D40 is awesome!

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions
baloo_buc Veteran Member • Posts: 9,851
Re: D40 is awesome!

Have you ever put a fast lens on it?
I didn't noticed anything until I got a fast lens (f/1.8).
A basic but very good camera. Worth keeping it.

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Prairie Pal Senior Member • Posts: 2,667
Re: @Prarie Pal ~ important!

Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought the D40X was still had the high speed sync. So I guess in order to enjoy the 1/500 sync speed we have to settle for 6 mpx which while disappointing, isn't tragic. D40 still makes nice prints.

David Lal wrote:

I was in the middle of replying to Nightwings when something happened on the DPR system and I lost my would-be post. He asked specifically about the D40x and now you mention it too.

The D40 had the proper high speed X-sync, same as D50 and D70 but the D40x does not.

Check out the camera reviews here on DPR.

David

Prairie Pal wrote:

I'm watching for a D40X so I can have the higher flash sync speed AND 10mpx.

Prairie Pal's gear list:Prairie Pal's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +10 more

thygocanberra wrote:

So you have used both?

What would you say were the differences between the two?

The things that make a difference to me personally

• sensor dust shaker on D60 (I have yet to experience dust on my D60). But to be fair, I can't say I had to clean the D40 very often. Compare that to my D70 and D90 which both seem to be dust magnets.

• focus indicator for manual focusing on D60. I use alot of old AIS glass and I have poor eyes, so I appreciate the blinking green dot when I'm in focus.

• Base ISO 100 on the D60. As I use this camera for walking and hiking I'm usually shooting in bright sunlight and trying to keep the aperture big for isolation.

• The 10 mpx is a small but noticeable difference in real life application, but really only when printing. I like cropping.

As far as WB and color accuracy goes, I can't distinguish between the two.

Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +10 more

Chris De Schepper wrote:

I have the D40 5 years now and am seriously considering to update my camera bag

LOL. A satisfied customer.

Re: Obligatory D40 cat photo

pierre1 wrote:

Sorry I don't know what got into me but I just had to. With Sig.14mm f2.8 hsm

Nice looking kitty with plenty of whiskers.
Now I got the bug to carry around the D60 with AIS glass today !!

Djordje Jevtovic
Djordje Jevtovic Senior Member • Posts: 2,346

I used several amateur Nikon bodies, but D40 is still my favorite. Light, and easy to carry, great output, and like other have siad no problem in operation. Here are few shots from my last vacation:

-- hide signature --
 Djordje Jevtovic's gear list:Djordje Jevtovic's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +1 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 566

Here is an example of what D40 can do (Thanks Mark!)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=39737826

thygocanberra Regular Member • Posts: 355

Prairie Pal wrote:

thygocanberra wrote:

So you have used both?

thanks

• sensor dust shaker on D60 (I have yet to experience dust on my D60). But to be fair, I can't say I had to clean the D40 very often. Compare that to my D70 and D90 which both seem to be dust magnets.

I think I have some specs on the D60 sensor

• focus indicator for manual focusing on D60. I use alot of old AIS glass and I have poor eyes, so I appreciate the blinking green dot when I'm in focus.

I have also found this useful too.

• Base ISO 100 on the D60. As I use this camera for walking and hiking I'm usually shooting in bright sunlight and trying to keep the aperture big for isolation.

Does the difference between 100 and 200 make much difference?

• The 10 mpx is a small but noticeable difference in real life application, but really only when printing. I like cropping.

but is the downside reduced high(er) ISO noise?

If you were to choose between the D40 and D60, which one and why? Sounds like you favour the D60 ?

Steve_in_FL Contributing Member • Posts: 963

whiggy wrote:

D40 SUCKS!!! Because it doesn't let me justify getting a replacement camera

This has to be one of the funniest posts on DPR I have ever seen. When I saw the first two words, I was like, "Oh man, not another...." But then I read the rest, and cracked up.

If it is any consolation, back in the days of film, once we got to a certain level of body, it didn't occur to us to replace our existing body just because a new one came out. At least, that is what I have been telling myself since the D800 came out......

Steve_in_FL's gear list:Steve_in_FL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more

thygocanberra wrote:

Prairie Pal wrote:

thygocanberra wrote:

So you have used both?

thanks

Do you do your own sensor swabbing?

I have also found this useful too.

I'm not sure what you are asking, but ISO to ISO I can't tell the difference in noise, other than ISO 100 on D60 seems cleaner and richer than ISO 200 on D40. I don't have any D40 files left on my computer other than my sisters small jpg files that she has taken now that the camera is in her hands.

If you were to choose between the D40 and D60, which one and why? Sounds like you favour the D60 ?

Yeah I favour the D60 I guess. The only real strong point for the D40 to me was the 1/500 flash sync. But not so much anymore because I've taken to using hand held reflectors to fill shadows, plus I'm not into that perfectly balanced fill flash effect any more. The strongest point in favor of the D60 now is the ISO 100. Yes to me it makes a difference. If I can close my lens down even one stop, that's one stop more subject isolation. My favorite lens on the D60 at the moment is a Nikon AIS 20mm f3.5 which is outstanding for shooting into the sun and for near/far composition (focusing very close to an object and using the background to bolster the image).

I only had the D40 for a short time before I found the used D60 so I never came to appreciate that fine edge in IQ that so many people swear they see in the D40

thygocanberra Regular Member • Posts: 355

thanks again - now its out of action I miss my D60 ...

Prairie Pal wrote:

Do you do your own sensor swabbing?

haven't tried that - if I get my D60 repaired Nikon will do that at the same time I think.

I'm not sure what you are asking, but ISO to ISO I can't tell the difference in noise, other than ISO 100 on D60 seems cleaner and richer than ISO 200 on D40. I don't have any D40 files left on my computer other than my sisters small jpg files that she has taken now that the camera is in her hands.

From some samples I have seen you can get cleaner images at ISO 1600 from the D40 (see http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3000/D3000A.HTM vs D3000 and D60).

This puts me off D3000 as an option (if D60 dead). On the other hand the D3000 9 pt focus system, which I think is a bit better, might be more useful to me in real life than pusing low light limits.

Yeah I favour the D60 I guess. The only real strong point for the D40 to me was the 1/500 flash sync.

This would be useful in trying to stop motion of kids etc.

Oh well, I should just spend the $50 and see what Nikon says.

Chris De Schepper Senior Member • Posts: 1,292

here is another example of high flash speed synchronisation, when I think about it , I use that possibility quite often

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 566

Chris De Schepper wrote:

here is another example of high flash speed synchronisation, when I think about it , I use that possibility quite often

I live in Florida where it's sunny 423 days out o the year... I don't remember the last time I took a picture outside without using flash for fill. For me it's a must. 1/500 sync speed enables squeezing more power out of the flash for longer reach.

reck Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
And the D50...

Highly reliable, well-sorted electronics and sensor, very solid build, great jpg engine, nice size files, etc (essentially the same endearing qualities as the D40).

A difference: a great grip and ergonomics for larger hands, a size and balance for holding on to all day long. The D50 is the 'other' great 6mp sensor Nikon, for those times when you prioritize a larger body with better ergonomics, very similar to the D100/D70.

Plus it will AF any Nikkor.

williamj1
williamj1 Forum Member • Posts: 97

baloo_buc wrote:

Have you ever put a fast lens on it?
I didn't noticed anything until I got a fast lens (f/1.8).
A basic but very good camera. Worth keeping it.

This is stupidly sharp. What lens and any post-processing?

JMZ48 Contributing Member • Posts: 503

....happy customer.... and rightly so, me too!

Year ago I had upgrated to D7000, which is an excellent tool.

At first I wanted to sell D40 in belief I'd have no use for it. Now, year later I use D40 interchangably, and as frequently as before. I take it for snap-shooting for my oversees vacations with no concern for loosing much in quality.
D40 is producing amasingly good pictures and in no way is outdated.
With good lenses and in good hands will shine for years to come.
oh... and nothing will beat the price of that cam.

Jakes Senior Member • Posts: 1,912

I'm on my third one.
--
jakes
WSSA# 107

williamj1
williamj1 Forum Member • Posts: 97

I still use mine even with my D90. Most of my favourite shots are taken with my D40 if you want to check out my flickr and see them
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wjamieson1/

Steve_in_FL Contributing Member • Posts: 963

Jakes wrote:

I'm on my third one.
--
jakes
WSSA# 107

What happened to the other two??

Steve_in_FL's gear list:Steve_in_FL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
OP Scorpio_2005 Forum Member • Posts: 86
Thanx everybody for their responses, and here is a snapshot, OOC, just resized

Amazing views of our planet Earth saved with Nikon cameras

-- hide signature --

'For an idea that does not at first seem insane, there is no hope.' -- Albert Einstein

Scorpio_2005's gear list:Scorpio_2005's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads