Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,387
Re: Have you read your user manual?

PhotoCycler wrote:

I've seen multiple people complain about this, so apparently the flashing alert is easier to miss when you're not looking for it.

Of course, this is a minor issue to me compared to having a camera that has correct exposure with flash and external flash across various ISO's. Sony needs to start listening regarding that.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1037&thread=41523859

I can't help but ask this after seeing your frequent posts here for a month now - do you think you'll ever actually buy a Sony camera, or just keep reading and writing about their pros and cons and linking to other topics? You do realize that any camera you can get is going to have drawbacks of some kind, right?

inFocus Contributing Member • Posts: 641
Re: Have you read your user manual?

tbcass wrote:

The SLT's flash "NO CARD" in red letters in both the EVF and LCD that is almost impossible to miss so IMO the on-off feature is not needed.

I made a test and asked some friends to try my A77 and take som pictures. All but one did not react to the text "NO CARD" until AFTER they took the first picture. Conclusion, the text should be flashing in big red letters in the center of the display, not with small letters tucked away in a corner.

The on-off feature is certainly needed IMO.
--
What's that noise?

Archer66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,935
Re: Yes I blame Sony

tbcass wrote:

billorg wrote:

Yes sometimes people are id*ots and they need protection from themselves!

I disagree and hate products that are dumbed down to protect the lowest common denominator.

+1

Unfortunately that seems to be a trend with new products.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 37,199
Re: Have you read your user manual?

Kzoozoomer wrote:

P.S. Anybody ever forget to load film in their film cameras?

I did that once and believe me I never did it again!!! I discovered it after only 1 shot because I was in the habit of checking how many shots I had taken and the number didn't advance. Same with memory card. One time I can understand, especially by an inexperienced user, but if it happens again well;

Fool me once shame on me. Fool me twice shame on you.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 37,199
Re: That would be a nice to have feature

al. wrote:

But really, maybe you need to check the camera before you start taking pictures. Like see if the memory card is there with enough space left and if battery has enough juice. Probably a way to do that would be to ensure the camera is ready for the next job before you put the camera away.

I think this is mainly a noob problem because someone inexperienced with an advanced camera may be a bit overwhelmed by all the features and could easily forget the memory card.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
The_Wicker_Man
The_Wicker_Man Senior Member • Posts: 1,521
Re: Yes, apparently the OP didn't buy the "Nanny" model of the camera,

Corkcampbell wrote:

but, instead, got the normal, adult model.

The Nanny configuration adds warnings for:

No card
Camera still off
Shoes untied
No battery (as mentioned by another poster)
No house keys
No lens
Car keys left in car
Car left running with doors locked
No car
Car payment late

+1 to all of the above

is it really that difficult to check whether or not there's a card in the slot before shooting?
--
i know what i know, which is a fraction of what i don't

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,387
Re: That would be a nice to have feature

tbcass wrote:

I think this is mainly a noob problem because someone inexperienced with an advanced camera may be a bit overwhelmed by all the features and could easily forget the memory card.

Isn't that odd... because Sony has included the option to prevent the camera from firing without a card in place specifically on their high end models like the A700/A850/A900.

Tandaina Contributing Member • Posts: 568
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!

There's a setting. Change it to not release the shutter without a card. Done.

No it isn't on by default (at least on my a900) but you can TURN it on...
--
http://tandaina.smugmug.com/

Videoguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,671
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!

Tandaina wrote:

There's a setting. Change it to not release the shutter without a card. Done.

No it isn't on by default (at least on my a900) but you can TURN it on...

It appears you didn't read the post before yours and some of the earlier posts that said this option was included on some Sony cameras but not the ones being complained about. "Done?" I guess not.

Videoguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,671
Re: That would be a nice to have feature

sybersitizen wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I think this is mainly a noob problem because someone inexperienced with an advanced camera may be a bit overwhelmed by all the features and could easily forget the memory card.

Isn't that odd... because Sony has included the option to prevent the camera from firing without a card in place specifically on their high end models like the A700/A850/A900.

Yeh, leave it to Sony to let us take pictures without a card installed. I don't know that I ever tried to do that with mine. Not as bad as lazy eyes I guess. ha!

Fotohouse
Fotohouse Regular Member • Posts: 343
Re: Yes, apparently the OP didn't buy the "Nanny" model of the camera,

The_Wicker_Man wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote:

but, instead, got the normal, adult model.

The Nanny configuration adds warnings for:

No card
Camera still off
Shoes untied
No battery (as mentioned by another poster)
No house keys
No lens
Car keys left in car
Car left running with doors locked
No car
Car payment late

+1 to all of the above

is it really that difficult to check whether or not there's a card in the slot before shooting?

No Kidding, the first thing I do when I turn on the Camera is take a quick check to see how many shots I have left. This is such a basic act of common sense I am actually amused by how many people are not capable of doing such a simple thing and cry about the camera maker.

-- hide signature --

i know what i know, which is a fraction of what i don't

 Fotohouse's gear list:Fotohouse's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha a99 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +9 more
PhotoCycler Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: Yes, apparently the OP didn't buy the "Nanny" model of the camera,

Fotohouse wrote:

No Kidding, the first thing I do when I turn on the Camera is take a quick check to see how many shots I have left. This is such a basic act of common sense I am actually amused by how many people are not capable of doing such a simple thing and cry about the camera maker.

I don't know about others, but I've never come close to filling up my memory card, so I never have wasted the time checking the number of pictures I have left. Also, most people experiencing this issue most likely would have just transferred all of their pictures off when they removed the card in the first place, so they would not be concerned about the number of pictures left on an empty card. Yeh, common sense.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 37,199
Re: That would be a nice to have feature

sybersitizen wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I think this is mainly a noob problem because someone inexperienced with an advanced camera may be a bit overwhelmed by all the features and could easily forget the memory card.

Isn't that odd... because Sony has included the option to prevent the camera from firing without a card in place specifically on their high end models like the A700/A850/A900.

The A100 also would not fire without a card. I'm not excusing Sony for allowing it to happen with their lower end OVF cameras but the SLTs do flash a warning that's pretty hard to miss. Anyways it's still primarily a noob problem.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,482
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!

billorg wrote:

Happened to me today and SO FRUSTRATING. Can you tell me why Sony cameras all let you take pictures happily when there is no card inserted?? It is very easy to miss the "no card" words especially when not using the LCD. My Canons all are cool in this way - no card, no shutter release (you can set this). Am I missing a setting somewhere? Seems all my Sonys have done this...

Bill

-- hide signature --

These cameras are under very strict statistical process control when they are built and tested... the software is the software...chances are slim that one camera would function differently than another... but it's still possible... but because these cameras are so technologically advances I would be almost willing to bet that the issue is operator error. Now I know that no one having a problem will agree with this but then I bet they would also say they are an excellent driver ... and we all know that most drivers other than ourselves are idiots... I do alot of competitive shooting, and all the newbies come to the range thinking they are a good shot.. ( a freak of nature in their own mind ) I had one guy complain about his gun being the problem... and I asked him if I could try it and put five shots in a dime sized group at 50 yards.,... and this guy could barely hit the paper... but to ask him.. prior to this and he would tell you he was a good shot... digging a bit further, his only contact with shooting was on the boardwalk with a 22, shooting five inch silhouettes from 10 feet away...

You would think that those who fall prey to this would recognize what to look for the next time they go to shoot and verify that the card is present or in this case look to see if the No card warning is in the VF.... I guess if they continue having this problem , they can be the reason people say, I guess I need a Brick to fall on my head more than once... I know for me if this happened I would make sure it never happened again and recognize the warning... Some people just don't pay attention to things that are smacking them right in the face... I guess these same people don't check to see that their WB and ISO setting are correct before shooting...Never check a histogram.. Talk about Idiot proofing a camera.. the EVF and its overlays and live view make it almost impossible to take a bad shot.. unless of course you are a higher class of Idiot... or maybe you close your eyes when you shoot .. just like some of the newbies at my gun club.

Bill
Capturing memories, one at a time.

Visit my Smug Mug Galleries at:
http://evil-twin.smugmug.com/

 EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
Samsolar Senior Member • Posts: 2,285
Re: That would be a nice to have feature

Add the A550 to that list that won't fire without a card.

tbcass wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I think this is mainly a noob problem because someone inexperienced with an advanced camera may be a bit overwhelmed by all the features and could easily forget the memory card.

Isn't that odd... because Sony has included the option to prevent the camera from firing without a card in place specifically on their high end models like the A700/A850/A900.

The A100 also would not fire without a card. I'm not excusing Sony for allowing it to happen with their lower end OVF cameras but the SLTs do flash a warning that's pretty hard to miss. Anyways it's still primarily a noob problem.

 Samsolar's gear list:Samsolar's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +2 more
PhotoCycler Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: That would be a nice to have feature

Videoguy wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I think this is mainly a noob problem because someone inexperienced with an advanced camera may be a bit overwhelmed by all the features and could easily forget the memory card.

Isn't that odd... because Sony has included the option to prevent the camera from firing without a card in place specifically on their high end models like the A700/A850/A900.

Yeh, leave it to Sony to let us take pictures without a card installed. I don't know that I ever tried to do that with mine. Not as bad as lazy eyes I guess. ha!

Even though I don't think it would be a problem for me, it's just one of those little things about Sony that annoys me. The alert is too easy to miss, and it seems people just want to make excuses for Sony and blame the user that Sony made a camera that takes pictures without a card. It's not as bad as Sony returning non-repaired cameras with the template response "operating to specification" though. Hello Sony, is anyone home?

PhotoCycler Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: Have you read your user manual?

sybersitizen wrote:

I can't help but ask this after seeing your frequent posts here for a month now - do you think you'll ever actually buy a Sony camera, or just keep reading and writing about their pros and cons and linking to other topics? You do realize that any camera you can get is going to have drawbacks of some kind, right?

syber, no problem. It's a multi-facetted response, but of course I realize no camera is going to be perfect.

1) I actually already have a Sony "system" DSLR (KM before Sony buyout) and several Alpha mount lenses and 3600HS(D) external flash, all for over 6 years now, and it still works and takes pictures. Is it perfect? Not even close.

2) I ordered an A55 just a few weeks ago because of a sudden good combo deal, but I cancelled due to its lack of electric first curtain and reported shutter lag with flash issues. After more thinking on it after I cancelled, I realized there were even more reasons that made the A57 or A65 a better choice for me to justify the cost difference.

3) I'm in no rush to buy. I have the luxury of time and do not want to buy prematurely and regret it as I did with the KM 5D and almost did with the A55. If I have doubts, then it's not an issue for me to wait and continue taking pictures with my 3 other cameras. It's already been 6+ years with my current DSLR, so when I buy, I hope to stick with it a good while and want to make the best choice which I can live with without regrets.

4) I'm concerned about the reported flash exposure inconsistencies reported on the A65 and A77, even after firmware updates. It's too early to say whether similar reports will come in for the same issue on the A57. This isn't just a drawback, but unacceptable.

5) It concerns me that Sony has been unable to fix cameras that were sent in with exposure or focus issues and on one occasion told the user that the camera had water damage and wouldn't be covered by warranty (user stated it had never touched water.) I was reading some posts on the Nikon forum where users had sent in cameras which were actually fixed. I didn't see a single post of a camera returned non-repaired.

6) I'm not completely sold on Sony in spite of an existing investment with my KM 5D, several Minolta lenses, and a Minolta flash. I don't particularly care for the low end Nikon & Canon either, and the midlevel 7D & D7000 models are a little long in the tooth and don't really fit the bill either.

7) It's a 3 hour round trip driving time just to get to the nearest store that might carry an A57 and A65 (or A77), and I would really like to check out the differences in those viewfinders first hand and feel the A77 "monster" in my hands. But due to some of the reasons already mentioned, I'm not sure I'm ready to make a trip that could be a waste of time.

8) My financial investments are down significantly over the last 2 weeks or so, which makes me a little stingier with spending dough unless I'm very comfortable with the decision. Although, it's mostly psychological in nature as I have the cash funds available to cover this purchase.

................ and still taking pictures in the mean time.

Sam147 Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: Have you read your user manual?

I don't want Sony to stop us, then how will i remove the card and brag about 12fps
(saves time)

 Sam147's gear list:Sam147's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 2,135
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!

Beaverhelmet wrote:

I use a trick I learned from an old pro- NEVER close the memory card/battery door when there is no memory card or battery in the camera. I was a little bit worried I would snap the protruding lid, but it has never happened yet, and the trick has saved me several times from leaving home with a useless camera.

I quote myself from another recent thread. I started using this practice in my old Canon days. Those cameras did not fire w/o the memory card, but that did not help much when you pick up the camera at a location.

WaltKnapp Forum Pro • Posts: 13,857
Re: My A700 Doesn't

dlkeller wrote:

When did they change?

The a700 can be set either way

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads