NEX 5N hotshoe adapter (Cont'd)

Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
fabianbono
fabianbono Regular Member • Posts: 190
NEX 5N hotshoe adapter (Cont'd)

I Open this to continue the thread.

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

So this is ONLY for the 5N? Why? Is the C3 hot shoe different somehow?

I think the C3 is fine, it is the NEX 3 that can't use the adapter I believe.

wll

You can read on FAQ section on Nexproshop web page:

What model of NEX will this hotshoe able to fit?

The SHADOW hotshoe adapter will fit on NEX-5n, NEX-5n and NEX-3 but NOT with NEX-C3 due to different body shape.

http://www.nexproshop.com/pages/faqs

-- hide signature --
 fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
Potemkin_Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,787
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter (Cont'd)

I'm puzzled as to how "body shape" would have anything to do with it. Both cams have topside accessory ports, so the shadow would just go on top, right?

fabianbono
fabianbono OP Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter (Cont'd)

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

I'm puzzled as to how "body shape" would have anything to do with it. Both cams have topside accessory ports, so the shadow would just go on top, right?

Yes, but accesory port cover is different size, may be the fit is not the same for this shoe.
--
Fabian Bono
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabianbono/show/

 fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
AdrianGray Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter (Cont'd)

@John Bean (UK)

When you're using flash the live view display is never showing you the effect of your settings, which is why the camera disables it when it detects a flash. Disabling live view display manually will have the same benefits, but AFAIK only the NEX-5N will allow this and NEX-C3/5/3 users will have to find a different solution.

Are you sure Live View Display automatically gets disabled when a flash is detected? According to my testing, flash up and Live View Off have slightly different results. Flash up shows white balance in the preview, while Live View Off does not. Also, the exposure and DOF aren't quite the same, at least not until the shutter is pressed. Maybe I'm remembering wrong...

little mizzi New Member • Posts: 5
NEX 3, 5, AND 5N nexproshop's hotshoe adapter w/PC connector

wll wrote:

I have electronic first curtain on and a shutter speed of 250 is a no go. I'll check later to see if 250 can be used if electronic first curtain is turned off.

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

For that reason it will be hard in practice to use this adapter on a camera other than the 5N.

Experience on NEX-5: without a Sony flash attached, you cannot adjust anything for flash, but WB can be set to flash. I find it strange, what entries that seems to cause in the EXIF. The time used 1/250s and 1/320s, with 1/250s no problem - sample pictures from that, their EXIFs, and also pictures of the adapter dismantled can be found here: http://nex-hack.blogspot.com - and additional pitfalls of this adapter.

All 14 pins with solderpads and a little spare room are available within this adpater (anyone wanting to connect mikrophones, a monitor, ... ?)

Some help for a workaround of the (totally) dark LCD screen: using an old lens, some have a third ring, functioning as an F-stop for a preset apterture position, after focusing/composition with open aperture, this permits to turn the apterture ring blindly to the desired position, being stopped by the preset ring. e.g. http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/mir1/

Another help are lensadapters which support putting the lens manually from open to working aperture, similar to an automatic aperture system. e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv4UZdI-UkI
Overall, a modification of the Sony flash should be the better solution.
ciao Mizzi

fabianbono
fabianbono OP Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: NEX 3, 5, AND 5N nexproshop's hotshoe adapter w/PC connector

little mizzi wrote:

Some help for a workaround of the (totally) dark LCD screen: using an old lens, some have a third ring, functioning as an F-stop for a preset apterture position, after focusing/composition with open aperture, this permits to turn the apterture ring blindly to the desired position, being stopped by the preset ring. e.g. http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/mir1/

Actually, this can may be help on low light situations, but no in really dark situations when you need a flash!!.

Making test at home, with a single bulb in the room, even I set my C3 in total open aperture, still the LCD almost black, that make impossible to focus.

When flash is on, the screen will bright around the exposure "including" the flash light.
That is why you can see the image on the screen.

Overall, a modification of the Sony flash should be the better solution.
ciao Mizzi

Is what I'm working on!!!

Check my post.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=41568077

Cheers!
--
Fabian Bono
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabianbono/show/

 fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter (Cont'd)

AdrianGray wrote:
@John Bean (UK)

When you're using flash the live view display is never showing you the effect of your settings, which is why the camera disables it when it detects a flash. Disabling live view display manually will have the same benefits, but AFAIK only the NEX-5N will allow this and NEX-C3/5/3 users will have to find a different solution.

Are you sure Live View Display automatically gets disabled when a flash is detected? According to my testing, flash up and Live View Off have slightly different results. Flash up shows white balance in the preview, while Live View Off does not. Also, the exposure and DOF aren't quite the same, at least not until the shutter is pressed. Maybe I'm remembering wrong...

The camera disables live view display when a flash is detected. It also force-changes several other things including WB and maximum shutter speed, but that doesn't alter the fact that it also disables live view display in order to allow you to see what you intend to photograph.

When I said disabling live view manually on the 5N would have "the same benefits" I was of course referring to the benefits associated with actually being able to see the image on the display.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

jonous_0
jonous_0 Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter (Cont'd)

Has anyone tried one of these yet?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110906680983?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%3A80%2Fsch%2Fitems%2F%3F_nkw%3D110906680983%26_sacat%3D%26_ex_kw%3D%26_mPrRngCbx%3D1%26_udlo%3D%26_udhi%3D%26_sop%3D12%26clk_rvr_id%3D362658416517%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

It was posted on sonyalpharumours recently. Tempting price.
--

Zenit 12 / Sigma SA-300 / Sigma SA-5 / Olympus C770UZ / Canon PowerShot A720 IS / Sony NEX-5

 jonous_0's gear list:jonous_0's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus C-770 UZ Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX500 Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
Re: NEX 5N hotshoe adapter (Cont'd)

My hotshoe is on the way .... hope to get it next week.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads