3 days Canon 5D Mark II and already big problems :( Maybe a bad CMOS

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions
Ovidiu Sopa Forum Member • Posts: 86
3 days Canon 5D Mark II and already big problems :( Maybe a bad CMOS

Hello,

I have an unbelivable unlucky friend, can't understand how this guy has so much badluck with his gear

He just called me to tell that 2 of 5 photos are corupted, now 2 days ago when first seen this thing we thinked about CF cards, Sandisk Extreme II 8Gb, he also changed the cards (and anyway with his other cameras, 350D and 40D the cards are working fine)

I tried to simulate the way images look like untill he will send me a photo (his at a wedding with his brand new camera 5D Mark II + 24 - 70 L )

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dholl
dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,233
Re: 3 days Canon 5D Mark II and already big problems :( Maybe a bad CMOS

buy a new card, format it in the 5D, and take dozens of test pics to see if it comes up again.

If it does come up again, you may have to send the camera in to a Canon repair service.

OP Ovidiu Sopa Forum Member • Posts: 86

I gave him my Sandisc Extreme III and it seems the problem is gone!!! before he tried with other two Extreme II cards he had with no luck.

thanks.

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,423

Buy Lexar! Snark. Actually, SanDisk makes good stuff, but I do run across a fair number of people who have "issues" with their cards. Also, how is he copying the images onto the computer? Card reader or USB? I'd stick with a good card reader.

Seriously, I've been shooting dit professionally since 2000 and never had a single corrupted image using Lexar cards.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Eric Gill Contributing Member • Posts: 656

SanDisk were the most popular targets of bootleg/ripoff versions of their cards at one time. It's possible he got a pretty shell with crap electronics.

-- hide signature --

Siiddas doibmet Sámemusea ja Davvi-Sámi luondduguovddáš. Siida lea deaivvadanbáiki ja čájáhusguovddáš oktan kultur- ja luonddučájáhusaiguin.

ron purdy Senior Member • Posts: 2,493
try a different CF card reader

How did you transfer the photos onto the computer?
Issues like the above tend to be caused by bad/cheap CF card readers.
Try a different reader and get back to us.

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Re: try a different CF card reader

Unfortunately the problem is back, my friend had today another wedding and after ~ 200 shots the same issue appeared, after that he replaced the card with a lexar he got from a nikon D3... the same happent with that too

the waranty solution is a little complicated, the camera was bought from hongkong.

PS the files are already corrupted on camera, if a photo is corrupted you will see it imediately on the screen, no computer involved.

actionshooter1920 Junior Member • Posts: 37

Ovidiu Sopa wrote:

the waranty solution is a little complicated, the camera was bought from hongkong.

Thats the risk you take when you dont buy locally!

To save a couple hundred dollars, your willing to lose thousands on a faulty product!!! Not a good way to operate a business...

-- hide signature --

If it hard, grind it!

"If I die, don't let the missus sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them!

"He is just a testicle who thinks he is better than a bag of balls" Photographers description of a co worker...

"Buy her a box of chocolates and a dildo, if she dosnt like the chocolates she can go screw herself..."

"Why are women's breasts like an electric train set? Because they are both designed for children but it is the fathers who end up playing with them."

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,602

actionshooter1920 wrote:

Ovidiu Sopa wrote:

Thats the risk you take when you dont buy locally!

To save a couple hundred dollars, your willing to lose thousands on a faulty product!!! Not a good way to operate a business...

You probably won't lose thousands.

Unlike Nikon, Canon does not refuse to fix grey market product. You just have to pay for it.

If he bought it from a reliable HK dealer, they provide a one-year dealer warranty, but you have to send it back to them so THEY can send it to Canon.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +15 more
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,030
Good grief.

How can you care? Only an (insert derogatory term here) uses untried equipment at a job. It is professional suicide. Not memory cards, not flash units, not AF lenses...sure as heck not a body.

Ovidiu Sopa wrote:

I tried to simulate the way images look like untill he will send me a photo (his at a wedding with his brand new camera 5D Mark II + 24 - 70 L )

Re: Good grief.

he played with the camera about 2 days and didn't seen this issue, on fryday when it happent for the first time, after he changed the card to a SanDisc Extreme III he made 1500 ! photos without any problem. On sunday, at another wedding after 200 photos the issue appeared again

I finally have a few photos so you can see exactly what is happening, also I did not know this thing: he makes a photo, good one, next photo even if the camera it's pointed to something else will be recorded on CF exactly as the previevous photo but with some magenda noise on top, the third photo - exactly the first photo with magenta color all over.

Jery Jimenez New Member • Posts: 1

I just wonder what solutions were made here in this kind of problem.

Breitling Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
Card issue (n/t)

(n/t)

Breitling's gear list:Breitling's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
Vangos New Member • Posts: 5

Ovidiu Sopa wrote:

he played with the camera about 2 days and didn't seen this issue, on fryday when it happent for the first time, after he changed the card to a SanDisc Extreme III he made 1500 ! photos without any problem. On sunday, at another wedding after 200 photos the issue appeared again

I finally have a few photos so you can see exactly what is happening, also I did not know this thing: he makes a photo, good one, next photo even if the camera it's pointed to something else will be recorded on CF exactly as the previevous photo but with some magenda noise on top, the third photo - exactly the first photo with magenta color all over.

I have exactly the same problem with my camera which I bought new in July 2012 and this issue just started to happen. I don't think it's the card as to overcome the problem I take the battery out several times till photos appeared to be good again and I would leave the camera on till I have to recharge it again. Personally I think that it's a software issue.

gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 6,403

I never have this problem so its probably not software. May be the connector for CF is acting up? You should get it fixed.

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Luizjorgemn New Member • Posts: 2

I have the same issue here, in Brazil. my cam was bought at bestbuy orlando in may 2012 and worked properly till november. Now its worst than november and happens every 4-5 pictures taken and I have to open and close the battery door to fix it.  Never occur while in live view but if the issue is ocurring the mirror stay stuck closed if I try to use the live view and have to turn off the camera.

Tryed to reinstall the firmware, Change cards and batteries, remove the date/time battery and nothing worked. Just opening and closing the battery door fix the problem for a while.

I think thats a problem at memory buffer. Might be hardware problem and I will send it to a camera service this week.

DOF Vader New Member • Posts: 16

My 60D did the same after working fine for a few months, got worse and worse until every photo was like that. I would send it back for repair. The other thing to check is to flip the mirror up and view it in live-view mode - with mine it was ok in that view, but the photos taken were useless.

One of the risks of buying grey is having to send it back to the seller rather than manufacturer, but they should fix it, but will take quite a bit of time.

I bought a new CF card over the weekend just to try it out and about 50 photos leter it happend again!

Called Canon this morning and explained what's happening and they told me to bring the camera in for service.

I'll keep you posted with the outcome.

SOLUTION: Motherboard replaced = 400 Euro service bill

Sorry for the late reply,

My friend sent the camera to a Canon Service in Budapest (he didn't trust HK and accepted to repair it on his costs) and they replaced the motherboard, the bill for this service was around 400 Euro unfortunately

Re: SOLUTION: Motherboard replaced = 400 Euro service bill

I got my camera back today also.

They replaced the main circuit board as one of the components was faulty.

It cost me nothing as it was still under warranty.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads