Help on perplexing PS issue

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions
Tman Forum Member • Posts: 63
Help on perplexing PS issue

Every once in a while I print that has two side-by-side images on one piece of paper. My usual routine is to create a new document that is larger than the two images--say, 10x8 (horizontal) at 300 dpi with a transparent background that will contain two side-by-side 4x6s. Then I simply click on the image I want to move and drag it from its layers palette onto the blank background canvas, and move/edit/size as needed. Ditto with the second image. This has worked great for me.

Until tonight. Same routine. Except when I drag an image over to the blank canvas, it assumes the size of the entire canvas. so I just have the image... enlarged.

This is driving me nuts. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or if inadvertently hit some setting. BTW, when I click on the new image (the one dragged to the canvas), all of the editing commands are grayed out. So I cannot resize or move it.

Thanks!

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674
Re: Help on perplexing PS issue

Tman wrote:

Every once in a while I print that has two side-by-side images on one piece of paper. My usual routine is to create a new document that is larger than the two images--say, 10x8 (horizontal) at 300 dpi

Maybe at 300 ppi, surely not at 300 dpi?

Brian A

victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391

Pasting this is common depending on the order of which is created first. If I am bringing something from say, illustrator in it will fill a newly created canvas if it's in my clipboard. An existing document it will stay its original resolution. Photoshop docs can do this as well.

Dragging from one canvas to another not so much. You opened your base files first? I assume that there's no difference in your mode or color settings, and there's also zero difference in resolution.

Rather than pulling your hair out, just reset the prefs, Photoshop has likely just gone insane as it often does.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?start=0&tstart=0

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more
BrianPriceUK Contributing Member • Posts: 763

Hi

Your second image almost certainly has a different ppi to the first one. The size that matters is the size in pixels, inches are only useful if the ppi is the same.

Brian

OP Tman Forum Member • Posts: 63

i misspoke. the basic resolution for the background canvas file and the two image files are identical. the canvas file is much large in dimension to hold the two smaller image files.

I spent more time trying to get this to work. It's not working.

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674

Tman wrote:

i misspoke. the basic resolution for the background canvas file and the two image files are identical. the canvas file is much large in dimension to hold the two smaller image files.

I have never tried dragging in PS (perhaps it is a Mac thing), so I don’t know how that works but don’t know why the technique should affect the result. But just in case it is the dragging, have you tried just copying and pasting the images into the larger canvas?

Another thing to try would be doubling the canvas size of one of the two images, and then copying the other image into the larger canvas.

Just out of interest, how do you drag an image onto another image? When I have the layers palette open I can only see that image; where would I drag it to?

Brian A

John Little Contributing Member • Posts: 535

I do this for creating greeting cards that have the same basic layout, just different photos. With an older card open in Elements, I open the photo for the new card next to the older one, so I can see them both. I merge layers on the new photo so there's only one layer. On the old card, I delete the layer holding the photo, then drag the new photo's single layer onto the old card. If they're both the same resolution it works great but if they're not it's a real mess.

By the way, it sounds to me like the way I start a card from scratch is exactly like the OP says he does: I start with a blank file 7"x10" then drag a layer from a photo onto the open "canvas." The only difference is that I don't add a second photo, I add text. I've never seen the problem the OP is having.

A shot in the dark, tman: Are you by any chance trying to combine 8-bit and 16-bit images? I don't know about PS, but you can't do much of anything in PS Elements with a 16-bit image; most of the commands are greyed out.

detectorman
detectorman Regular Member • Posts: 150

My Mac version of Photoshop has a "place" command in the file pull-down that is used to place something like an image on a document. You might try that.

If you are using a Mac, are dragging, or "option" dragging the photo?

I do this sort of thing, but I use InDesign and place the images into it's document where they can be arbitrarily rotated, scaled, etc. I believe that Illustrator can also do this.

Let us know when to call the hospital.

rpenmanparker Contributing Member • Posts: 648

Tman wrote:

So, just to be clear, you are sure your new canvas is at least twice as large as each of the two images which you want to combine on it. Not just the way it appears on the screen, but actual pixel or inch dimensions. I would go into each image and carefully resize them to be precisely the right pixel and inch dimensions. Then resize the new canvas (or at least check it) to be sure it is big enough to hold both of the other two.

By the way, I use the much maligned Paint Shop Pro X4 and it has a page layout function that makes this chore dead simple, a total non-issue. Also I think it is croutinely done in QImage. Go figure.

Robert

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads