Upgrading to 64 Bit

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions
landscaper1
landscaper1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,983
Upgrading to 64 Bit

I'm about ready to upgrade to a 64 bit PC, but I have no idea what I need to look for in specs. I'm not the sort to just buy what someone's selling. I like to make sure all the pieces are of a quality I feel I can trust.

What kind of Intel CPU is desirable?

What about motherboards?

Can I re-use my HDDs from my current computer?

I assume re-using my DVD drive is no problem.

Any other tips will be most welcome.
--
Landscaper

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +10 more
Skipper494 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,243
Re: Upgrading to 64 Bit

Asus MB, Intel i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

shooter2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,318

Exactly what is on the brown truck for me. I5 2500K. Samsung 830 128GB and WD Black. Seasonic 630w modular power supply. I thought that was a little small, but the kid building it says a good 630watt is plenty and better than a cheapo 750w. He said Seasonic makes supplies for many of the other brands and it was a newegg special. He swears it will run under 350w at full load. I am sure he will test it.16 GB G Skeil ram. I am re using Cooler Master 932 case, both optical drives and 220 video card for now. Better video card will come when funds are available and I start doing video. Picked up an NZXT 210 case to put the old 1st gen I5 750 system in as my internet XP machine. He uses NZXT and Cooler Master in all his builds.

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,101

The previous advice sounds good. Here's my two cents:

Win 7 64-bit Pro lets you use old programs and is pretty bullet-proof. This lets me use an old, old financial program I started using with Windows 95!

Yes, you can use your old hard drive. Might even buy an enclosure and use it as an external drive. Always nice to have extra capacity.

Yes, you can use your old DVD player, but consider getting one with Blu-ray capability.

I recommend 8-16 GB of RAM for future-proofing.

I like the i7 processors, but there may be better out there now. (I'm not an expert, but some of the folks on this forum are wizards.)

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Kobus66 Contributing Member • Posts: 922

there you have it!

Focus
i5 processor is fine
8-16 RAM

-- hide signature --

Kobus

veato Forum Member • Posts: 58

I would seriously consider an SSD in a new build. The Crucial M4 128GB is excellent value for money at the minute. Install your OS and apps on this and re-use your old HDD for storage where performance isn't as much as an issue.

For the CPU and depending on your budget have a look at the Intel i3-2100 3.1GHz or Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz. If your budget allows the Intel i7-3770k will be even better.

Look at between 8 and 16GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM.

As for motherboards the Asus Maximum V Gene and Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 (cheaper) will do the job.

Depending on the age of your PC you might need a new PSU. The Enermax Pro 82+ EPR525AWT II is a good and affordable option.

veato's gear list:veato's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR +5 more
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,510

I have an i5 corporate machine and an i7 personal. For still photography, I suspect an i5 machine will be more than adequate especially if you max out the ram and have at least a moderately good display card (more than a default 'shared resources' display).

For video, and any other math intensive application, the improved multi-threading capabilities of the i7 over the i5 will make for a more satisfying experience. And both will be better than the older dual core machines.

Assuming you have the right software, of course! Old application software compiled for older dual core CPUs wont benefit much from the newer chips because the 'clock' speed of these chips hasn't really gotten any faster. It is the better multitasking capabilities of these new CPUs that make for better efficiency. They don't run faster, they run smarter, and if the software relies only on brute speed for performance enhancements, they won't run any better than before

The thing is, the i7 CPUs are coming down in price to where the argument between i5 and i7 is going to quickly become moot. You might still prefer an i5 for its lower power consumption, but as Intel improves i7 characteristics, even that advantage might tilt towards i7 eventually.
--
I'm so bright, my father calls me son.

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
brn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084

landscaper1 wrote:

It really depends on your budget. For the budget minded AMD is the winner. If you've more money to spend, the Intel i7 will perform better.

What about motherboards?

Changes too frequently for me to give advice right now.

Are they SATA? If so, yes. If they're PATA, yes but it's not worth it.
You will want to reformat and reinstall.

If it's PATA, you'll need to make sure the motherboard has a PATA port.

Program compatibility is a crapshoot. It's pretty good, but there will be failures. When I upgraded, my old Nikon Capture 4 wouldn't work. I needed to upgrade to NX2 anyway. There were other, less important, programs that didn't work as well. They're not important enough to remember.

brn's gear list:brn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000
dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,837
64-bit

Yes, the upgrade to 64-bit can pose compatibility issues.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,654

landscaper1 wrote:

I'm about ready to upgrade to a 64 bit PC, but I have no idea what I need to look for in specs. I'm not the sort to just buy what someone's selling. I like to make sure all the pieces are of a quality I feel I can trust.

Intel i5 is fine for photography work.

What about motherboards?

Depends on what peripherals you want to use. Do you want to use graphics integrated into the mobo or a plug-in graphics card? If you have any IDE HDDs or optical drives, you can get a mobo with an IDE port (hard to find but they exist). Do you want an eSATA port? Regarding USB ports, you should only get a mobo that supports USB3 at this point. If you want to view video on your flat screen TV set, then get a mobo with a built-in HDMI connector. Mobo will have to match the CPU you select of course. After you decide the above, go to newegg.com or amazon and check the user reviews.

If your current HDDs are IDE, then you can buy a motherbd that has one IDE port along with a bunch of SATA ports. You will be able to install up to 2 IDE units (HDD or optical drive) on the one IDE port.

If your current HDDs are all SATA, then any motherbd will work.

See above

Be sure the mobo has 4 ram slots. Some mobos have only 2 ram slots. My view is that integrated graphics is fine for photo and video editing, as long as you don't play games. If you are going to reuse an existing monitor, verify that the mobo has the proper port to connect to that monitor. FWIW, all of the software from my 32 bit WinXP PC works on my i5-2500K PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits on an Asus P8H67-V mobo. MS Word 2000 had a minor problem but there is a fix for that so now it runs perfectly.

Sky

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads