Rumor: Price of Panasonic X 35-100mm f/2.8

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
Moonlight Knight Regular Member • Posts: 150
Rumor: Price of Panasonic X 35-100mm f/2.8

Based on an accidental leak by a staff of a certain company closely associated with Panasonic, the price of the upcoming Panasonic X 35-100mm f/2.8 should be more expensive than the X 12-35mm f/2.8 by no less than $200 (probably like $300).

This is a rumor. Don't blame me if this turns out to be false.

gteague
gteague Veteran Member • Posts: 3,000
Re: Rumor: Price of Panasonic X 35-100mm f/2.8

that actually would be a pleasant surprise if true. i was expecting twice that as the price difference.

/guy

Moonlight Knight wrote:

Based on an accidental leak by a staff of a certain company closely associated with Panasonic, the price of the upcoming Panasonic X 35-100mm f/2.8 should be more expensive than the X 12-35mm f/2.8 by no less than $200 (probably like $300).

-- hide signature --

/ guy

The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks! ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica CL Panasonic S1 Panasonic S Pro 70-200mm F4 OIS Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,768

Moonlight Knight wrote:

Is not much, it is what I expect

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +12 more
Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869
Sound rights. Too expensive for me

I already have one of the best 200mm F/2.8 zooms ever made that I picked up for about $1000. I am not going to pay $1400 for a zoom that only goes to 100mm.

I'll pick up that cheaper Oly prime that has more uses for me.

OP Moonlight Knight Regular Member • Posts: 150
Re: Sound rights. Too expensive for me

Just Having Fun wrote:

I already have one of the best 200mm F/2.8 zooms ever made that I picked up for about $1000. I am not going to pay $1400 for a zoom that only goes to 100mm.

Canon? Nikon? Won't they be too heavy for m4/3?

Agitprop Regular Member • Posts: 314

Moonlight Knight wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Canon? Nikon? Won't they be too heavy for m4/3?

It's not a question of if it's too heavy for the format, rather if it's too heavy for the user.

Sgt_Strider Senior Member • Posts: 2,500

Moonlight Knight wrote:

If it's true, then that's wonderful news because I was expecting the lens to be over US$1500.

duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,612

WOW!
7 posts already and no one is discussing 35mm equivalence.
Let's see if it stays like that for 7 post more.
Fingers crossed.

Putting that aside, the price doesn't seem much higher when compared to the 12-35, not that I will ever buy any of those unless I hit the jackpot.
Fingers crossed once again.

The already available batch of primes have made m4/3 a serious system. These zooms from Panasonic have made the extra step to make it a PRO system.
--
Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Pls0421 Contributing Member • Posts: 505

i only hope these inflated prices will present a huge opportunity for more third party lenses. Ill sit on the sidelines and wait for more sigma and tamron lenses!

Pls0421's gear list:Pls0421's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Canon PowerShot G11 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +9 more
OP Moonlight Knight Regular Member • Posts: 150

Moonlight Knight wrote:

I'd consider this rumor I started (and reported in 43rumors) to be about right.

Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375

How well does that 200 2.8 zoom AF on your m43 camera?

Just Having Fun wrote:

I'll pick up that cheaper Oly prime that has more uses for me.

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +6 more
Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375

Assuming IQ is up to snuff, this doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

But I still don't think I'll buy one. 100mm just isn't really long enough. I used to a 70-200 on a Canon APS-C, which is equivalent to 320mm. It will probably be a great event lens, but I'm not shooting a lot of sports or events right now, so when I do need a long zoom I'll probably break out the Canon gear.
--

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +6 more
AndyGM Contributing Member • Posts: 698

Bob Meyer wrote:

But I still don't think I'll buy one. 100mm just isn't really long enough. I used to a 70-200 on a Canon APS-C, which is equivalent to 320mm.

At the long end, yes. At the short end it is 112mm, so doesn't cover some of the wider angles of view that the Panny X lens does. What you lose on the swings, you gain in the roundabouts, as we say in Britain. They both have 2.85x zoom factor.

What I'd like to know is, has the real, genuine, none rumour price of the 35-100mm X been announced anywhere?

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,879

Bob Meyer wrote:

... I used to a 70-200 on a Canon APS-C, which is equivalent to 320mm.

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. ...

I liked the juxtaposition of your conflicting statements of your post and your signature on the value of thinking in equivalent focal lengths....old habits die hard

-- hide signature --
mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094

Excellent AP photos you did for the Scientific challenge! How many subs and what length were used for those pictures? What scope and mount do you use?

RicksAstro wrote:

Bob Meyer wrote:

I liked the juxtaposition of your conflicting statements of your post and your signature on the value of thinking in equivalent focal lengths....old habits die hard

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,879

Thanks!

The details of the length and subs are in the Notes fields.
I generally preferred many shorter subs rather than really long ones.

For those, I believe I used a astrophoto modified 10" newtonian with coma corrector on a Tak NJP mount. It was as near a perfect "portable" astrophoto setup as I ever owned.

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Excellent AP photos you did for the Scientific challenge! How many subs and what length were used for those pictures? What scope and mount do you use?

RicksAstro wrote:

Bob Meyer wrote:

-- hide signature --
AndyGM Contributing Member • Posts: 698

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I bought my 35-100mm F2.8 at the link below for $1499.99.

OK that would be a non sales tax price, so...

Converts to £1100 excluding VAT, £1320 including VAT.

That is not as large a number as I was expecting!

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,950

I've seen similar numbers. More than I had hoped, but not a huge surprise. Still well under the latest generation of 70-200 2.8 lenses, leaving m4/3 with a size and price advantage over FF.

Don't know if I'll be buying one or not, but the rumored price is not enough to stop me. It's a hard fact of life that good lenses cost more than I like to spend.

Gato

Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at:
Silver Mirage Gallery:
http://www.silvermirage.com

darrellc Regular Member • Posts: 447
$1499 and Oct 31 ship date on panasonic direct site

here in USA... also like that it is internal focusing

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads