Anyone travel with just 5D2 and 50/1.4?

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
gulati Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Anyone travel with just 5D2 and 50/1.4?

I will soon travel to Germany, then China. Many pictures will be music performance on stage. I was going to take the 5D2 and Canons 35/2, 50 and 200/2.8. The 50 would be for instrumental trio, 200 to isolate individual performers, and 35 for receptions and gatherings. But now I don't feel like taking so much equipment, might just take the 50 and get as close to performers as possible (we're all good friends!), then use the S95 for gatherings and tourist shots.

Anyone satisfied with just taking a single prime, or just FF and 50?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ask-andy

Andy

gulati's gear list:gulati's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot D30 +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BozillaNZ Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: Anyone travel with just 5D2 and 50/1.4?

It really depends on personal preference. Used in good hands the 50mm alone can produce excellent results, but I'm not good at it and it found 50mm limiting a lot of times, especially indoors.

I'd be much happier with a single 35mm instead of 50mm. Currently I just take 50mm and 24-105mm so I can get most situations covered.

BozillaNZ's gear list:BozillaNZ's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +7 more
thelensmeister Contributing Member • Posts: 900

The 35 and 50 are so small you may as well take both.

VBester
VBester Regular Member • Posts: 118

I have travelled with just a 50/1.4 on my 5D2. Takes a bit of getting used to...but it can be a very rewarding experience as you need to be much more involved in taking the picture - move closer or further, consider composition, etc. But at the end of the day you will enjoy and appreciate the images you take. Somehow the extra effort contributes to the satisfaction.

The 50 also has a unique (and consistent) point of view across all the images of your trip which grows on you.

The only caveat is that the 50 might be a bit tight in smaller spaces, so I second the recommendation for a 35mm as well. Both focal lengths are very close to what we "see" and therefore remember.

Lastly, the balance of the 50/1.4 on the 5D2 is fantastic IMHO. It just feels right.
--
All politicians are scum

VBester's gear list:VBester's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +1 more
meatatarian Junior Member • Posts: 30

Usually, when walking around a new city taking photos, I just bring my 28 f/1.8 and my 50 f/1.4. I just put one in my coat pocket and use the other to shoot. They are both so light and compact that I actually prefer them to my zooms while meandering about. In addition, I've found they complement each other very well on FF.

meatatarian's gear list:meatatarian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +1 more
erick4x4
erick4x4 Regular Member • Posts: 378

Here is my 2 cents as I have done quite a bit of photography for music and bands (that I was friends with two).

My main concern is that the 50mm is too hard to get tight shots unless you are REALLY close, like "distraction to the concert close".

Also, if they are playing in small venues, 50mm might feel too tight. It's a funny focal length. For walk-around I love it, but for concerts I struggle with it. It's usually not nearly tight enough for big concerts, and way too tight for small ones.

I'd hate to go all the way there and not have options. If it were me I would take all three lenses (35/50/200), I mean the 35 and 50 are both small. If only two I would take 35 and 200.

I travel constantly for work and always think I want to travel light, but often regret it.

erick4x4's gear list:erick4x4's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
petebee
petebee Regular Member • Posts: 152

I've certainly travelled with just a 50 on a 5DII (and way before that on an EOS3, an EOS5 and an AE-1) and while it's a combo I'm very comfortable with, that's a purely personal preference - I've been using a 50 pretty much since I picked up an SLR and it's a bit like an old friend. The only thing I'd add to this combo is an extension tube "just in case".

To be honest though, if I can justify the bulk and I'm determined to stick with primes, I go 24/50/135 + 1.4x Extender but that seriously ups the weight.

Alternatively, as BozillaNZ mentions, 50 + 24/105 is a great combo.

petebee's gear list:petebee's gear list
Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +2 more
ThaQuest
ThaQuest Senior Member • Posts: 1,354

I think traveling with a 50mm and a compact is ideal. I've been doing this for years and rarely need more. Although sometimes i do bring an ultrawide. 50mm photography is the best, just go for it!

gulati wrote:

I will soon travel to Germany, then China. Many pictures will be music performance on stage. I was going to take the 5D2 and Canons 35/2, 50 and 200/2.8. The 50 would be for instrumental trio, 200 to isolate individual performers, and 35 for receptions and gatherings. But now I don't feel like taking so much equipment, might just take the 50 and get as close to performers as possible (we're all good friends!), then use the S95 for gatherings and tourist shots.

Anyone satisfied with just taking a single prime, or just FF and 50?
--

Andy

-- hide signature --

Photography from China: http://www.shenzhenphotos.com

ThaQuest's gear list:ThaQuest's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
OP gulati Contributing Member • Posts: 556

I keep packing and repacking my bag. Currently I have all 3 lenses, along with a Sony PCM D50 recorder, Canon 270EX flash, Audio Technica mike and Lacie drive.. and a tripod!

Ugh, I could add my Kenko 1.4x extender. But might leave that behind, along with one of the audio plans. Trouble is, I like the mike so AV are together, but I'd rather manage audio file with the Sony.
--

Andy

Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot D30 +5 more
rsn48 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,680
5D 2 and 50mm 1.4

I've used only the 5D 2 with my Canon 50mm f1.8 for travel, last year due to clouds darkening the sky over wine country in British Columbia, I just used the f1.8 for out wine festival trip.

Having said that, the 35mm f2.0 is such a small lens, I'd bring that along as well. Remember back in the pre-1990's film days, the 50mm was the "kit" lens and its what millions of photographers used until they could afford their next lens. Its quite doable.

When I examine my style of photography, its rare I go above 50mm as I do use primes frequently. I could go an entire holiday with my 50 and my 19 - 35 lens.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

Re: 5D 2 and 50mm 1.4

If I didn't need to take stage/performance shots, I could probably say without a doubt that 5d2 and 50/1.4 would suffice, along with S95 for snaps. But I just don't think I can live without the 200/2.8 and some ability to record.
--

Andy

leftnose Forum Member • Posts: 54

If I had to travel wit just one lens, I would choose 35mm, not 50. In fact, did travel for many years with just a Nikon F3 and 35mm f/2 AIS.

I have both the 35 L and 35 f/2 and if I were stuck with just one of them on my 5D2, I wouldn't mind.

Interesting. I did feel cramped with crop and Sigma 30. S95 28/2 is somewhat liberating. I think 24 or wider would be too distorted. But I do find 35 on FF to be just-right.

I will most likely take 35/50/200 and see how it all shakes out.

leftnose wrote:

If I had to travel wit just one lens, I would choose 35mm, not 50. In fact, did travel for many years with just a Nikon F3 and 35mm f/2 AIS.

I have both the 35 L and 35 f/2 and if I were stuck with just one of them on my 5D2, I wouldn't mind.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads