Macro with compact camera

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions
fulvio51
fulvio51 Senior Member • Posts: 1,886
Macro with compact camera

I study tiny animals living in caves. Most of them are eyeless (lost their eyes during the long evolution of the species in absolute darkness).

I am fond in taking photos of them and had very good results when working with compact cameras, because of the great depth of field that can be obtained using very short focal length lenses and small sensor (I prefer a smaller but all in focus image than a more detailed with less DOF one). Built-in flash not too close to the objective is a must (to avoid shadow from the lenses).

Please have a look at the pictures below, taken with my new Sony HX7V in a cave in NE Italy, near the Slovenian border. The body lengths of the pseudoscorpion and the woodlouse are 4 and 10 millimetres respectively. Shadows lighted by placing a small sheet of household aluminium next to the flash. Cropped and processed in Photoshop.

Cheers,

Fulvio

fulvio51's gear list:fulvio51's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
_sem_ Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: Macro with compact camera

Interesting beasts

I'd try to use a diffuser screen a few cm in front of the flash (mounted at the end of the lens) instead of the tin foil, to suppress the sharp reflections. You may need to set flash power compensation or set manual flash power if you get underexposure with diffuser.

fulvio51
OP fulvio51 Senior Member • Posts: 1,886

sem wrote:

Interesting beasts

I'd try to use a diffuser screen a few cm in front of the flash (mounted at the end of the lens) instead of the tin foil, to suppress the sharp reflections. You may need to set flash power compensation or set manual flash power if you get underexposure with diffuser.

Interesting tip. I will try.
Many thanks!
Cheers,
Fulvio

Nikon Coolpix 4500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
aaanouel
aaanouel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,107

Very good job, Fulvio.

Txs4Sharing
--
aaanouel

Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.

Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
fulvio51

aaanouel wrote:

Very good job, Fulvio.

Txs4Sharing
--
aaanouel

Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.

Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

Thanks again Agusto!
--
Fulvio

fulvio51

Just taken in a Slovenian cave (body lenght 4.5 mm).
Fulvio

orionmystery
orionmystery Senior Member • Posts: 1,945

Nice work, Fulvio!

I know a couple of macro photographers using compact cameras with great result, mostly with prosumer cameras though.
--
Macro Photography Blog: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com

fulvio51

Thanks, Kurt!
Fulvio

fulvio51
Another one

Taken in my house, not inside caves (body lenght 4 mm).

Cheers,
Fulvio

robert j Veteran Member • Posts: 4,373

Not bad and very sharp too.

robert j Veteran Member • Posts: 4,373
Re: Another one

Nice, I bet a 40 x 30 would look nice on the wall.

fulvio51
Re: Another one

Thanks!

I think the results are fine for a camera which is only a bit bigger than a cigarette box.

Fulvio

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads