Best Circular Polarizer?

Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions
kay4401
kay4401 Regular Member • Posts: 433
Best Circular Polarizer?

I just purchased a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 D lens from eBay, and I want to get a circular polarizer for it. I think it takes 77mm filters. I have a 67mm Nikon polarizer that I like just fine...just wanted to ask if people like anything else better?

kay4401's gear list:kay4401's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
dwa1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,731
Re: Best Circular Polarizer?

Best CP? Not sure, but I use the B+W KSM CP...

Here's a 77mm ...you can check the reviews for this item...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10889-REG/B_W_66_045620_77mm_Kaeseman_Circular_Polarizing.html

They also make a slim version of the KSM.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

Denis of Whidbey Island
Denis of Whidbey Island Senior Member • Posts: 1,232

In my experience, B+W and Heliopan are excellent.

Denis
--

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Catallaxy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,724

I have a B+W in 67mm, an old Tiffen in 52mm, and old Hoya in 52mm, and a Marumi in 77mm (and a no-name in 49mm).

The B+W and Marumi are very good. Easy to clean, easy to turn, and I do not notice any color casts, flare problems or IQ issues.

The old Hoya is the worst - hard to clean and I can see a small drop in sharpness. The Tiffen is uncoated and has a few scratches (very faint), but I use it over the Hoya.

If I ever need to buy new again, I would get Marumi - outstanding CPL for the price. If I went into some hot humid places all the time (jungles), I would get the B+W Kaeseman, which is sealed so that no separation takes place.

Try Adorama, B&H or Keh.com for used. You can sometimes find good deals on used filters and rings.

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

tyyreaun Contributing Member • Posts: 523

+1 for B+W Kaesemans. They now make them in their XS-Pro filter mounts, which are thinner but still have front threads for a lens cap or stacking lenses. Not that you need a slim filter for an 80mm lens, but it doesn't hurt in case you can UWAs in the future.

If price is an issue, I got my fiancee a cheap Polaroid CPL and it works pretty well. Interestingly enough, it actually appears to let more light through than my B+W, while still applying the polarizing effect.

tyyreaun's gear list:tyyreaun's gear list
Nikon D750 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +2 more
beshannon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,216
 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Nikon D800E Nikon 1 J4 +3 more
Taffy ML Regular Member • Posts: 125

I use a 77mm Heliopan - not cheap but good results.

Mark L

Taffy ML's gear list:Taffy ML's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Nikita66 Contributing Member • Posts: 801

According to lenstip.com tests, B+W and especially Heliopan are very poor values.
Looks like Marumi and some others are a better quality/cost value.

Thanks for posting the link to this site.

NikonUser1959 New Member • Posts: 9

No worries, btw I bought a Marumi DHG Super CPL myself...

T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 7,103
$ and quality go together?

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Seeing as the Marumi Super DHG is about 1/2 of what the B+W Kaesemann (77mm) is, lenstip.com test or no, I'd like to see some more comparisons. Do you know of anyone else that reviewed filters? I've always used B + W, but could use a couple of new 77s. I see a lot of landscape pros used Singh Ray LBs. Anyone have any comments on the Singh Rays or the Marumi? Unless they're tested there's really no way to tell definitively.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D2H Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D500
kay4401
OP kay4401 Regular Member • Posts: 433

Thanks for the link. Based on the overwhelmingly good reviews, I decided to purchase this filter.

kay4401's gear list:kay4401's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Will Nguyen Junior Member • Posts: 25

I have the B+W KSM MRC and Nikon Cir. Pol. II. I made some comparison. Build quality, B+W is heavier but also thicker. For wide angle, Nikon fits better. For optical quality, Nikon is warmer. Attached are some pictures taken with and without filters. This is the first time I upload pictures. Although I named the files after the filter I used, but I do not see them (names) here. If that is the case, you can see the pictures in my gallery.

Will Nguyen's gear list:Will Nguyen's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Funduro
Funduro Contributing Member • Posts: 983

Will, the images are pretty tiny in size, not your fault. DPR's website compresses the images to limit file sizes stored. Good that you posted the test you performed but from what I can see(posterized blue sky) limits any meaningful value. Your opinion is better in this case.

BTW I own a B+W KSM CP. I bought the B+W based on comments posted on Adorama and B&H. My reasoning being, it would make sense to buy the "best" right off the bat, then "upgrade" later on. I also have two 20+YO polarizer filters: Canon 52MM and Hoya 62MM for my film camera lenses.
--
FYI avatar image is by Steve McCurry

Funduro's gear list:Funduro's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 +11 more
Hauer
Hauer Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

Hi - in my humble opinion... B+W (MRC) meaning the multi resistant coated version.

Cheers - Herman

Hauer's gear list:Hauer's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads