Yup also AF problems once i got testing extensively D800 and D800E

Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions
NikonSnap New Member • Posts: 2
Yup also AF problems once i got testing extensively D800 and D800E

I got my D800E today and already had a D800. To be honest i didn't test it this extensively, so i didn't notice it before like now.

My setup:

Manfrotto, 24-70 2.8 iso 100, speed 1000 aperture 2.8. Used the timer and my SB-910 so i could use fast shutter speeds.
I did 2 shots. One through viewfinder, and right after that with live view.

If you see the red line picture, that's the one from the viewfinder. White is with Liveview.

This is how my setup looks:

This is with the D800 right sensors used.

D800 Left sensor used:

D800E Right side:

D800E Left:

It's clearly sharp with live view on both camera's.
My serial start both with a 6xxxxx

I am getting the idea that every one has it, but not everyone notices it.

These are screenshots.

If anyone want's the jpeg's, no problem. Nothing to hide. I actually don't know what to do with it...

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
djcheetah Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Yup also AF problems once i got testing extensively D800 and D800E

What software are you using to show the autofocus points? Just curious.

Thanks.

Hulamike
Hulamike Senior Member • Posts: 2,810

Let me guess. Dentist?

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

NikonSnap wrote:

If anyone want's the jpeg's, no problem. Nothing to hide. I actually don't know what to do with it...

One thing you can do is give it a chance. Why are you doing this in darkness indoors? Go outside, and use a real target that will indicate back-focus/front-focus. You might have a problem, but I can tell you now it isn't a problem that will stop you from using the camera. Your left side focus looks pretty good compared to mine, but a cell phone in the darkness isn't a very good indication. The center area points are excellent on mine, so I suspect it is the same on yours. Go outside and set yourself up with a good flat target that will let you take all the snaps without moving the camera, and have a ruler in there somewhere at 45 degrees. Find out if you really do have weak outer AF points, and see how far you get from the center before the problem is a problem. You will have good images to provide Nikon service, and you will know how to still get great photos from your camera until the problem is resolved, if there is a problem.

-- hide signature --

Roy

Dominique Dierick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,494

Hmm... Your AF target is fundamentally different left and right. Better use the same target if you want to make any conclusion.

-- hide signature --

Nikon NPS member
D3s/D800/450D-IR/60Da/LX5

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Jim Keye Senior Member • Posts: 2,211

Dominique Dierick wrote:

Hmm... Your AF target is fundamentally different left and right. Better use the same target if you want to make any conclusion.

Whoa, whoa there. Please do not suggest rigor, methodology, consistency, or even common sense for these kinds of tests. That takes all the fun out of it.

Reimar Contributing Member • Posts: 588

A problem is apparent, but do try again with a target further away than those macro distances. Say 20 feet, at 24mm, f2.8

studio460
studio460 Contributing Member • Posts: 712

djcheetah wrote:

What software are you using to show the autofocus points? Just curious.

Thanks.

Both Apple Aperture and Nikon CaptureNX are able to display AF points, including the ability to indicate the active focus point in red (as shown). They're the only two apps I'm aware of which have this feature.

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735

NikonSnap wrote:

... I actually don't know what to do with it...

How about some cool pictures? there are more subjects than a phone.
Memo: there's no lens with center / edges similar quality.
--
Un saludo.

jonstatt Regular Member • Posts: 431
Wrong test - Compare liveview vs AF on better target

You are trying to illustrate that the focus point is not within the DOF and it does look that way. But what would be a lot better would be to use a solid AF target with plenty of contrast and shoot exactly the same picture with AF and Liveview. If it then demonstrates a clear improvement with Liveview then it does start to look like an AF issue with the camera.

But I think its very important to understand that AF perfection does not exist and the extra resolution of the D800 compounds any slight differences. However there are a number of D800s out there with distinct and profound focus errors that are much much larger.

Do post the LV vs AF comparisons

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads