Sigma 30mm f2.8 e-mount rattling sound?

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions
sik_photos Regular Member • Posts: 105
Sigma 30mm f2.8 e-mount rattling sound?

I just got the Sigma 30mm f2.8 and am enjoying its relative size vs. the kit lens.
Seems ever so slightly sharper and maybe a bit nicer color rendition..but i have
noticed a rattling sound (aperture blades?) which does not seem to happen during
operation but rather when lens is shifted at an angle from time to time, both on
and when taken off the camera (NEX-5N).

Can someone tell me whether this is normal, or a potential problem worthy of a return for replacement?

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,152
Re: Sigma 30mm f2.8 e-mount rattling sound?

sik_photos wrote:

I just got the Sigma 30mm f2.8 and am enjoying its relative size vs. the kit lens.
Seems ever so slightly sharper and maybe a bit nicer color rendition..but i have
noticed a rattling sound (aperture blades?) which does not seem to happen during
operation but rather when lens is shifted at an angle from time to time, both on

Can someone tell me whether this is normal, or a potential problem worthy of a return for replacement?

It is the linear motor. Normal, free floating focusing elements unless power is applied to them is my understanding.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Captain Red Beard Regular Member • Posts: 180

sik_photos wrote:

The rattle is not a problem. It's been mentioned on here many times. If you'd done a search, you'd have found your answer.

It's also mention in the manual that comes with the lens.

-- hide signature --

Wide angled and legless...

OP sik_photos Regular Member • Posts: 105

I always search before asking but in this case didnt consider to ask about a "motor".
Heck, if everyone did extensive searches, than those of you in-the-know wouldnt
be able to flaunt your vast wisdom!

And who reads fixed lens manuals anyway? Not me, I guess i will start; didnt expect a lose motor part to be the way it was designed.

Thanks for the clarifications!

dquangt Senior Member • Posts: 2,501

see here's the thing, you didn't have to search and ask about a "motor." if you would have just taken the word "rattling" from your title and put that in the search you would have seen all the posts about the sigma. people have made like 20 different posts about the same thing, that's why people are sick of answering it.

sik_photos wrote:

I always search before asking but in this case didnt consider to ask about a "motor".
Heck, if everyone did extensive searches, than those of you in-the-know wouldnt
be able to flaunt your vast wisdom!

And who reads fixed lens manuals anyway? Not me, I guess i will start; didnt expect a lose motor part to be the way it was designed.

Thanks for the clarifications!

OP sik_photos Regular Member • Posts: 105

If everyone on DPR did exhaustive searches before they asked a question, you would have 75% fewer posts...on topics, for example, like the Fuji X10 sensor fix policy, or sticky aperture warranty on the X100, or any number of other subjects.

My vast "ignorance" gives you the opportunity to impress others...for some people that is enough. Some people actually like to be helpful to others..without the attitude. Apparently for some people their ego is not placated without some implied insult, please consider that no one is putting a gun to your head and requiring you to answer questions posted in these forums.

If you become so "sick answering" posts, i suggest your sickness could be alleviated by not answering such posts, taking that energy and shooting some inspired photos away from your computer.
Life, my friend, is too short for the boorish attitude anytime anyplace.

daioros New Member • Posts: 1

Thanks a lot!

I haven't noticed that it was "normal".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads