User reviews of cameras on dpreview

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions
Coldamus Senior Member • Posts: 2,281
User reviews of cameras on dpreview

In one of the WB850 threads, "the unmentionable one" made a sarcastic comment about posting a user review and giving the camera 5 stars.

I'm not suggesting anyone should literally do that. However it would make the dpr user ratings more helpful to prospective purchasers if owners of current and recent model Samsung cameras were to post fair and honest user reviews on this site.

Currently the user ratings are skewed by maliciious and/or uninformed reviews on the one hand and shills on the other. Some comments are obviously from people blaming the camera for their own lack of ability or knowledge. You'll see what I mean when you read the NX200 user reviews for example. It happens with all brands and models but the NX200 is particularly susceptible because it is a lot more camera than its clean and simple appearance suggests - clearly too much for some users.

Don't hold back on the "Cons" or the "Pros", just give an honest assessment and it will help dilute the trash currently there.

For any particular camera, find and select it in the database and click on the "user reviews" link. For example, the NX200 is here: http://www.dpreview.com/products/samsung/slrs/samsung_nx200/user-reviews/list

Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
Re: User reviews of cameras on dpreview

Coldamus wrote:

In one of the WB850 threads, "the unmentionable one" made a sarcastic comment about posting a user review and giving the camera 5 stars.

Ah yes, the "currently unavailable" one.

I'm not suggesting anyone should literally do that. However it would make the dpr user ratings more helpful to prospective purchasers if owners of current and recent model Samsung cameras were to post fair and honest user reviews on this site.

Thanks for pointing out the user review feature, but I'll be surprised if it becomes useful, since there's nothing to stop people that know almost nothing about the camera they're "reviewing" from posting bogus information, whether they're aware of it or not.

Currently the user ratings are skewed by maliciious and/or uninformed reviews on the one hand and shills on the other. Some comments are obviously from people blaming the camera for their own lack of ability or knowledge. You'll see what I mean when you read the NX200 user reviews for example.

Yep. The NX100 user reviews were a model of what the reviews should be like, at least compared with some of the NX200 bilge.

brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

There's one user review for the EX1 that gives .5 stars because the user doesn't like samsung's service. What this has to do with the camera performance I can't figure out.

It is an issue if the user has experienced poor service, but that is not the correct place to feed it back.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Auster Pilot Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

Anyone with any sense would take the current reviews for the NX200 with a pinch of salt as there is only 4 of them - 2 postiive, 2 negative. Such a small sample is a useless pool on which to base a purchasing selection.

Also most people understand that review sites are skewed towards those who have had problems (those for whom the camera is OK don't feel a need to voice this). Dpreview is probably one of the most likely sites for someone to come to in order to post a camera review so only 2 negative responses is actually a fairly positive response so far.

I would certainly support getting more people to contribute reviews - either negative or positive. Unfortunately - based on what I have seen about this camera so far, I think I would end up giving a negative review as the loss of the EVF and Remote shutter would have really upset me had I chosen to upgrade from the NX100 which I really like.

As to inclusion of the Maker support - to me this is an important aspect of the purchase process. If I buy anything new I expect it to work as advertised. If it doesn't then knowing that the vendor or manufacturer will try their best to assist (or knowing that they may not) would be a factor in the decision process. Having a camera that can produce fantastic images is useless if it is going to be sat on a shelf waiting for someone to fix it. Maybe it is less significant for a camera, but would you purchase a car knowing that the maker would not attend to warranty items? I think you'd appreciate a review that included this factor.

Whether or not the value that the reviewer allocated was appropriate to maker support issue may be at question.

-- hide signature --

Neil....
The Sky is a Beautiful Place

Auster Pilot's gear list:Auster Pilot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +2 more
sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401

Coldamus wrote:

A tall order, and part of what's really messed up about this (and any) such scheme.

You get the disgruntled former or current user, honest but embellishing somewhat in their frustration, perhaps. You also get forum brats like the aforementioned one or his cronies, just out to stir up the pot. What's left is a remarkably small ratio of people giving straightforward critique and real hands-on experience.

If you try, you can see past the former two types and find the latter. I wade through it a lot on Amazon when buying anything from a book to a laptop... A sharp eye can sometimes weed out the others and see the ones who are speaking rationally or truthfully. Also, it helps to have a 'like' or rating system. The clearly full-of-it types often get voted down, so you see a '1 out of 20 found this helpful' or similar gauge.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony a7 II
jj74e Senior Member • Posts: 1,633

Coldamus wrote:

you mean, you-know-who? ahaha

mhike Regular Member • Posts: 366

Solicitation to post heavily biased Samsung reviews?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

OP Coldamus Senior Member • Posts: 2,281

mhike wrote:

Do you have a comprehension problem? This is what I said:

Don't hold back on the "Cons" or the "Pros", just give an honest assessment and it will help dilute the trash currently there.

How did you manage to translate "fair and honest" to "heavily biased"? Perhaps I should rephrase it in words of one syllable.

By the way, your forked tongue is showing! (n/t)

No text

Jon Allison Regular Member • Posts: 317

Too many people try to justify their disappointment with a purchase by telling everyone else how good it is and trying to ignore the negatives.

As I pointed out in another thread, I have a few cameras, a Nikon DSLR, Samsung EX1, Sony HX9v and a couple of Olympus m43s. They are all good, some better than others, but all eminently usable. Each have negatives and I'm aware of those negatives and am willing to accept them point them out,n note point them out, bot bitch and moan about them. It's just that some think that I'm trolling if a negative is pointed out, especialy if it is a compact that I criticise; then I'm being superior.
It can be very misleading to those who ask for advice.

mhike wrote:

-- hide signature --
sensibill

Jon Allison wrote:

Too many people try to justify their disappointment with a purchase by telling everyone else how good it is and trying to ignore the negatives.

Except that nobody has been doing that, here.

As I pointed out in another thread, I have a few cameras,

Most contributors at DPR have owned many different models as well.

Each have negatives and I'm aware of those negatives and am willing to accept them point them out,n note point them out, bot bitch and moan about them. It's just that some think that I'm trolling if a negative is pointed out, especialy if it is a compact that I criticise; then I'm being superior.

This was never a matter of posting negatives about a camera.

What Greynerd took issue with was your 'Ha! I thought it you said it' response to snakeb's typically unprovoked shot at CoasterTim for being excited to get his new WB850. He had a valid point — people here should not be intimidated from posting things like 'I love my new camera!' for fear of someone like you namecalling or implying he's dishonest and should 'go post a 5-star review right away'.

CoasterTim hasn't posted since. Nor has Greynerd. Neither of those people ever reviewed a single product on DPR , Samsung or otherwise.

Nikon 1 J1 Sony a7 II
Jon Allison Regular Member • Posts: 317

sensibill wrote:

Jon Allison wrote:

That's a very subjective view. Quite strange coming from you...

Which means nothing in relation to my comment about mentioning the weak points.

Each have negatives and I'm aware of those negatives and am willing to accept them point them out,n note point them out, bot bitch and moan about them. It's just that some think that I'm trolling if a negative is pointed out, especialy if it is a compact that I criticise; then I'm being superior.

Did you actually read this thread?

What Greynerd took issue with was your 'Ha! I thought it you said it' response to snakeb's typically unprovoked shot at CoasterTim for being excited to get his new WB850. He had a valid point — people here should not be intimidated from posting things like 'I love my new camera!' for fear of someone like you namecalling or implying he's dishonest and should 'go post a 5-star review right away'.

Ther's a difference between saying 'I love my camera' and coming across as a shill, being happy with a purchase is one thing, gushing all over it is something.I didn't call anybody names or accuse them of going off to do a 5-star review.

CoasterTim hasn't posted since. Nor has Greynerd. Neither of those people ever reviewed a single product on DPR , Samsung or otherwise.

Doesn't mean anything, never said they did.

Best read this quickly before it gets consigned to the memory hole. Blaspheming in front of the acolytes of Samsung is frowned upon.

-- hide signature --
sensibill

Jon Allison wrote:

sensibill wrote:

Jon Allison wrote:

That's a very subjective view. Quite strange coming from you...

The problem isn't intolerance of Samsung criticism, because you haven't actually posted any. The problem is that you're attacking people in this forum, namecalling and generally trying to push people around. That's what gets your posts deleted, not some supposed conspiracy to quell all negative Samsung comments.

Which means nothing in relation to my comment about mentioning the weak points.

Then why mention your list of cameras?

Did you actually read this thread?

Yes, indeed. The trouble started with you and snakeb telling OP to go write a 5-star review (sarcasm). It snowballed when you both launched at Greynerd for calling you on it.

Ther's a difference between saying 'I love my camera' and coming across as a shill, being happy with a purchase is one thing, gushing all over it is something.I didn't call anybody names or accuse them of going off to do a 5-star review.

Anyone in this forum should be able to say 'I love my camera' without someone like you implying they're a company plant, shill or similar.

Doesn't mean anything, never said they did.

Best read this quickly before it gets consigned to the memory hole. Blaspheming in front of the acolytes of Samsung is frowned upon.

You hijacked a thread and turned it into a troll war. Now you're claiming to be a victim? At least have the stones to take responsibility for your own comments. You haven't posted any Samsung 'blasphemy' to be frowned upon, just attacks on other members of this forum, and that is apparently not something DPR puts up with, thankfully.

Nikon 1 J1 Sony a7 II

Jon Allison wrote:

As I pointed out in another thread, I have a few cameras, a Nikon DSLR, Samsung EX1, Sony HX9v and a couple of Olympus m43s. They are all good, some better than others, but all eminently usable. Each have negatives and I'm aware of those negatives and am willing to accept them point them out,n note point them out, bot bitch and moan about them. It's just that some think that I'm trolling if a negative is pointed out, especialy if it is a compact that I criticise; then I'm being superior.
It can be very misleading to those who ask for advice.

I own a EX1 and have posted many shortcomings of it as have others, and never come under any criticism, you can search my threads to see where I have been both critical and also praised the EX1.

But then along came the one who speaks with a forked tongue, and he took exception to anyone saying the slightest praise of any samsung camera, which got to the extent that I have been stalked across many forums and hunted down by the same person and ridiculed for anything I said about any subject. This persons agenda is to wreck the flow of any thread here and divert it into a war, thus removing any avenue for owners to get any pleasure out of communicating about their cameras.

All of the members of this forum are sick to the back teeth of this behaviour, and you were unlucky enough to get caught in the crossfire in Graynerds thread. Nobody minds balanced criticism of cameras, the last thing we want here is a repeat of the fuji forum where people get great delight out of slicing each other to pieces.

If you have any valid weaknesses of any samsung cameras then I would like to get the details of that, I get great interest like you in finding ways to work around these weak points and get the best results from any camera I use.

Brian

mhike Regular Member • Posts: 366

Good reviews should be written by people who feel moved enough to write them, not because they are motivated by a group to write only positive ones. That's something that should not take place at all. Mind you, the ones who are here have also tried covering up various flaws and defended Samsung endlessly when operational problems were found, like the NX200 hardware speed issues.

And certainly, FW should be part of the experience and FW has always been a huge problem, along with lens availability.

For those who haven't noticed, mhike=snake_b

In typical troll style, a dormant user account was revived within hours of the reptilian one being banned.

Re: For those who haven't noticed, mhike=snake_b

Yes, I was checking into that myself, and although I cannot find any absolute evidence, the similarity is astounding. At the moment without any solid evidence I will have to consider this similarity to be an amazing coincidence!!

Brian

Coldamus wrote:

In typical troll style, a dormant user account was revived within hours of the reptilian one being banned.

It is no coincidence.

Coldamus wrote:

It is no coincidence.

I know, the phrasing has changed but the subjects and negativity remain the same.

Brian

snake_b wrote:

Good reviews should be written by people who feel moved enough to write them, not because they are motivated by a group to write only positive ones.

That's a bit rich - the height of hypocrisy after your smart comment here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1001&message=41455727

Now, please quote and I mean literally QUOTE anywhere in this thread where anyone other than yourself has suggested posting only positive reviews.

My suggestion was that users post "fair and honest" reviews. I also said "Don't hold back on the 'Cons' or the 'Pros', just give an honest assessment.

It seems I underestimated the intellectual and conceptual difficulty that the words "true" and "honest" would pose for people such as yourself.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads