Viltrox JY-43F 43 to M43 adaptor + OM-D not working

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions
Richard210669 New Member • Posts: 2
Viltrox JY-43F 43 to M43 adaptor + OM-D not working

I just bought a JY-43F 43 to M43 adaptor off ebay for my OM-D EM-5. It arrived (silver not black like I ordered Grrr..) but I can't get it to work. Just wanted to see if I'm doing something stupid before sending it back.

I have two 43 lenses I wanted to use the OM-D with, a 35mm Zuiko Digital macro and the 70-300 mm Zuiko Digital telephoto. whenever I attach them via the adaptor there is no image available. It's like the camera doesn't recognize there is a lens.

I tried updating the firmware on the 43 lenses, but that doesn't work as the updating program doesn't recognize the lens is attached. With the kit 12-50mm lens everything works fine.

Do I have to do something special to get the Om-D to recognize the 43 lens or is it simply a faulty adaptor?

Any help appreciated, I'm really keen to try my 30-700 mm on the OM-D, the extra ISO and IS on the OM-D should really improve it compared to using it with the E-520 I just sold.

Edited later:

HA! It suddenly started working and the issue is a poor electical connection. There is a little play in the adaptor and if I wiggle it just right it works when I turn the camera on. SO, not too impressed with the quality of this cheap adaptor. Has anyone else had issues?

ginsbu Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Re: Viltrox JY-43F 43 to M43 adaptor + OM-D not working

Sounds faulty to me. With the MMF-3, attaching a 4/3 lens just works.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
OP Richard210669 New Member • Posts: 2

Yep, Now I look closely the electrical pads on the adaptor are not spaced evenly like the pins they are supposed to touch. Looks like poor quality manufacturing.

Now, I know you get what you pay for but it still cost £40 for what is basically a very simple device. What really annoys me is what Olympus charge for this, roughly 3 times as much. That's quite a mark up.

MAubrey
MAubrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,600

It sounds like they have quality control issues. I have the same adapter and its works just fine on my G2.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +2 more
ramcewan Regular Member • Posts: 143

MAubrey wrote:

It sounds like they have quality control issues. I have the same adapter and its works just fine on my G2.
--
--Mike

just bought one of these and got it today and I am having the same issue with loose connection on my e-pl2. For me it works fine but then when I zoom out clockwise (Zuiko 70-300mm) it wiggles too far and the screen starts flashing black/image/black/image but when I wiggle it back the other way counter clockwise it goes back to working. I can still use it with care but I am not happy and have an email to the seller asking for refund or replacement.

I compared the camera mount side to some other m43 lens mounts and the size and positioning of the metal tabs are different.

Hoping it was a bad batch and maybe can get a good one as I hate spending a ton for the same thing basically. argh

ramcewan's gear list:ramcewan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,893

Sounds similar to a problem I sometimes have with legacy adapters - if the adapter doesn't rotate into the fully locked position on the body, there isn't any image. Same effect as just pushing on the unlock button slightly. In my case, it isn't electrical at all, and is surprisingly common.

You should get something other than a black screen if you use just the adapter and no lens, which will confirm the problem more than using both together.

ramcewan Regular Member • Posts: 143

the seller got back to me and said they will swap it out for another one and if the one they swap it for doesn't fit they will give me my money back. Can't complain about that so we shall see how it goes... going to send it back today.

hindesite wrote:

Sounds similar to a problem I sometimes have with legacy adapters - if the adapter doesn't rotate into the fully locked position on the body, there isn't any image. Same effect as just pushing on the unlock button slightly. In my case, it isn't electrical at all, and is surprisingly common.

You should get something other than a black screen if you use just the adapter and no lens, which will confirm the problem more than using both together.

I will give that a try

ramcewan's gear list:ramcewan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Dimitrios Pikros New Member • Posts: 18

ramcewan wrote:

the seller got back to me and said they will swap it out for another one and if the one they swap it for doesn't fit they will give me my money back. Can't complain about that so we shall see how it goes... going to send it back today.

hindesite wrote:

I will give that a try

Any news about it? Have you got the new one working? 'Cause I don't want to pay a three digit amount for the original...

Dimitrios Pikros's gear list:Dimitrios Pikros's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +7 more
Al Bond Contributing Member • Posts: 620

Dimitrios Pikros wrote:A

ny news about it? Have you got the new one working? 'Cause I don't want to pay a three digit amount for the original...

I can't speak for the OP but I have a Viltrox JY-43F which I use to mount a 4/3 Olympus 35mm macro lens on my G5.  Had no problems with it at all.

Similarly, it works on my EPL1 with no issues.

MOSSYLENZ33 New Member • Posts: 3

I recently purchased the Viltrox JY-43F adaptor for my 4/3 Zuiko 35mm macro.
The adaptor easily fits onto the micro 4/3 Olympus camera body but I've tried at least ten times to get the 4/3 macro lens to twist and lock into the adaptor with no luck. It jambs every time and barely can get it back off again.

I wish I were one of the lucky ones who found they had no problem with it.

MOSSYLENZ33's gear list:MOSSYLENZ33's gear list
Olympus E-M1
qj-chaser New Member • Posts: 14

Just had exactly the same experience - buying the Viltrox adaptor (came in silver when I ordered black) and it doesn't work at all in spite of fiddling - I am going to have to send it back to the e-bay seller in Germany.

Folk seem to recommend using either the panasonic or Olympus adaptors.

MR

Patrick Y2020 New Member • Posts: 2

All the after market adapters have a thinner locking pins which result in tiny play between lens and adapter, and cause contacts mis-aligned. look into the adapter to check if the contacts are lineup, adjusted by turning, and use a small piece of alunimum foil tape to hold the lens and adapter in position (3 layers is better), to prevent the contacts shifted while turning the lens. Always hold the adapter to turn to mount lens/adapter to camera body. This works perfectly for me using the OM 12-60 f2.8 lens. Seems these adapters always works better with the kit lens.

kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,829

I have about a half dozen of those Viltrox adapters - each of my legacy 4/3 lenses has its own. No problems so far. Maybe there are good and bad batches. I think all of my Viltrox adapters are over a year old, so maybe different folks making them now.  I also have an Olympus adapter for the 9-18 4/3 lens.  It is the only one that I noticed a difference with.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Panasonic ZS100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Olympus TG-6 +34 more
SterlingBjorndahl Senior Member • Posts: 2,511

Looks like you're new here, so welcome, and I just wanted to point out that this thread goes way back to 2012. I wasn't sure if you had noticed that or not. It's easy to overlook the dates in DPR's forums, not that it matters in this case.

Patrick Y2020 wrote:

All the after market adapters have a thinner locking pins which result in tiny play between lens and adapter, and cause contacts mis-aligned. look into the adapter to check if the contacts are lineup, adjusted by turning, and use a small piece of alunimum foil tape to hold the lens and adapter in position (3 layers is better), to prevent the contacts shifted while turning the lens. Always hold the adapter to turn to mount lens/adapter to camera body. This works perfectly for me using the OM 12-60 f2.8 lens. Seems these adapters always works better with the kit lens.

Regards,
--
Lens Grit

SterlingBjorndahl's gear list:SterlingBjorndahl's gear list
Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads