Vignetting on 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM with 5D mark III

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,124
Not necessarily

This looks like typical behavior from this lens and not a hood alignment issue. The lens suffers from light fall off in the corners. Everyone should know this by now. Besides, it's not easy to put a hood on incorrectly.

The location of the sun can make one side of the frame of a sky shot lighter than the other. Yes, even with a hood on. The sun is frame left based on the light reflected on the aircraft. Hence, the left side of the frame is lighter in the corners. Basic photography. Only way to get consistent light across the frame would be if the sun was directly behind the camera and not to one side or the other.

Steve Balcombe wrote:

photonius wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

robbert100 wrote:

Vignetting in the first picture looks normal to me (comparable with the vignetting I noticed with my copy of this lens on a 5DmkII and 5DmkIII)

In the second picture it looks like the vignetting at the right side is more pronounced than the vignetting on the left side makiing me think about a not properly attached lens hood.

I agree, that looks like vignetting caused by a physical obstruction.

late to the party, but I get the same impression, lens hood not seated correctly?

Pieter has now posted that Canon SA have unofficially announced an "update coming this week to solve the vignetting problem". Me, I'm saying nothing more for the moment...

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
f_stops Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: Not necessarily

Your gray wall shot does look fine at 2.8, the air show 7.1 shot looks suspicious. I recommend you find a white wall somewhere and repeat. You can get some 'darkening sky' behavior, but if all your shots are dark on the right at 7.1 you have a mechanical issue.

At f 7.1 Schwany is wrong about falloff.
However the sky is not an even light source and polarized.

Schwany wrote:

This looks like typical behavior from this lens and not a hood alignment issue. The lens suffers from light fall off in the corners. Everyone should know this by now. Besides, it's not easy to put a hood on incorrectly.

The location of the sun can make one side of the frame of a sky shot lighter than the other. Yes, even with a hood on. The sun is frame left based on the light reflected on the aircraft. Hence, the left side of the frame is lighter in the corners. Basic photography. Only way to get consistent light across the frame would be if the sun was directly behind the camera and not to one side or the other.

70-200

at 4.0

at 2.8

f_stops's gear list:f_stops's gear list
Leica M9
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,124
Re: Not necessarily

I can see light fall off in the corners in every one of your example shots. Were they supposed to be proof I was wrong. Maybe you need a new monitor or some glasses if you can't see it. In addition, maybe you should take those same shots outdoors pointing the lens and camera up into a clear blue sky. That would illustrate what the OP is describing better than a stucco wall.

There is nothing wrong with the OPs lens. And if I'm wrong, so are 90% of the reviews of this lens. I own it, it vignettes due to falloff. More when wide open, but it doesn't disappear entirely stopped down.

f_stops wrote:

Your gray wall shot does look fine at 2.8, the air show 7.1 shot looks suspicious. I recommend you find a white wall somewhere and repeat. You can get some 'darkening sky' behavior, but if all your shots are dark on the right at 7.1 you have a mechanical issue.

At f 7.1 Schwany is wrong about falloff.
However the sky is not an even light source and polarized.

Schwany wrote:

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,778
Re: Vignetting on 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM with 5D mark III

Steve Balcombe wrote:

photonius wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

robbert100 wrote:

Vignetting in the first picture looks normal to me (comparable with the vignetting I noticed with my copy of this lens on a 5DmkII and 5DmkIII)

In the second picture it looks like the vignetting at the right side is more pronounced than the vignetting on the left side makiing me think about a not properly attached lens hood.

late to the party, but I get the same impression, lens hood not seated correctly?

Pieter has now posted that Canon SA have unofficially announced an "update coming this week to solve the vignetting problem". Me, I'm saying nothing more for the moment...

Yes, I saw that.

If Canon is trying to fix it, it seems to imply simply something wrong with the vignetting correction algorithm, that may not work right for the 5D III 70-200 combo. That's why I asked what type of image was posted (i.e.w as a Canon vignetting correction applied or not). If the algorithm was totally off, it might perhaps give this vignetting (no idea, just wild speculation). In any case, it still would not explain the asymmetry, unless it's unevenness in the sky, as suggested. Still, it seems the sky looks rather homogenous throughout,

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,778

photonius wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

photonius wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

robbert100 wrote:

Yes, I saw that.

If Canon is trying to fix it, it seems to imply simply something wrong with the vignetting correction algorithm, that may not work right for the 5D III 70-200 combo. That's why I asked what type of image was posted (i.e.w as a Canon vignetting correction applied or not). If the algorithm was totally off, it might perhaps give this vignetting (no idea, just wild speculation). In any case, it still would not explain the asymmetry, unless it's unevenness in the sky, as suggested. Still, it seems the sky looks rather homogenous throughout,

Just checked with digital color meter. The sky is homogenous blue, and there is definite asymmetry in the vignetting.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
robbert100 Contributing Member • Posts: 545

Last weekend I did some testiing with my EOS 5DmkIII, the 70-200 2.8L IS mkII and as a bonus with my 70-200 4.0L IS.

Although (as expected) the vignetting at 2.8 is quite strong I can't find any problems. The vigenetting looks the same as the vigenetting as found in the tests on the-digital-picture.

The examples of my tests are found via:

http://geckophoto.zenfolio.com/p63873134

Best regards,

Rob

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
robbert100 Contributing Member • Posts: 545

robbert100 wrote:

Last weekend I did some testiing with my EOS 5DmkIII, the 70-200 2.8L IS mkII and as a bonus with my 70-200 4.0L IS.

Although (as expected) the vignetting at 2.8 is quite strong I can't find any problems. The vigenetting looks the same as the vigenetting as found in the tests on the-digital-picture.

The examples of my tests are found via:

http://geckophoto.zenfolio.com/p63873134

Now with titles under each picture

Best regards,

Rob

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
imagenes_vivas Regular Member • Posts: 124

Pieter Oosthuysen wrote:

Canon SA said (not official yet) there is an update coming this week to solve the vignetting problem, I will post the official confirmation as soon as I get it from them

Regards

Hi Pieter, as I have the same problem, you ever received the answer from Canon?

imagenes_vivas's gear list:imagenes_vivas's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads