Political ads

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
Nikguy Regular Member • Posts: 195
Political ads

Stop the political ads on this website. You are lowering your credibility and what we come here for!

Nikguy's gear list:Nikguy's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 IV Sony RX10 II +4 more
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,130
Fix your computer...

Nikguy wrote:

Stop the political ads on this website.

There aren't any political ads here.

If you're seeing some, it means your computer is infected with some form of malware or adware.

You are lowering your credibility and what we come here for!

The only person here with low credibility is you.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
underpaid Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Re: Political ads

I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing any political ads on this website. Can you provide examples?
--
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Roger99 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,997
Re: Fix your computer...

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

Nikguy wrote:

Stop the political ads on this website.

There aren't any political ads here.

If you're seeing some, it means your computer is infected with some form of malware or adware.

You are lowering your credibility and what we come here for!

The only person here with low credibility is you.

Aww Joseph, brutal as always.

I think he might be referring to the mud bucket better known as the off-topic forum and all I can say is stay out of the OT forum . I could be wrong though. Installing a good scanner could be the trick.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

OP Nikguy Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: Did see Political ads

Thanks, for the replys. I have concerns with those ads being on here. I don't believe malware could have gotten into the ad box below the search dpreview window but I guess anything is possible but makes no sense. I have protection

I will gladly write to web administrator of Dpreview to ask if there are those ads or ??

Nikguy's gear list:Nikguy's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 IV Sony RX10 II +4 more
Dave Lively Senior Member • Posts: 1,805

Do you live in a battleground state? Most web ads are targeted so if your location is known to DPR you might be seeing ads the rest of us do not.

Whatever routines being used to select ads is far from perfect. I mostly see camera ads that often correspond to the brand and type of camera I discuss in the forums here. But yesterday all I saw were ads for a chemical used to treat septic tanks in RVs. For a time I saw nothing but ads for a hair care product. I have no idea why anyone thought I would be interested in those products.

Did you click on any of the ads? If you did the software will think you are interested in them and give you more of the same. When I signed up on Facebook to see pictures of my grandkids I put that I was a single 50 year old man in my profile. After I did this all I saw were ads suggesting that what most extremely attractive 18-24 year old women really want is to date middle aged men and for a small fee they would introduce us. I never clicked on those ads and eventually they went away. If you never click on the political ads they might do the same.

CFynn Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224

Nikguy wrote:

Thanks, for the replys. I have concerns with those ads being on here. I don't believe malware could have gotten into the ad box below the search dpreview window but I guess anything is possible but makes no sense. I have protection

I've seen plenty of camera and other photography related ads on DP Review but never a single political ad.

Possibly targeted advertising as someone else mentioned - if so what appears there may not actually be under the control of DPReview

If it bothers you perhaps you should install AdBlock on your browser

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,258

Don't blame you for being annoyed. I've never seen a political ad on dpreview, thank goodness. Yuck.

If it is a popup, possibly malware snuck in. I'd use a popup blocker and scan with Spybot and Malwarebytes.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 11-24mm F4L +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads