7 d focus

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions
wizzards Forum Member • Posts: 84
7 d focus

Hello i have just purchased a secondhand 7D, shutter count 4000 according to dealer ,with 6mths G/tee .it seems to focus fine in normal use ,but I want to use it for bird photography and have been testing it out on the small birds at the hanging feeders in the back garden ,using a Canon F4 300 mm is lens at a distance of 10 ft,shooting at 1/500 with 800 iso, resting the camera/ lens on a bean bag .the 7d would not produce in focus photos ,I then stopped the feeder from moving about ( due to wind bird moving etc) and the focus improved (see sample ) am I expecting to much from the 7D for it to be able to focus on a small bird swinging about on a bird feeder ? ,Also does the sample look sharp enough or is it below par on focus ,i know it appears to dark now uploaded and the composition is not great but Im only interested in the focus issues at the moment any feedback gratefully received,
peter

ESfishdoc
ESfishdoc Senior Member • Posts: 1,896
Re: 7 d focus

You should report how your AF is set up. The camera knows to do what it is told... what did you tell it to do?

Richard

-- hide signature --
 ESfishdoc's gear list:ESfishdoc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +6 more
yehudakgtbnet Senior Member • Posts: 1,532
Chickadee
n/t
 yehudakgtbnet's gear list:yehudakgtbnet's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391

The sample looks pretty darned sharp, although I have no idea about what your AF settings are or where the focus points are.

My suggestion would be to do your first testing on non-moving/twitching/jumping subjects before taxing your skills and the cameras capabilities! Too many variables.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +37 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,813
Actually a blue tit

It's an English bird, it's entitled to be called by its English name

JBracy Forum Member • Posts: 96

Looks in focus to me. One thing to remember using a 300mm lens shooting a subject 10 feet away at f8 you depth of field is going to be about 1 inch, so half an inch in front and behind the focus point. So with a swinging bird feeder you don't have much room to play with.

-- hide signature --

“To the complaint, 'There are no people in these photographs,' I respond, There are always two people: the photographer and the viewer.”
? Ansel Adams

JBracy's gear list:JBracy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 20D Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
ESfishdoc
ESfishdoc Senior Member • Posts: 1,896

I sent you a PM to set up your AF....

Additionally... for a near stationary subject like the bird on the feeder I would use a single center point focus and I always try to focus on the head.
--
http://esfishdoc.com/blog

My Flickr Photostream Slideshow

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N03/show/

My Images at Photo.net
http://photo.net/photos/esfishdoc

ESfishdoc's gear list:ESfishdoc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +6 more
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 10,345
Why are you concerned?

I'm curious what about that image doesn't look sharp to you? There's a ton of fine feather detail which would be difficult to resolve if the focus were off. The bird looks dead sharp to my eyes anyway.

The advice you're getting about using a single focus point is excellent. When shooting birds (not in flight but static), you really want to place the focus right around the eyes, so using a single point nearest to the eyes is the best way to get razor sharp focus.

The image looks pretty clean for ISO 800, so I'd say your 7D seems to be performing quite well. You may need better light to keep the ISO down and the motion blur out if you do have to deal with a lot of movement, either by the birds or the wind. 1/500s is OK, but a bit more margin would help in that case.

wizzards wrote:

Hello i have just purchased a secondhand 7D, shutter count 4000 according to dealer ,with 6mths G/tee .it seems to focus fine in normal use ,but I want to use it for bird photography and have been testing it out on the small birds at the hanging feeders in the back garden ,using a Canon F4 300 mm is lens at a distance of 10 ft,shooting at 1/500 with 800 iso, resting the camera/ lens on a bean bag .the 7d would not produce in focus photos ,I then stopped the feeder from moving about ( due to wind bird moving etc) and the focus improved (see sample ) am I expecting to much from the 7D for it to be able to focus on a small bird swinging about on a bird feeder ? ,Also does the sample look sharp enough or is it below par on focus ,i know it appears to dark now uploaded and the composition is not great but Im only interested in the focus issues at the moment any feedback gratefully received,
peter

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +3 more
mmullen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,285

wizzards wrote:

Hello i have just purchased a secondhand 7D, shutter count 4000 according to dealer ,with 6mths G/tee

You could check to see that the previous owner didn't have a micro focus adjustment registered for the same lens.

That said, the sample you posted appears to be well focused.

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
krob78 Regular Member • Posts: 175

If the subject is moving and your only 10' away with 300mm, you need more shutter speed... I'd watch the iso too or you'll be spending a lot of time resolving noise issues... The photo you uploaded is tack sharp... But hand held, you'll do good with a moving subject to increase your shutter speed...

Mike Engles Regular Member • Posts: 306

Hello

If I got an image like that with my new 7D and 100-400 zoom, I would be very pleased!

Mike Engles

OP wizzards Forum Member • Posts: 84

Hello thanks to all that took the time to reply ,the answers given were what i hoped for and most helpful ,The swinging bird feeder had nearly sent me mad , i started to think I had got a 7D which was not capable of close focus with my 300 mm lens ,plus also reading on the internet about the focus issues (real or not?) with the 7D I had doubts about my 7D ,when I read the replies to my post it backed up what i had started to think (my fault/ lack of knowledge etc ) ,I think its a camera that needs real attention to detail to obtain the high quality results it is capable of producing
many thanks
Peter

VueFinder
VueFinder Junior Member • Posts: 32

I would also suggest to use LiveView and manual focus. Although with fast moving birds....it may be quite impossible!

My 7d has better focus this way.

VueFinder's gear list:VueFinder's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
325xia
325xia Regular Member • Posts: 365

VueFinder wrote:

I would also suggest to use LiveView and manual focus. Although with fast moving birds....it may be quite impossible!

My 7d has better focus this way.

"Live View" on birds? Dear God, maybe on dead ones.

325xia's gear list:325xia's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
VueFinder
VueFinder Junior Member • Posts: 32

hilarious!!

VueFinder's gear list:VueFinder's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads