Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 Chromatic Aberrations worse than 20mm f1.7?

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions
tt321
tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,765
Re: Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 Chromatic Aberrations worse than 20mm f1.7?

Silat Shooter wrote:

Is the 25mm noticeably bulkier or a burden to carry? If you had to get just one, which one?

The 20mm is not much larger than your 14mm, but almost twice as heavy. The 25mm is twice the size of and twice as heavy as the 20 (so almost 4x the weight of your 14mm, and perhaps 3x the size). However because the 14 and 20 are so small and light, the 25 does not feel bulky or heavy in absolute terms. It's somewhat medium compact and does not feel hollow (properly dense in the hand). It's weight is 1.5 iPhones or a dozen or so AA batteries.

The shape, almost cube-like, makes it not as easy to pocket as a flat lens.

I chose this and not the 20 after going through hundreds of my shots with the kit zoom and finding that there were almost none shot around 20 and a lot shot around 25. This method is no use to someone without a kit zoom I suppose.

Silat Shooter
Silat Shooter Contributing Member • Posts: 874

tt321 thanks for your input! It's greatly detailed and very helpful! I also shoot Canon FF and have a 50mm and the 16-35 and consistently choose the 50mm when going out to grab shots.

tt321 wrote:

Silat Shooter wrote:

Is the 25mm noticeably bulkier or a burden to carry? If you had to get just one, which one?

The 20mm is not much larger than your 14mm, but almost twice as heavy. The 25mm is twice the size of and twice as heavy as the 20 (so almost 4x the weight of your 14mm, and perhaps 3x the size). However because the 14 and 20 are so small and light, the 25 does not feel bulky or heavy in absolute terms. It's somewhat medium compact and does not feel hollow (properly dense in the hand). It's weight is 1.5 iPhones or a dozen or so AA batteries.

The shape, almost cube-like, makes it not as easy to pocket as a flat lens.

I chose this and not the 20 after going through hundreds of my shots with the kit zoom and finding that there were almost none shot around 20 and a lot shot around 25. This method is no use to someone without a kit zoom I suppose.

Silat Shooter's gear list:Silat Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic ZS200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800E +31 more
OP georgec Regular Member • Posts: 478

That's exactly how I feel. The lens would be perfect beside this one.

georgec's gear list:georgec's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +8 more
Moonlight Knight Regular Member • Posts: 150

georgec wrote:

The question is if you guys observe the purple thing as I did or care about it?

I think I've read more than one review that illustrate its worse CA - but it does not concern me because:

• If you use a Panasonic body, it is automatically corrected (as far as I know)

• If you use an Olympus body, it can be corrected in Lightroom 4.1

I've waited 5 weeks for this lens. Still waiting.

Jeremy_T Senior Member • Posts: 1,224

Moonlight Knight wrote:

• If you use a Panasonic body, it is automatically corrected (as far as I know)

Panasonic bodies automatically correct certain types of CA, but they do not correct the purple fringing that people are talking about here.

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads