What's A57 advantages over A65?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
KingDon Senior Member • Posts: 1,131
What's A57 advantages over A65?

We know A65 has the OLED EVF and the 24 MP sensor, and GPS, but A57 should have some advantages too?

let's list them

(1) $200 cheaper
(2) Larger buffer due to the 16 MP sensor
(3) 12 fps 8 MP with 1.4 crop
(4) A few new software features, like "portrait" and the "clear" zoom.
(5) more?

How is the menu lag on A57?

PhotoCycler Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: What's A57 advantages over A65?

AutoISO is capped at 3200 on A57, 1600 on A65.

When viewing 100% / actual pixels, the A57 has less noise at a given ISO. The difference is mostly negated if viewing both at the same size.

A57 doesn't have a GPS, which is an advantage if traveling to places where GPS's aren't allowed.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 41,208

KingDon wrote:

We know A65 has the OLED EVF and the 24 MP sensor, and GPS, but A57 should have some advantages too?

let's list them

(1) $200 cheaper

Same size buffer but the larger file sizes from the A65 eat up buffer space faster.

I wouldn't call the clear zoom feature an advantage because all it is doing is cropping and resizing which gives no extra true resolution but makes the file sizes bigger. It's a pretty useless feature IMO.

The A65 menu lag was eliminated with firmware 1.5 although it is virtually non existent with 1.4.

IMO the better EVF of the A65 alone is worth the $200 and the 24mp is a big advantage as well as it allows a lot of cropping while retaining detail.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Kzoozoomer Senior Member • Posts: 1,493
What about flash exposure?

Does the A57 have the same flash overexposure issues reported here?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=41341717

Kzoozoomer's gear list:Kzoozoomer's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
Fearless_Photog Senior Member • Posts: 1,250

tbcass wrote:

KingDon wrote:

Same size buffer but the larger file sizes from the A65 eat up buffer space faster.

Being able to buffer more frames is an advantage in action shooting, whether it's due to more actual memory in the buffer or smaller file sizes, the result is the same. The A57 has a huge RAW buffer (in terms of number of files it can hold in the buffer) for a camera in it's price range.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcullenphoto/

tbcass

PhotoCycler wrote:

A57 doesn't have a GPS, which is an advantage if traveling to places where GPS's aren't allowed.

Nothing like turning a disadvantage into an advantage

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Re: What about flash exposure?

Kzoozoomer wrote:

I haven't seen any complaints yet. Not as many A57 users probably have external flashes though.

tbcass wrote:

PhotoCycler wrote:

Nothing like turning a disadvantage into an advantage

Yeh, someone mentioned it before. Might save someone from jail or having their camera confiscated. But I rather have the GPS myself.

TristanW
TristanW Contributing Member • Posts: 576

To me, the key advantages will be the digital-zoom in video-recording + a bit longer battery-life.

It can overcome some inconvenience when using short-zoom/fix lens, during video.

I'm waiting for new NEX-5/F5 with this feature.

KingDon wrote:

let's list them

(1) $200 cheaper
(5) more?

-- hide signature --

Tristan

1635ZA + 2470ZA + 135ZA + 70400G + 50/1.4;
58AM / 43AM;
a850

TristanW's gear list:TristanW's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +8 more
EdwinB
EdwinB Regular Member • Posts: 364

PhotoCycler wrote:

Kzoozoomer wrote:

I haven't seen any complaints yet. Not as many A57 users probably have external flashes though.

I have the sony 42 flash with my A57 and no problems at all. No lag and overexposure at all

OP KingDon Senior Member • Posts: 1,131

tbcass wrote:

KingDon wrote:

let's list them

(1) $200 cheaper

That'a exactly what I meant, but the end result is the same: burst rate is better/deeper on A57

I wouldn't call the clear zoom feature an advantage because all it is doing is cropping and resizing which gives no extra true resolution but makes the file sizes bigger. It's a pretty useless feature IMO.

The theory is that that it's not simple resizing. "The theory is that it intelligently interpolates between pixels as it up-sizes. By comparing each image element to a database of patterns it can attempt to add more detail than simple upscaling would allow."

TristanW wrote:

To me, the key advantages will be the digital-zoom in video-recording + a bit longer battery-life.

ok, I wasn't aware of that one. Is that a new feature not found in A65?

EdwinB wrote:

I have the sony 42 flash with my A57 and no problems at all. No lag and overexposure at all

That could be another point. As a newer model, it would have fixed some of the bugs in A65 ...

So there are indeed some pluses to A57 .. it's not just one sided.

tbcass

KingDon wrote:

The theory is that that it's not simple resizing. "The theory is that it intelligently interpolates between pixels as it up-sizes. By comparing each image element to a database of patterns it can attempt to add more detail than simple upscaling would allow."

Actually that's what any good resizing algorithm does in post processing. Nothing special there. It's possible that the ones in a photo editor are better because they have more processing power to work with.

-- hide signature --
tbcass

KingDon wrote:

That could be another point. As a newer model, it would have fixed some of the bugs in A65 ...

The key is could . They haven't addressed the problem with a firmware update so it's possible the A57 will have the same problem. The fact is most A65 and 77 users do not seem to have the problem so it may not be an easy fix. Nobody was even reporting it until the cameras had been on the market for several months. We'll have to see what happens 6 months from now with the A57.

-- hide signature --
tbcass

PhotoCycler wrote:

Is the highest iso user adjustable? If not I prefer it stop at iso1600 but ideal would be to make it user adjustable as with the A77.

-- hide signature --

tbcass wrote:

PhotoCycler wrote:

Is the highest iso user adjustable? If not I prefer it stop at iso1600 but ideal would be to make it user adjustable as with the A77.

Not adjustable on the A57 either, its AutoISO is always capped at 3200.

KingDon wrote:

A new firmware hasn't resolved the problem for those that have experienced it, so I'm not too optimistic about the A57 having all of the flash problems resolved. I actually thought that might be the case when I bought the "new" KM 5D after the 7D had been out for a while, but it had the same serious problems as the 7D with its flash. The The A100 had at least some of the same flash problems.

PhotoCycler wrote:

A new firmware hasn't resolved the problem for those that have experienced it, so I'm not too optimistic about the A57 having all of the flash problems resolved. I actually thought that might be the case when I bought the "new" KM 5D after the 7D had been out for a while, but it had the same serious problems as the 7D with its flash. The The A100 had at least some of the same flash problems.

That is, amusing, the problem was firmware related.

Shield3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,440

A57: Better JPG engine? Never used the A65 so I don't know.

Smaller files on your hard drive, if you take a zillion pics like I do.

Video ISO can go up to 3200 on the A57 - is limited to ISO 1600 on the A65. This was a big deal for me since I shoot low light videos sometimes.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads