EM5 shoots Infrared at ISO1000

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions
gidferrer
gidferrer Regular Member • Posts: 194
EM5 shoots Infrared at ISO1000

Hi guys,

• Just want to share an infrared shot of me and my lovely wife. Shooting at ISO 1000 to have a fast shutter speed to avoid blur. Raw file was quite noisy but had them removed during raw conversion. False colors are pretty awesome IMO. This little beast is turning out to be a very good decision for me. Dumped my Nikon D7000 system for this one. Anyways, we cant do this on a DSLR, I had to convert a D60 before to shoot this kind of scene.

Regards,
Gid

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jennajenna Senior Member • Posts: 1,352
Re: EM5 shoots Infrared at ISO1000

welcome to mars. nicely done.

so how'd you do the infrared..post process in photoshop...explain me your technique like i'm a 6 yr old.

BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,070
Fake infrared

Those skin colors are way too healthy to be a real infrared spectrum image.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932

funny picture, I think the pose and scenery goes well with the weird colors. Good result for an unconverted camera, but IMHO the IR effect (e.g. in foliage) is weak, and it is obvious that you needed a lot of PP to remove noise and/or increase colors E.g. the skyline/hills separation in the background has coloring that doesn't match well.

What filter did you use for this, probably one with significant visibile transmission like 600-700nm?

Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,361

How do you do the false colours?

(nice work by the way).
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
eyedo Contributing Member • Posts: 655

Funniest thing I've read all day,LOL!

jennajenna wrote:

welcome to mars. nicely done.

so how'd you do the infrared..post process in photoshop...explain me your technique like i'm a 6 yr old.

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,280

Louis - it's about the filter. See:

http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha 7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
gidferrer
OP gidferrer Regular Member • Posts: 194

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the C&C's and comments. I used a Hoya R72 filter for this image. Im still in the testing stage of the high ISO IR technique with the EM5 and I know this image isnt perfect and all. I appreciate all the critiques from you guys. Keep em coming so I will know what to watch out and avoid in shooting my next set of images. I had a converted cam before and yes the details from that is far from this shot. Still at the drawing board with these type of images for me.

Cheers!
Gid

AV Janus Senior Member • Posts: 1,994

I would also love to hear about your post processing.
IO am struggling to get anything remotely interesting with ms IR post...
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +10 more
MrGubrz
MrGubrz Senior Member • Posts: 1,180

i love the wacky alice in wonderland colors!

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony a9 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +12 more
kev777zero
kev777zero Senior Member • Posts: 1,557

+1 for explaining the post-processing, that'd be much appreciated! I also have an IR720 and it's not working well, and I've also done the post-processing procedures on photoshop as explained by others on the net. Does the scenery matter a lot too? I assume you were shooting at the beach on a nice day, which should make shooting with IR a little easier.

I've also noticed you have other IR photos on there. they look great! if it works out for me I should be able to save the money for converting
--
http://kev777zero.artistswanted.org/
http://www.wix.com/drkevinlyu/photography

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony RX100 III +4 more
gidferrer
Re: Fake infrared. I dont think so Sir. :)

In my 5 years of shooting infrared images, this is the first time a person/photographer calls me a fake.

I have my own ways in producing skin tone colors. Its my style, if you dont like it then Im sorry to have let you feel that way. Anyways, I have been using a Hoya R72 filter since. Im not a technical guy but I dont think shooting with that filter renders fake IR. Well, we call it false color IR. That I would agree with you. Cheers to you mate. And thanks for your reply anyways.

Here is the un-edited image for the vieweing pleasure of everyone. Sorry but I just have to defend myself on this subject.

RAW File, opened with ACR and corrected the exposure

Open with CS5

• Auto Tone

• Go to Channel Mixer : Red Channel (0-0-100), Green Channel (20-20-60), Blue Channel (100-0-0)

Your image should show this. You can try and save my photo then replicate what I did here. To saturate the image, just go to the hues/saturation, and play with the color and hues tab. You can make the leaves bright green or burning red. whatever suits your taste. This is my basic IR editing.

Come on guys. Im just sharing an experience here. Go easy on me please.

This is great, thanks for posting. I tried similar but hasn't worked for me good like that.

• Is that a hotspot in the middle of the picture? Was it caused by the filter or by the lens used?

• Did you use 12-50mm?

I think I noticed a hotspot in mine, but only on one shot I think.
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +10 more

kev777zero wrote:

I also have an IR720 and it's not working well, and I've also done the post-processing procedures on photoshop as explained by others on the net.

keep in mind that an IR720 works VERY different on an unconverted camera compared to a camera with internal IR720 filter, or full spectrum camera with external IR720 filter. This is strongly influenced by the curve of the internal IR blocker. In general, producing decent color IR with recent cameras is difficult, because the internal IR blockers cut out almost all visible light. Usually, most of the fake color in IR images comes from residual visible (red) light.

AV Janus wrote:

• Is that a hotspot in the middle of the picture? Was it caused by the filter or by the lens used?

looks like a typical IR hotspot to me. Usually these are slightly blueish compared to the rest of the image, the shape can be influenced by zoom and aperture setting (and lighting conditions).

Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,634

Strange colors, but really nice image

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,634
Re: Good explanation, Thanks (no text)
-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more

Thanks. Your PP techinque works rather good on OMD.

• Could you tell us more details on how you handle or set the WB?

Do you shoot RAW and set it after or are you able to set it custom in camera and just shoot JPEG?

• Also how did you manage to restore such good colors in your people subjects?

Do you hae a special secret?

gidferrer wrote:

In my 5 years of shooting infrared images, this is the first time a person/photographer calls me a fake.

I have my own ways in producing skin tone colors. Its my style, if you dont like it then Im sorry to have let you feel that way. Anyways, I have been using a Hoya R72 filter since. Im not a technical guy but I dont think shooting with that filter renders fake IR. Well, we call it false color IR. That I would agree with you. Cheers to you mate. And thanks for your reply anyways.

Here is the un-edited image for the vieweing pleasure of everyone. Sorry but I just have to defend myself on this subject.

Open with CS5

• Auto Tone

• Go to Channel Mixer : Red Channel (0-0-100), Green Channel (20-20-60), Blue Channel (100-0-0)

Your image should show this. You can try and save my photo then replicate what I did here. To saturate the image, just go to the hues/saturation, and play with the color and hues tab. You can make the leaves bright green or burning red. whatever suits your taste. This is my basic IR editing.

-- hide signature --

Rick Halle wrote:

gidferrer

AV Janus wrote:

This is great, thanks for posting. I tried similar but hasn't worked for me good like that.

• Did you use 12-50mm?

I think I noticed a hotspot in mine, but only on one shot I think.
--
Rick Halle wrote:

Yes, thats a hot spot. IMO I think it is in the lens. UWA lens are more prone to hotspots. My Nikkor 12-24 and 17-35 2.8 had some issues as well. ALso, using a smaller aperture will make it more pronouced. This photo was taken with the 9-18 but my 12-50 has ta hotspot as well.

gidferrer

AV Janus wrote:
Thanks. Your PP techinque works rather good on OMD.

• Could you tell us more details on how you handle or set the WB?

Do you shoot RAW and set it after or are you able to set it custom in camera and just shoot JPEG?

• Also how did you manage to restore such good colors in your people subjects?

Do you hae a special secret?

gidferrer wrote:

Open with CS5

• Auto Tone

-- hide signature --

Rick Halle wrote:

Hi,

I set my WB to 2000 kelvins in RAW formatt then open it in ACR, correct my exposure and all then open it with CS5. For the skin tones, yes I do have a secret but I dont mind sharing it. I just use the photo filter orange color then mask the skin using the brush tool. Adjust opacity according to taste.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads