G3 COLOR

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions
photoshooter1 Regular Member • Posts: 421
G3 COLOR

Not sure why neck has yellow tint. I have noticed colors in areas of photos seem to be off. Can anyone advise me why?

Shot with G3 and 25mm pan lens

photoshooter1's gear list:photoshooter1's gear list
Sony RX100
Scott P Senior Member • Posts: 1,978
shadows have a different white balance than midtones/highlights

The area of his neck under his chin is in a shadow. If you have Adobe Lightroom, you can adjust the shadows independently.

-- hide signature --

http://srpluta.zenfolio.com/

The truth is rarely black and white.

Scott P's gear list:Scott P's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Sigma SD14 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
OP photoshooter1 Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: shadows have a different white balance than midtones/highlights

I have noticed that I am getting areas where the color seems off. The cameras pics certainly have a slight green tint (corrected color in photo) in Jpeg. I don't think the area is a shadow as it has a yellow tint. I have seen this in other pics.

It has been suggested that I should shoot in Raw but I would prefer to use Jpeg. My Olympus EP1 colors are usually perfect.

Sony RX100
JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 6,347
Re: G3 COLOR

Agree with previous post. This is great color. In the shadow under the chin, sky and sunlight don't reach, but reflected light off the green grass does reach.

This is great color. The 25mm lens really does create beautiful warm images. If you want to claim that's G3 color, I'll take it, but I think you need to give credit to the lens also.

And, please tell us if this was in camera JPEG and if so what your settings are - all default? or higher contrast / or Vivid? Natural? etc. Auto white balance? Or sunshine preset? Or custom WB? I wonder which we should call G3 color.
js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +5 more
Bonchef New Member • Posts: 9

First, having owned an EP-3 and a couple of Nikon DSLRs I can attest that Olympus is exceptional in exposure and jpeg color accuracy.

I have since moved to GX1 and like it very much. But I can also confirm its colors misbehave in certain lighting conditions, e.g. when flash is used but cannot quite cover the subject. The weird things though are 1) it does not affect the whole picture but only area of the picture and 2) the raw looks just fine.

My conclusion is that there is bugs in the jpeg processing. I can post some pics later if interested. I wonder if G3 has the same bug.

Have not used raw yet, but intend to. I agree about isolaed areas of color error.

Sony RX100
John Pennington Senior Member • Posts: 1,017

Panasonic JPEG.

John Pennington's gear list:John Pennington's gear list
Apple iPhone XS Max
Olyinaz Veteran Member • Posts: 8,104
Exactly

And yes, the G3 has the same problems with color accuracy that every Panasonic I've shot with has. Your example photo is over saturated on my monitor also.

Olympus DSLRs really spoiled me re. JPEGs and their color. It's something of a let down when I shoot with other brands, but I find Panasonic the worst of them in this regard. No matter though - what we're after is the raw output of that new 4/3rds sensor and in that regard the G3 is brilliant. Shoot in RAW+JPEG and use the JPEGs as you see fit, but have the RAW as a backup to go to and really work with if you need to. Memory cards and hard drives are massive these days - no reason not to.

Best of luck to you,
Oly

Olyinaz's gear list:Olyinaz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS 77D Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +12 more
Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,828

I was tempted to say the boy's chin is coloured by the relected light from the grass but it does look a little bit too yellow ... but it could simply be 'right' but less than 'nice'.

Then this ;

Bonchef wrote:

I have since moved to GX1 and like it very much. But I can also confirm its colors misbehave in certain lighting conditions, e.g. when flash is used but cannot quite cover the subject. The weird things though are 1) it does not affect the whole picture but only area of the picture and 2) the raw looks just fine.

I hope the thread continues and someone can post examples of selective 'off' colour, that's a very interesting observation.

( In a very short in-shop test I compared my G1 (tweaked WB & film mode) to a standard G3 and preferred my G1 ... overall 'nicer' colour results.)

Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,758

Shadow, and the blue on the Tshirt, can do this

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +10 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,758
Re: No

John Pennington wrote:

Panasonic JPEG.

No, noticed the shadow and the relfetion of the blue from the shirt, it is easy to blame a camera or a lens instead of analyzing well the image

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +10 more
John Pennington Senior Member • Posts: 1,017
Re: No

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

John Pennington wrote:

Panasonic JPEG.

No, noticed the shadow and the relfetion of the blue from the shirt, it is easy to blame a camera or a lens instead of analyzing well the image

I simply pointed out that it is a Panasonic JPEG. As it happens, that yellow is ridiculous.
Would a RAW file show that yellow colour?

John Pennington's gear list:John Pennington's gear list
Apple iPhone XS Max

Since you asked for it:

This is a crop:notice neck and side of face. This is from an unretouched JPeg. .. Taken in Portrait mode. Not sure of lighting as it was taken indoors. 25mm lens... F1.4 Iso 400..no flash.

Do all modes produce these color artifacts? Will Vivid mode do same..? I have not had much time to experiment with this.

BTW I'm going to start using RAW,because of this problem with colors.... Is Silky pix OK.SE 3.1,(came bundled ith camera). Any suggestions for an easier Raw processor.

Sony RX100
SidSnot
SidSnot Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

photoshooter1 wrote:

Since you asked for it:

This is a crop:notice neck and side of face. This is from an unretouched JPeg. .. Taken in Portrait mode. Not sure of lighting as it was taken indoors. 25mm lens... F1.4 Iso 400..no flash.

That pic looks ok in some ways as most of that yellow will be reflection from the tee shirt...

Our eyes don't always notice this sort of thing in reality, they mask colour reflections like this until you start looking for colour issues in pics after the event...

BUT, I do think Panasonic have some problems with skin tones, I have a really good example of yellow skin effect, similar to the op but I don't seem to be able to upload it from my iPad so it will have to wait for another day...

SidSnot's gear list:SidSnot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +4 more

Hi Sid: Thanks for the reply

I argre with you about Panny skin tones. I think though that some of the yellow is due to camera processing, as I get a similar tone even outside as on the first picture posted. I also think the camera s photos at times have the color tint towards green. DP reviews had mentioned this also in their review of the G3.

Have you found that shooting in Vivid or with less sharpness reduces the yellow, as I had seen a posting that there were JPEG errors related to sharpness, and it was suggested to turn the in camera sharpness level all the way down.

Sony RX100
SidSnot

SidSnot wrote:

BUT, I do think Panasonic have some problems with skin tones, I have a really good example of yellow skin effect, similar to the op but I don't seem to be able to upload it from my iPad so it will have to wait for another day...

OK, back at my iMac - here's the particular jpg (SOOC, no PP) that I find particularly disturbing...

Either my GH2 jpg rendering is BAD or these two ladies have a bad skin disease....

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +4 more
SidSnot

photoshooter1 wrote:

Have you found that shooting in Vivid or with less sharpness reduces the yellow, as I had seen a posting that there were JPEG errors related to sharpness, and it was suggested to turn the in camera sharpness level all the way down.

I tried Nature for a while but found way too much red in skin-tones so now I am back to Standard with noise reduction at minus 2, all others (saturation,sharpness & contrast) at +1.

Part of the problem is that it's not easily reproduced every time - I would say that only 1 in 200 or less are noticeably yellow, most are fine to my eyes....

We have the same problem!!

Sony RX100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads