K-01 sales downunder

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
pundit Senior Member • Posts: 1,477
K-01 sales downunder

Quote from the article below...

"...The Pentax K-01 is as new as they come but two retailers are reporting lukewarm interest and unsold stock. For all its radical styling and the sheer economy of using existing Pentax lenses it doesn't seem to have touched the 'simply must-have' shopper nerve..."

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/cameras/latest-camera-models-play-hard-to-get-20120523-1z3pv.html

I called into Ted's camera in Narre Warren near Melbourne two weeks ago and the sales guy said they hadn't sold one K-01 (it was the only Pentax camera they had on display) and hadn't seen a Pentax rep for three months.

Ricoh have obviously upped the ante with the new K30 and hopefully the K5's replacement. Let's hope Ricoh's marketing strategy is a decent one. It couldn't possibly be any worse than Hoya's was.

Personally I'd buy an APS-C mirrorless camera for stealthy street photography if it had an EVF plus an articulated LCD screen, focus peaking and a sharp 24mm F2 lens (36mm equivalent on a 35mm) with decent manual focus feel.

Think of the old waist level viewfinders. Great for taking photographs without looking like you've got someone in your sights.

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JoeDaBassPlayer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,722
Re: K-01 sales downunder

The K 01 screen is such that you can shoot from the hip without the flippy screen. You also do not need the EVF either if you shoot from the hip.
--
It is nice and small the way it is. Do not mess with that.

THe da21 sounds like what you are after in terms of focal length. The way the camera is, one is a little less picky about exact focal length.

If you really want to be picky, a VU meter for the external mic would have been nice.

Variance is Evil!

intro Regular Member • Posts: 133

Well i'm sorry about k-01 sales, but they had it coming...maybe is selling well on another markets...but don't know if on the same planet

intro's gear list:intro's gear list
Pentax K-x Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 17,779

same here. went to teds, and seen the k01 not even 1 enquiry, mind you over at m43s forum no one can get a silver omd and i seen one in camera house today, and the same thing the rep said they are not rolling out the doors. dont no whats up here, i called in ar d c warehouse to have a look at a hs30 and they wouldnt even put a battery in it so i could take a pic or even see the evf ? why support local !

cheers don

Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462

This may be a sign of that the views and longings expressed in this forum from Pentaxians - like the many request for a K-mount compatible mirror less design (I've seen so many postings pre the K-01 about "Please Pentax if you do mirror less, please make it K-mount!") - has no real value in the real world outside this forum where the customers are.

-- hide signature --
Vlad from Melbourne Forum Member • Posts: 87

Lack of interest at major retailers may also have a lot to do with their pricing strategy (high margins), and a lack of customer service in the shops. many a time I have gone into one of these retailers, and walked out due to lack of service and somewhat disinterested sales staff. There are a few individual exceptions, but not many. due to this kind of experience I have given up going to them and do most of my purchases online.

Vlad from Melbourne's gear list:Vlad from Melbourne's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +8 more
leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083

I don't know how well the K-01 is doing here in Canada but i never saw one in the street are elsewhere apart from mine
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Donald B

i was pretty disappointed. today because i have brought a few lens from them and they had a 70 200 2.8 sigma kmount for $550 and a converter for my xz1 so i just walked out the shop. without looking at them. i will buy online now, as the service is far better.

cheers don

OP pundit Senior Member • Posts: 1,477
Re: Don

While I bought my first DSLR (Pentax ist*DS) from Ted's in 2005 I soon learnt Ted's high prices were not offset by particularly good customer service. However I did end up buying a Panasonic GH2 from Ted's two weeks ago after they agreed to price match another competitor who didn't have stock in the state at the time. The GH2 purchase was in response to Pentax's still ongoing 'half pregnant' approach to video. The build quality of the GH2 is frankly cheap and plasticky compared to Pentax however the functionality and video quality with decent Pentax glass is phenomenal.

Re: Roland

I read that Hoya purchased Pentax for it's Medical imaging division and did not intend to keep the camera division indefinitely. I guess if that was the case we were lucky to get the K5. It's now up to Ricoh to pick up the ball and run with it. Frankly that needs a decent and prolonged advertising campaign to implant the Pentax brand in the minds of those who have never heard of Pentax... and plenty of people under 40 haven't.

mhike Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: Roland

So what makes the GH2 video so stellar?

Donald B
Re: Don

look forward to seeing some pics with your new gh2, had a play with one last week, it was at the top of my list with a 14 140 attached, but have too many things to buy as im building a home at the moment. and will borrow a friends camera for back up when needed. video looks amazing from what ive seen, ive nearly pushed the buy button so many times,dont want to stretch the mastercard as their isnt much work around for me. (carpenter)

cheers don

Donald B
this !

mhike wrote:

this is an example and its a crop apparenty.

https://vimeo.com/42243267

processing speed, it uses something like a quad core processor. even though its cheap looking compared to the pentax, its was a very expensive camera $ 2k, and high quality electronics, but they are a bargin at the moment $1050 au with a 14 140 attached.

cheers don

Re: this !

So basically, to get good video, but great stills, I'd stick with Pentax, however and only carry one device around, right?

Or if the suggestion is to carry one device for stills, one for video, why not total everything up and just get a 5DII with a 24-70 instead?

Donald B wrote:

mhike wrote:

processing speed, it uses something like a quad core processor. even though its cheap looking compared to the pentax, its was a very expensive camera $ 2k, and high quality electronics, but they are a bargin at the moment $1050 au with a 14 140 attached.

cheers don

Donald B

the gh2 is very compact 1/2 the weight of a k7, 1/10 the size and weight of the 5d11 24 70 2.8. its a beautiful little camera actually. great evf and streams continuous clean live veiw hdmi video as well as stills and can still use the cameras touch screen, without the camera overheating. after 5mins. their is nothing in any class that matches it.

cheers don

The point is that the GH2 isn't exactly the greatest camera for stills. Weight is one thing, but it's still an object and as such, has volume. I would have to pick between some video features and photo IQ, thus needing to take both along in this strawman argument that seems to come up where it's not needed all the time.

So, instead of the expense for two cams, I'd just rather get a 5DII and Magic Lantern it.

In all honesty, I'm more interested in stills IQ as my priority, so for myself, who have waited for this point in technology and pricing to arrive, it makes no sense to go for a lumix gh2 for video. I'd have to carry two cameras if I accepted the priority you want me to have on video, when the real issue is simply the recording time limits.

Donald B wrote:

the gh2 is very compact 1/2 the weight of a k7, 1/10 the size and weight of the 5d11 24 70 2.8. its a beautiful little camera actually. great evf and streams continuous clean live veiw hdmi video as well as stills and can still use the cameras touch screen, without the camera overheating. after 5mins. their is nothing in any class that matches it.

cheers don

Re: mhike

It depends on what you require and how seriously you take your video and still photography.

I'm using the GH2 for video only and my K5 for stills.

Apart from the 5DMKII's full frame aesthetic and decent low light performance 5DMKII has terrible aliasing and moire when shooting video and is easily out-resolved by a standard GH2. However when the GH2 has hi-bitrate firmware installed and good glass, in the right hands, it becomes capable of producing video that is has been compared in quality with $50k plus cine-cameras. ie RED, ARRI ALEXA, SONY F65.

Currently no other hybrid camera including the 5DMKIII and Nikon D800 surpasses the video IQ of a hacked GH2.

mhike wrote:

So basically, to get good video, but great stills, I'd stick with Pentax, however and only carry one device around, right?

Or if the suggestion is to carry one device for stills, one for video, why not total everything up and just get a 5DII with a 24-70 instead?

Donald B wrote:

mhike wrote:

cheers don

MikeAusA200 Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

. . . . back onto the K-01 sales . . .

I'm glad it's not selling well.

I never thought I'd get such a good discount a month after release.

gaddigad Senior Member • Posts: 1,906

They should get their r&d extremely beefed up. They are lagging behind in some respects (e.g. AF in mirrorless, AF in video) due to the Hoya mishap and I think they have to close that gap within a year and half or so if they plan to flourish.

-- hide signature --

Ask not what your camera can do for you, but what you can do for your camera
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/gs-photos

robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,069

Its partly the looks and partly the Pentax market image.

I have no doubt the k-01 is capable of superb image quality, but is unusual, we have a world economic problem and Pentax have a huge road ahead to get any market traction off Canikon.

I mean Canon have regular eos adds on tv and recently so do NIKON. Every episode of csi has a NIKON at the crime scene.
I went to camera house recently and they have good service with a k-01, k5 & kr.

Whatever plan ricoh now choose, its going to take a few years clever marketing and top rated products.

I like the look of the k30, it builds on the good work of the recent dslr line and a lot of other brand users are well aware of what's coming out

The Facebook pages and other electronic media is a good thing, but perhaps tv adds is still a great mass media approach, budget permitting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads