River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions
KFoisy Regular Member • Posts: 406
River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

I almost stopped posting on this forum. If not for the great work of several that post here, I might have discontinued. Why? Because of those that feel that a somewhat anonymous forum is a place to trash others work.

Then I thought for a moment and realized that this is also a place of friends. A place where we can encourage one another's passion for photography. And I for one do not want to allow these "negative types" to ruin something that many of us really enjoy.

So, with that in mind, I will continue to share. If you have constructive criticism and would like to offer a "positive" message, then I look forward to your comments.

On the other hand, if you can't find anything positive to say (whether you're a novice or a pro), just plain don't like my work, you're having a bad day, whatever .. then please do us all a favour and move right along. No need to leave negative comments that discourage me and others. Thank you!

This shot was taken with the M9 and the wonderful Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50 f1.5. It's three shots, taken in portrait orientation and then stitched in CS5. The shots were taken from the back of my boat just after the sun set. This is the view of the wonderful 1000 Islands in the St. Lawrence River that divides Canada and the US between Ontario and New York state. Of course, an exported jpg does not do justice to the nearly 54Megapixels of information in this image.

Thanks for looking!

Artichoke
Artichoke Forum Pro • Posts: 12,425
breathtaking sunset

exquisite colors, that are an excellent example of what the M9 can deliver
a superb stitching job as well

I understand your comments about negative posts, but hope you will continue to favor us with your work, particularly when as fine as this
you set the bar high
--
--
pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
http://www.pbase.com/artichoke

"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

 Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +13 more
RaajS Veteran Member • Posts: 6,136
Breath-taking!

Kevin,

What a breath-taking image! I can only imagine what this would look like in a large print. Couldn't agree with Art more - images like this raise the bar, inspire, and continue to be the prime reason that a lot of us hang out in this forum.

Well done!

Cheers,
-raaj

KFoisy wrote:

I almost stopped posting on this forum. If not for the great work of several that post here, I might have discontinued. Why? Because of those that feel that a somewhat anonymous forum is a place to trash others work.

Then I thought for a moment and realized that this is also a place of friends. A place where we can encourage one another's passion for photography. And I for one do not want to allow these "negative types" to ruin something that many of us really enjoy.

So, with that in mind, I will continue to share. If you have constructive criticism and would like to offer a "positive" message, then I look forward to your comments.

On the other hand, if you can't find anything positive to say (whether you're a novice or a pro), just plain don't like my work, you're having a bad day, whatever .. then please do us all a favour and move right along. No need to leave negative comments that discourage me and others. Thank you!

This shot was taken with the M9 and the wonderful Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50 f1.5. It's three shots, taken in portrait orientation and then stitched in CS5. The shots were taken from the back of my boat just after the sun set. This is the view of the wonderful 1000 Islands in the St. Lawrence River that divides Canada and the US between Ontario and New York state. Of course, an exported jpg does not do justice to the nearly 54Megapixels of information in this image.

Thanks for looking!

OP KFoisy Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

This is a second in the set, taken a few minutes earlier while the sun was still above the horizon. This shot was a single exposure.

Cheers,
Kevin

janlu
janlu Veteran Member • Posts: 7,157
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Yes , Breath-taking is right !!! very deep colors and great exposure.....

Keep posting Kevin !!!

Gianluca
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gianlucanardini/

AntnioGM Senior Member • Posts: 1,694
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Very beautifull. Perfect colours.

António GM
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91908602@N00/

 AntnioGM's gear list:AntnioGM's gear list
Olympus E-1 Nikon D3200 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II +20 more
l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,178
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Kevin, this is truly a gorgeous shot and I am so glad you changed your mind about posting here, in this forum!

My own philosophy has always been: if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say; then shut up "!

But we have, from time to time, people jumping into this forum just to empty their venom! I don't see why some are so hostile to Leica and Leica users!... It should be a question of complex, because they never go to other forums to offend others. They only do it here!

But the funny part always is when you visit their own gallery; whether you find nothing (most of the time); or you find a really mediocre work!

The other thing that makes me laugh is when they are blaming us to be civile to each other! That proves where they are coming from!

Keep posting my friend; with or without watermarks!

Kind Regards,
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

 l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +10 more
l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,178
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

One more thing; don't let Raaj shooting your lovely spouse. He is a dangerous man!....
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

 l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +10 more
Bejersey
Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 13,333
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Very beautiful!!! I have posts here that no one has commented on...and I can surely take it...I try to make it a habit to look for posts without any followup and I make a comment.
Rick
--
http://www.photographybyrichardmsmith.com/

 Bejersey's gear list:Bejersey's gear list
Leica X (Typ 113)
RaajS Veteran Member • Posts: 6,136
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Dude, why're you beating me up?

l_objectif wrote:

One more thing; don't let Raaj shooting your lovely spouse. He is a dangerous man!....
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

Prosophos
Prosophos Senior Member • Posts: 1,925
Beautiful shot Kevin,

Beautiful colours too.

And I concur with what Louis has written below. All of it.

And yes, your chosen watermark is now much more pleasing.

Peter.

-

l_objectif wrote:

Kevin, this is truly a gorgeous shot and I am so glad you changed your mind about posting here, in this forum!

My own philosophy has always been: if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say; then shut up "!

But we have, from time to time, people jumping into this forum just to empty their venom! I don't see why some are so hostile to Leica and Leica users!... It should be a question of complex, because they never go to other forums to offend others. They only do it here!

But the funny part always is when you visit their own gallery; whether you find nothing (most of the time); or you find a really mediocre work!

The other thing that makes me laugh is when they are blaming us to be civile to each other! That proves where they are coming from!

Keep posting my friend; with or without watermarks!

Kind Regards,
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

MilSooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,869
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Great shot and well done.

 MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,178
Raaj

RaajS wrote:
Dude, why're you beating me up?

l_objectif wrote:

One more thing; don't let Raaj shooting your lovely spouse. He is a dangerous man!....
--
Louis

Dear Raaj, no beating up at all; I am just beginning to believe you are a dangerous fellow with women; and I had to warn our friend Kevin!... ! As you know, I happen to be a very “serious” and “Good” guy, myself!

You see; even monks are taking my picture and think I may have been a Dalai Lama in one of my previous lives!

 l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +10 more
Hosermage
Hosermage Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

I love how the color transition from orange to blue/purple. I enjoy images that give me the "wish I was there" feeling, and your images certainly do that!

-- hide signature --

David Young
My journey into Leica: http://leicalux.com

hughf
hughf Senior Member • Posts: 2,749
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Hello Kevin,

this is a really great capture !!! You can be pround of it...
Excellent, and very glad to see and to look at a new post from You
Always a true pleasure !!!

Best shooting...And come back very soon please...

Hugues.

OP KFoisy Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: Raaj

Haha Louis! I thought maybe that was you in robe with the camera!!

As for Raaj, well you know I have travelled with him and witnessed first hand what a ladies man he is!!! Yes, indeed, I must watch out for him

l_objectif wrote:

RaajS wrote:
Dude, why're you beating me up?

l_objectif wrote:

One more thing; don't let Raaj shooting your lovely spouse. He is a dangerous man!....
--
Louis

Dear Raaj, no beating up at all; I am just beginning to believe you are a dangerous fellow with women; and I had to warn our friend Kevin!... ! As you know, I happen to be a very “serious” and “Good” guy, myself!

You see; even monks are taking my picture and think I may have been a Dalai Lama in one of my previous lives!

OP KFoisy Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Thanks for your kind words David!

Hosermage wrote:

I love how the color transition from orange to blue/purple. I enjoy images that give me the "wish I was there" feeling, and your images certainly do that!

OP KFoisy Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Hugues,
Thank you very much .. mean much coming from you!

Cheers,
Kevin

hughf wrote:

Hello Kevin,

this is a really great capture !!! You can be pround of it...
Excellent, and very glad to see and to look at a new post from You
Always a true pleasure !!!

Best shooting...And come back very soon please...

Hugues.

OP KFoisy Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: River Sunset (I almost stopped posting here!)

Thank you for your kind words!

Kevin

MilSooper wrote:

Great shot and well done.

OP KFoisy Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: Beautiful shot Kevin,

Thank you Peter, you are also a true gentleman.

Prosophos wrote:
Beautiful colours too.

And I concur with what Louis has written below. All of it.

And yes, your chosen watermark is now much more pleasing.

Peter.

-

l_objectif wrote:

Kevin, this is truly a gorgeous shot and I am so glad you changed your mind about posting here, in this forum!

My own philosophy has always been: if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say; then shut up "!

But we have, from time to time, people jumping into this forum just to empty their venom! I don't see why some are so hostile to Leica and Leica users!... It should be a question of complex, because they never go to other forums to offend others. They only do it here!

But the funny part always is when you visit their own gallery; whether you find nothing (most of the time); or you find a really mediocre work!

The other thing that makes me laugh is when they are blaming us to be civile to each other! That proves where they are coming from!

Keep posting my friend; with or without watermarks!

Kind Regards,
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads