X1 vs. X100 review, look at the pictures

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions
photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,522
X1 vs. X100 review, look at the pictures

http://www.photigy.com/leica-x1-vs-fuji-x100-the-final-round-in-studio-performance/

And what about the X2 where AF is faster than the X100?

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica X1 Leica X2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photozopia
Photozopia Senior Member • Posts: 1,302
Re: X1 vs. X100 review, look at the pictures

And what exactly is your point? Am I being dumb, because I can't see what you are trying to say with this link and your comment ....

photo perzon wrote:

http://www.photigy.com/leica-x1-vs-fuji-x100-the-final-round-in-studio-performance/

LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,763

This is old news and had been here on and off couple of times. Basically it shows that the leica lens is a bit better on the edges in sharpness and pretty much equal in wide area around center and also for real life scenarios it is almost impossible to tell if one picture was done with x1 or x100. You need to do a/b on test scenes or charts and even so, you may mix them up if you are not careful. So it is more which camera fits to ones hands and tastes than any virtual "quality" points.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Bashar AbdRabbou
Bashar AbdRabbou Forum Member • Posts: 88

Pixal-mastrubation doesn't mean noting in the real world, its just plain STUPID, the X-100 smokes the X1 in ISO and has a faster lens, not to mention it holds the colours at high ISO, I will take that anytime over german engineering, the author advice to throw both cameras and get a canon 7d says right away what kind of a photographer he is..... PLAIN IDIOtic and stupid, sorry, i could not help it...

Alex Koloskov Regular Member • Posts: 206

Bashar AbdRabbou wrote:

Pixal-mastrubation doesn't mean noting in the real world, its just plain STUPID, the X-100 smokes the X1 in ISO and has a faster lens, not to mention it holds the colours at high ISO, I will take that anytime over german engineering, the author advice to throw both cameras and get a canon 7d says right away what kind of a photographer he is..... PLAIN IDIOtic and stupid, sorry, i could not help it...

Wow, I glad to be surrounded by real photographers and cool guys who knows stuff. Thanks man!

-- hide signature --

Prove it!
Alex Koloskov
http://www.koloskov.com

Hansplast26
Hansplast26 Senior Member • Posts: 1,247

thanks for sharing. interesting to read. never saw a review between x1 and x100 lens that detailed.

-- hide signature --
 Hansplast26's gear list:Hansplast26's gear list
Leica Q
Hansplast26
Hansplast26 Senior Member • Posts: 1,247

what an amazing load of hostility.

-- hide signature --
 Hansplast26's gear list:Hansplast26's gear list
Leica Q
sarbos Contributing Member • Posts: 850

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your review, I find it very interesting.

Nevertheless, I disagree in a couple of points.

Since I own a Canon 5D I disagree with your suggestion:

“Which one to keep?“, here is my own answer: None of these two. We’ll get Canon 7D and will use it with 50mm F1.4 lens

I find that a reflex is THE tool if you are going to take pictures seriously, but having something lightweight to carry arround everyday or for a walk is another sort of thing, and these cameras are aimed to that slot. (IMHO)

And that takes me to the second comment:

of Leica X1 and Fujifilm X100 P&S cameras. I still call them this way, as having a viewfinder does not change a nature of the camera

uhmf! aargh... I undestand what you mean, but I disagree... neither of these cameras are P&S, you need to know what you are doing in order to achieve their potential... of course you can use them as a point and shot... but you can usa a 1Ds as a point and shot also... the diference is what you can do with the camera, not how you use it... and both cameras are much more than a P&S.

And, I would like to say something more... in spring 2009 I bought a sigma DP2, I had read reviews saying how good where their colors and it's image quality... and it was true... at home, with good light, it was able to take great pictures, but on the streets with just a "no so perfect" light the quality was... er... no so good at all.. but the real problem was "handling" and working with that camera; it was a pain in the ... er... it was not friendly to use... and I quit using it.

I wanted to say so just to reinforce the idea that image quality is very important, but being easy to use in "real life" (not a backyard but on the street in the middle of the action) let's you take the picture or not... and I find that your review is lacking in that aspect.

Anyway, thanks again for your work to compare those cameras.

sarbos's gear list:sarbos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
intruder61
intruder61 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064

photo perzon wrote:

...and what about it?

sensai Regular Member • Posts: 208

First thanks to the reviewer to let us see the difference between the X1 and X100. For my part I need a small 35mm focal length camera to do low light photography (museum, kid, social gathering, night walk-around etc.) without having the hassle of weight and size.

Before the X100 I used to do that job with a combo of 7D and a Sigma 30mm IS. The inconvenience of a big SLR and the noise from ISO 800 and higher didn't give me much of a motivation. With the X100 things start to become interesting as high up with ISO3200 things are still silky smooth (I completely agree with Ken Rockwell's X100 review). The small size and the very little need to PP the in-camera JPG (I shoot either Provia or Astia, find the Velvia too aggressive) allows me to be quite productive :-).

And one more important thing: the cost for my new X100 is completely compensated by the sales of the 30mm Sigma, an old G7, an older Voigtländer Vito CLR and another older Minolta XD-7 & f/1.4 lens.

This way I can assign my Canon 7D from now on completely to wild life tasks while being much more relax in making photos of WYSIWYG eg. daily vision standard focal length.
Just my two cents...

sensai's gear list:sensai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
Bashar AbdRabbou
Bashar AbdRabbou Forum Member • Posts: 88

This review is like comparing 2 sports cars at low speeds only, in a straight line track and concluding that you might be better off with a minivan at the end. good stuff indeed!

CraigArnold Contributing Member • Posts: 696

There are two standout flaws in this review:

1. When the X100 is at f2 or f2.8 the lens is at a huge disadvantage at close distances - Yes, the kind normally used for review tables full of printouts and little objects as shot with a wide-angle lens. The X100 is incredibly sharp shooting at f2, but only at distances over about 3m. Closer than that and it starts to have issues, and at the distance usually used by these reviews it's moving into near to macro distances where the X100 is at a huge disadvantage at apertures wider than f4. So is it complete nonsense? No, but it shows a very shallow understanding of the design of the X100 lens.

2. When you are testing lens sharpness you cannot simply say things like "It might have been a focus error, but that's just part of the test." It is precisely equivalent to saying, "I'm lazy and don't know what I'm doing". If you think it might have been a focus error then you need to make sure it wasn't before drawing any conclusions about the lens.

So after a badly designed and executed "studio test" you find that your results are not replicable in real-world shooting. At least you have the good grace to admit that you might have done something wrong.

A decent place to start learning something about this is the links at:
http://www.slrgear.com/articles/focus/focus.htm
http://www.slrgear.com/articles/howwetest/howwetest.html

You are not using Imatest or DXOOptics to analyse the test results, etc, etc.

Essentially the tests as you have performed and reported them are no better than a subjective anecdote. Slightly amusing but not to be taken seriously.

As to the conclusion of the review - well yes, brilliant. You've compared two high-end compact cameras (badly) and come to the idea that neither one is suitable replacement for a DSLR for commercial and studio photography. Something that neither was designed for. Pure genius.

And just to prove a point about using the X100 for studio work check out Damien Lovegrove's site for a lot of great commercial work with the camera.

http://www.lovegroveconsulting.com/home.aspx

Still I suppose the test generates some traffic to the website which is doubtless the main point. And of course it gives the trolls something to play with.

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://peri.org.uk/wp/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://peri.org.uk/wp/?cat=16
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://peri.org.uk/wp/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Alpha a7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
echelon2004 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,128

I would agree that Leica makes the better lens.

Sensors seem quite even and might very well be the same. Both are obviously useless when pulling the shadows that far, as expected.

X1 is a nice camera and the X2 I looked at was very nice as well. But the Fuji have that very clever little optical viewfinder, and you need an optical viewfinder in bright or dark environments. Sure, Leica have the little glass tunnel add-on, but having absolutely no information means you have to really know what to turn and how much when the light changes

Not that it will matter to you. You just hate the X100 as if it was designed just to annoy you

-- hide signature --

Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

echelon2004 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,128

Alex Koloskov wrote:

Bashar AbdRabbou wrote:

Wow, I glad to be surrounded by real photographers and cool guys who knows stuff. Thanks man!

You might want to get rid of all the mouse over stuff in the future. It doesn't work on iPads, and I'd guess iPads are a bit overrepresented among your target audience...

Oh, and thanks for your efforts, it was a good read
--
Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

Photozopia
Photozopia Senior Member • Posts: 1,302

I think you've summed it up Craig - just seems a (repeated) link to promote an ultimately inconclusive website review.

CraigArnold wrote:

Still I suppose the test generates some traffic to the website which is doubtless the main point. And of course it gives the trolls something to play with.

kriztian Contributing Member • Posts: 949

I think that the differences are small exept for the fact that Leica has more richness and depth in color. This is highly visible in the picture of the two girls. However the X100 is a lot more versatile and one can probably do postprocessing in x100 images to compensate a little bit for the better imagequality in the Leica.
--
kriztian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads