FZ150 Chickadee's.

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Johnny Horton
Johnny Horton Contributing Member • Posts: 669
FZ150 Chickadee's.

I lucked out a few days ago when I found two Chickadee nest's in fence post's just a few hundred feet apart. Chickadee's are very trusting so I was able to get extremely close. These shots are of the parents of the first nest. The young flew the coop when I wasn't around so I didn't get any shots of them other than the tops of their heads. On the other nest however, I happened along just as the young were leaving the nest and got some really cute shots of them but I haven't sorted them yet so I'll post those in a day or two. Thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --
Lil g
Lil g Contributing Member • Posts: 547
Re: FZ150 Chickadee's.

Really nice shots Johnny. Excellent detail. I think the FZ150 was made for birds. Look forward to seeing the chicks.
Greg

Lil g's gear list:Lil g's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +3 more
ysal
ysal Veteran Member • Posts: 8,711

Wow these are excellent shots of some really cute birds!! Great detail. These parents are doing a job of feeding their babies.
--
yuki

ysal's gear list:ysal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
panacealater Contributing Member • Posts: 671

Very nicely done. Everything about these images clicks.

ToneM Contributing Member • Posts: 556

Thanks for posting, Johnny! I love chickadees and you did a fantastic job capturing them.

Regards,

ToneM
--
http://catonpremise.posterous.com/

John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,113
Johnny: Teleconverter?

Very nice shots. Do you use a tele-converter?

Harveydad Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: Chickadee's.

Johnny, you did well and the camera did well. Great shots. Show us more.......
--
POGO was right !

SnapPics Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

Great set Johnny, what a wonderful set of nests you have found. Excellent images.

Regards,
Rick

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 16,077

Nice shots, and good eyes to see them give their coloring is so like the tree!
--
Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
John Beavin
John Beavin Senior Member • Posts: 2,436

These are top shots, can't wait to view the next lot.

John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 +1 more
Johnny Horton
Johnny Horton OP Contributing Member • Posts: 669

Lil g wrote:

Really nice shots Johnny. Excellent detail. I think the FZ150 was made for birds. Look forward to seeing the chicks.
Greg

Thanks Gregg! Yeah, I've been wanting a superzoom for quite a long time just for birding and other critters. After seeing some of the awesome photos from the FZ150 that folks have posted here, I had to finally take the plunge. It's very seldom that I leave the house without it.

-- hide signature --
Johnny Horton

ysal wrote:

Wow these are excellent shots of some really cute birds!! Great detail. These parents are doing a job of feeding their babies.
--
yuki--

These little birds amazed me at how hard they worked to feed and care for their young. I couldn't believe how much they ate and it was really interesting to see all the different insects and worms that the parents would bring. Thanks for your comments!

Johnny
http://www.pbase.com/big24fan

Johnny Horton
Re: Johnny: Teleconverter?

John McCormack wrote:

Very nice shots. Do you use a tele-converter?

Thanks John! No, none of these shots were taken with a TC. However, the big brown truck dropped off a Panasonic DMW-LT55 yesterday and I can't wait to try it out. I found a blue bird nest in a fence post just a few feet away from one of the chickadee's nest. The blue birds are a lot less trusting than the chickadee's though, so hopefully the extra reach of the LT55 will allow me to get some shots of them.

-- hide signature --
Johnny Horton
Re: Johnny: Teleconverter?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to check out my photos and comment on them. I really appreciate it! All your great comments are really inspiring and they make me want to shoot more. As I mentioned, I received an LT55 TC yesterday so hopefully I can get some shots of the more skittish birds. Does anybody know whether or not it's best to leave the TC setting to on or off for the the FZ150 when using the LT55? I'll try to get some photos of the chickadee babies posted soon. Thanks again!
--
Johnny

Nicholas Bell
Nicholas Bell Senior Member • Posts: 2,126

Really nice shots, Johnny. Very sharp. Interesting to see them eating insects, all I ever spot them doing is raiding the bird feeder Thanks for sharing.

Nick

Johnny Horton

Nicholas Bell wrote:

Really nice shots, Johnny. Very sharp. Interesting to see them eating insects, all I ever spot them doing is raiding the bird feeder Thanks for sharing.

Nick

Yep, now that you mention it, it is unusual to see them with something in their mouth besides seed. I guess they want to give their young plenty of protein. Thanks Nick!
--
Johnny

in_focus
in_focus Forum Pro • Posts: 18,674

Beautiful set, Johnny.. well taken shots of concerned feathery parents .. hard to believe they are such a good hunters! .. thanks for sharing ..

Best regards,
--
Bruno

Johnny Horton

in_focus wrote:

Beautiful set, Johnny.. well taken shots of concerned feathery parents .. hard to believe they are such a good hunters! .. thanks for sharing ..

Best regards,
--
Bruno

Yeah, they do bring back some interesting looking things for their kids to eat. I'd like to know where they are finding all those bright colored worms. They would make excellent macro subjects. Thanks Bruno!
--
Johnny

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads