Where are the used 12-50 lenses ??

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions
millsart Senior Member • Posts: 2,771
Where are the used 12-50 lenses ??

Friend of mine is looking for a 12-50 Olympus zoom and didn't want to pay $500 for a new one.

I figured there would be tons of Ebay and such from all the people who wanted a EM-5 and didn't want to wait for the body only kits to show up.

Seems a no brainer in that case to buy the kit for $1299 and sell the lens for $300 or more, giving you the camera you want NOW rather than waiting for body only. Maybe even make a little extra money if you can sell it for $350 or something

Can't find any for sale though, so are people finding they like the lens and its worth keeping just to have a weathersealed zoom even if they otherwise prefer primes or what ?

No shortage of 14mm f2.5's which people sell from the kits and I know 12-50 kits have been shipping so where are they ??

MAubrey
MAubrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,600
Re: Where are the used 12-50 lenses ??

The 14mm f2.5 has been a kit lens for a few years now. There are an abundance floating around. the 12-50 was just released a few months ago. I think it'll be a while yet.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +2 more
DonTom Contributing Member • Posts: 535

They may start selling after the Panny 12-35 starts shipping....
--
"Is that a Filofax?"
"No, it's a Moleskine with interchangeable leaves....."

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
One problem w that theory

there haven't been tons of 12-50 kits going out... I'm still waiting on mine at least, and I didn't even order the silver.
The 14-42 kit went out first, and it's been spotty even for them

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +2 more
herebefore
herebefore Veteran Member • Posts: 3,296

millsart wrote:

Friend of mine is looking for a 12-50 Olympus zoom and didn't want to pay $500 for a new one.

I figured there would be tons of Ebay and such from all the people who wanted a EM-5 and didn't want to wait for the body only kits to show up.

Seems a no brainer in that case to buy the kit for $1299 and sell the lens for $300 or more, giving you the camera you want NOW rather than waiting for body only. Maybe even make a little extra money if you can sell it for $350 or something

Can't find any for sale though, so are people finding they like the lens and its worth keeping just to have a weathersealed zoom even if they otherwise prefer primes or what ?

No shortage of 14mm f2.5's which people sell from the kits and I know 12-50 kits have been shipping so where are they ??

Not a lot of people are reporting they are unhappy with the 12-50.

A few are keeping it just because it is weather proof.

Most who scoffed at it for being a slow lens didn't buy it.

That doesn't leave a lot of 12-50s laying about for sale...

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut

I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING

Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does

In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

OP millsart Senior Member • Posts: 2,771

Lots of people are getting the EM-5 kits though ( I don't know anyone personally who has the body only)

Probably at least 50+ that post here I know have the kits, and many I have read said they wanted the body only option but didn't want to wait.

Given that the more units that ship, the more saturated the market should get, I would reason that if you had plans to sell your kit lens, you'd want to do it ASAP after getting the camera

But alas, we see none for sale.

So what does that mean ?

I would think you could get $300 for it used as a new out of box item, but either the market wouldn't even pay enough to cover cost, or, perhaps people find it a good enough lens that they think its actually worth $300 and choose to hold onto it ??

Marvin Doering Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

You must be assuming it is a terrible lens if you expect to find that many floating around already. Actually, I bought a new one because the only kit I could find came with that darn 14-42, the 5th such lens that Olympus has made me buy over the years as I upgraded my 4/3 cameras. I'm sure you could find thousands of those lenses floating around. Mine will never see the light of day and it doesn't command enough money in a trade in to be worth the bother.
--
MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Agitprop Regular Member • Posts: 314

I'll sell mine for $350 plus shipping... Will put it on fleabay a little later.

OP millsart Senior Member • Posts: 2,771
I personally don't think its bad, just wouldn't have an interest in it

I personally don't think its a bad lens, just for my own shooting I prefer lenses like the 12 and 45 primes.

I'm sure plenty of people do have an interest in the 12-50 as it is a useful range as well, and I don't expect to see the market just flooded, but I would expect to see at least a few on ebay and there is none

I haven't seen any listed on any of the classifieds.

Will be interested a more 12-50 Kits start shipping if it picks up or not

Marvin Doering wrote:

You must be assuming it is a terrible lens if you expect to find that many floating around already. Actually, I bought a new one because the only kit I could find came with that darn 14-42, the 5th such lens that Olympus has made me buy over the years as I upgraded my 4/3 cameras. I'm sure you could find thousands of those lenses floating around. Mine will never see the light of day and it doesn't command enough money in a trade in to be worth the bother.
--
MRD

elavoie Forum Member • Posts: 74

I just got my E-M5 kit and listed my 12-50 on Amazon. Others are listed there too.

elavoie's gear list:elavoie's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic GH5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +5 more
gulffish
gulffish Senior Member • Posts: 2,176

MAubrey wrote:

The 14mm f2.5 has been a kit lens for a few years now. There are an abundance floating around. the 12-50 was just released a few months ago. I think it'll be a while yet.
--
--Mike

+1, and folks are discovering that the 12-50 is a terrific lens!
--
Kirk

mring1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,148
There IS one other possibility...

all those folks who said they didn't want the 12-50, but bought it because they figured they could sell it have discovered that the lens is a better perfomer than they thought it would be.

Sometimes something you thought you didn't want can grow on you.

I don't know, because I probably won't see mine for at least a couple of months, but I've heard the above expressed in several threads. However, with patience, I'm sure you'll see them on FleaBay in the not-to-distant future.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
MT Senior Member • Posts: 1,943
Re: There IS one other possibility...

I'm using primes most of the time but keeping the 12-50 because I find it to be the best single zoom for my trips as it is weatherproof, macro, good wide at 24mm and enough zoom at 100mm (equivalent) - the best general all round lens. Not as sharp as primes granted but then it is a zoom. I won't use it in the rain but for the occasional killer shot when hiking in inclement weather, it could potentially nail that one amazing shot that I'll frame etc. So its a keeper for me.

MTMT

DonTom Contributing Member • Posts: 535

I sold my 14-42 from the E-PL1 for just enough to buy a 14/2.5....it can happen!

Marvin Doering wrote:

--
MRD

-- hide signature --

"Is that a Filofax?"
"No, it's a Moleskine with interchangeable leaves....."

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
Geesix
Geesix Senior Member • Posts: 2,772
This is the third one I saw

on CL in the Bay Area northern Cal

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/3032484495.html

-- hide signature --

Nam

Geesix's gear list:Geesix's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +14 more
Agitprop Regular Member • Posts: 314

Agitprop wrote:

I'll sell mine for $350 plus shipping... Will put it on fleabay a little later.

Here is my listing

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230795990281

Slight price bump but still a deal at $375 plus shipping

deanrinehart New Member • Posts: 12
Re: There IS one other possibility...

I got impatient waiting for my body only and got the kit, figuring I'd drop the lens on eBay immediately. After using the lens a few times I decided to keep it, though it usually only goes in the bag if the weather looks bad or I'm going somewhere ere macro might come in handy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads