are expecting in having satisfied customers and not the customers, who accuse us of cheating. All the problems and difficulties can be solved.

Ms. Maleerat Jamroonchat
Management
Import Export Group Co.,Ltd.

-- hide signature --

James

 bluenoser23's gear list:bluenoser23's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D40 +13 more
salepoint New Member • Posts: 2
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

750 000 customers trust us. The posting was just a suggestion to which email can make a complaint. Anyone who places an order but not paid, should write a cancellation. That's the least one can expect that.

The customer, who did not receive goods, but paid by Paypal --- Please contact our complaint department

Logichazard Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com
2

Multiple country setup to make it nearly impossible to take legal action, check

Dodgey server swapping history, 9 changes on 7 different IP addresses in 5 years, check

Creepy instant response on a forum you had no previous ID on, check.

Tell tale typos and broken english, check

Google search show several cases of other people calling you out as scammers, check

Yeah, seems legit.

hwnchk New Member • Posts: 1
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

Thank you for posting this here, i only wish i had found it earlier. But it does help to explain my own experience.

I have had a similar experience with Sale-Point while trying to purchase a lens. the only problem is that *their* systems continually rejected my payment attempts (there are over 15 emails back and forth between us), on one of the occasions 12 times.  I eventually sent an email requesting a paypal link, and that if i didn't receive it the next day would have to abandon purchase as i was leaving on a trip.  i received no paypal link, but then an email saying the goods were shipped!!! I ignored it as i figured it must be a mistake.  a few weeks later they sent me a cancellation notice so i figured it was done.

they are now trying to get over 100 euro from me, the organisation called Profaktura, on behalf of Sale-Point. I have not received any lens, nor managed to pay for anything.  I have tried discussing with their customer care, again, to no avail.

If their systems send goods to a warehouse before receiving payment, while they continue to reject payment attempts, I do not understand how i can be held responsible for it? especially as i continued a dialogue in good faith.  Charging customers for their faulty processing is not good business practice, and strikes me as fraudulent.

I would warn everyone (esp their quoted 750k customers) to stay away. maybe that is how their prices are so low?

james005 Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

Unfortunately this company is a scam. Their website stated they have items in stock in an EU warehouse, and stated 10-12 working days delivery. Once you place an order you get delivery updates via their website customer account page which show your order being sent from abroad outside the EU, to a "local distribution centre". From my own experience my order never arrived.

They eventually sent an email after 5 weeks stating expected delivery time to my address has been exceeded and that they will investigate and that if the item cannot be located they would send me an express delivery of a replacement. I therefore requested a refund immediately, and have to date made a total of 5 requests for a refund and requested some evidence of tracking for their shipping provider, as I don't believe they sent it in the first place.

Then they start to mess you around, asking you to contact them if you don't receive an update from the investigation.  After that I got no proper answers. They send replies in German, and even sent an email saying that due to a system change over they had to reset their support system and that I would have to resubmit my query if it was still a pressing issue. The transaction is now in dispute with Paypal, but i-store-online.com / sale-point.com try to delay and stall you as much as possible. They had no intention of ever providing me with the product.

Avoid them and save yourself the trouble. Its been over 6 weeks since I ordered my item and I'm no closer to receiving my order or a refund.

JeffryZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,389
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

I would be cautions of anybody offering what may seem to be "too good to be true" prices on things. Camera lenses and bodies are rarely discounted unless the manufacturer has reduced their prices.  I cannot comment on personal experience with the company in this thread though.  If you do get items, they may or may not be covered under warranty where you live.

-- hide signature --

I would like to invite you to visit my photo gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/jeffryz/galleries

 JeffryZ's gear list:JeffryZ's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +1 more
Karthik D7100 New Member • Posts: 7
Re: SCAM ALERT: www.sale-point.com

Thanks for spreading the news. It is always better to buy things from the manufacturer authorised re-sellers to get warranty and peace of mind.

On a lighter note they(Sale-point) seems to be really nice guys who would do anything for the satisfaction of the customers. They even offer a one-of-a-kind service to charge your battery before they ship it to you.

How nice they are to offer a free battery charging service.

 Karthik D7100's gear list:Karthik D7100's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads