Former Micro 4/3 skeptic, E-M5 changes all that

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
TonyJuliano New Member • Posts: 14
Former Micro 4/3 skeptic, E-M5 changes all that

Well, I have used a Olympus EP-2 in the past and was decidedly unimpressed with Micro 4/3 as a result.

The new E-M5 has changed all that for me.

My quest was for the perfect travel rig, and I evaluated this against the Sony Nex7, Canon G1X anf Fuji X Pro 1 before the OLY won out.

Read all my thoughts on the subject here...

http://www.camerazealot.com/?p=988

firefox23508
firefox23508 Contributing Member • Posts: 787
Re: Former Micro 4/3 skeptic, E-M5 changes all that

Well, your essay was credible until I got half way through and you claim you wrote off the Sony NEX 7 because it needed an add-on external viewfinder like the EP-2. Hmmm ... did you ever see one?

Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869
Welcome to the club!

I am phasing out my DSLR now that I have the E-M5. Many here have done, or are doing the same thing.

OP TonyJuliano New Member • Posts: 14

Yes, this was an error on my part, I was writing from memory (as someone was kind enough to remind me via comments).

And yes, i shot every camera on that list before writing.

My real issues with the NEX were lens availability, and styling.

My posting has been corrected.

But really, are you making dispersion's about my credibility based on faulty memory?

Re: Welcome to the club!

If the high-ISO performance and IQ was as good as my DSLR stuff, then I would be too.

But, as good as the new unit is in regards to these 2 critical issues, it still does not come very my big, heavy Canon.

highwave Senior Member • Posts: 1,266

TonyJuliano wrote:

Yes, this was an error on my part, I was writing from memory (as someone was kind enough to remind me via comments).

And yes, i shot every camera on that list before writing.

My real issues with the NEX were lens availability, and styling.

My posting has been corrected.

But really, are you making dispersion's about my credibility based on faulty memory?

I think he did, and I would too. What else could you have forgotten if you forgot the built in EVF of an NEX7? Sorry credibility does take a nosedive after this regardless. What else could you have forgotten too?

And what do you mean by using the word "dispersion" in your last sentence? and why did you put a comma before the "s"?

I don't mean to put you down. Thanks for the review but really.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
PapaRappa Forum Member • Posts: 64

To be fair, I don't think it's uncalled for. I can't tell you how many camera reviews I've completely written off because the reviewer makes a mistake about a feature or setting on the camera. It's very off putting when someone who's supposed to be "reviewing" the camera doesn't properly know it.

In your case, you say it was a mistake and you've corrected it but I hope you can understand how your "thoughts" could be tainted by having bad info about other cameras. It does make it seem like you never truly handled those other cameras and actually your review doesn't state that you have, did you handle those other cameras?

TonyJuliano wrote:

-- hide signature --

PapaRappa

PapaRappa's gear list:PapaRappa's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +2 more

I'm not a "reviewer", and I'm sure I went out of my way to state that in my post. My BLOG is not a camera review site, which I also made abundantly clear. My only intention was to give my personal rational for making the choice I did.

And yes, as stated, I handled every one of those cameras prior to receiving my E-M5.

You will also note that I made every effort possible to not criticize any of the others in consideration. They are all great cameras, and that is why each and every one was being evaluated before my final choice was made. None of these cameras are perfect, all are outstanding in their own ways (I feel I also made that abundantly clear).

I tend to write in bursts, sometimes "jumping" back and forth, as opposed to a more linear flow. I wrote this particular piece, after many months of trying even more models than I had mentioned. The down-side is this is that I lost track of my thoughts (as we all do), confusing a feature (or more precisely, the lack thereof) of one model with many others in my search.

In the end, I was trying to convey the rational for making the choice I did. Given my requirements, I feel that this choice was correct.

How about giving up some constructive reasons why you don't agree with my thoughts. This would be a great service to anyone looking through here, as opposed to the continued harping on an innocent oversight that has already been swiftly rectified.

Unfortunately, some people (and it seems as though their are many on this particular board) construe any disagreement with their own particular view as an affront to their manhood, or "calling their baby ugly", as it may be known.

In the end, I hope that others may benefit from the exhaustive search I did in order to rectify my problem. This was, and still is, my only wish.

TORN Senior Member • Posts: 1,481

I am pretty much in the same boat. I still keep (most of) my Canon gear but now I have the E-M5 after checking out the Fuji and Sony (and very short the Canon) to compliment it for street and travel.

• The Fuji drove me nuts with its AF and handling/firmware quirks just like the X100 did before. The high praised hybrid viewfinder tries to be both but fails equally to be a good rangefinder or a good EVF and ends up as a weird mix. Finally I have no legacy lenses to put on it. This cameras from Fuji are just not for me.

• The Nex-7 fails when it comes to lens selection. Rangefinder lenses up to 50mm seem to struggle a lot on it (other than on the Nex-5N), most old DSLR lenses I have access to were not good enough for the sensor and the Sony lenses are not worth to mention except for the expensive 24mm and the somehow too short 50mm. Indeed I prefer the Nex-7 design pretty much over the E-M5, especially with some Zeiss or Leica adapted on it. Too bad that they do not work well together...

• Canon: What do I need an expensive, big and clunky camera with a big sensor for if it does not allow more creative photography with its slow lens than an LX-5?

The E-M5 might not be totally up to the image quality of the Fuji or a Nex-5N (had too much trouble finding a lens setup making perfect use of the Nex-7 and ISO > 400 is not better anyway) but it allows an easy approach to taking pictures and with its light, small, fast lenses, qick AF, touchscreen and stabilisation it delivers every time I use it on the streets.

Really a pretty sweet addition to a Canon setup.

TORN's gear list:TORN's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
PapaRappa Forum Member • Posts: 64
All we're saying...

...is that you lose credibility when you make mistakes like you made. That's the "constructive" criticism. I actually DO NOT disagree with you as I bought a E-M5 as well after looking at the NEX-7, GH2, GX1, Fuji X-Pro 1 and Nikon 1 system.

You can take or leave the advice. It's free, man.

TonyJuliano wrote:

I'm not a "reviewer", and I'm sure I went out of my way to state that in my post. My BLOG is not a camera review site, which I also made abundantly clear. My only intention was to give my personal rational for making the choice I did.

And yes, as stated, I handled every one of those cameras prior to receiving my E-M5.

You will also note that I made every effort possible to not criticize any of the others in consideration. They are all great cameras, and that is why each and every one was being evaluated before my final choice was made. None of these cameras are perfect, all are outstanding in their own ways (I feel I also made that abundantly clear).

I tend to write in bursts, sometimes "jumping" back and forth, as opposed to a more linear flow. I wrote this particular piece, after many months of trying even more models than I had mentioned. The down-side is this is that I lost track of my thoughts (as we all do), confusing a feature (or more precisely, the lack thereof) of one model with many others in my search.

In the end, I was trying to convey the rational for making the choice I did. Given my requirements, I feel that this choice was correct.

How about giving up some constructive reasons why you don't agree with my thoughts. This would be a great service to anyone looking through here, as opposed to the continued harping on an innocent oversight that has already been swiftly rectified.

Unfortunately, some people (and it seems as though their are many on this particular board) construe any disagreement with their own particular view as an affront to their manhood, or "calling their baby ugly", as it may be known.

In the end, I hope that others may benefit from the exhaustive search I did in order to rectify my problem. This was, and still is, my only wish.

-- hide signature --

PapaRappa

PapaRappa's gear list:PapaRappa's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +2 more

I agree, on all counts - except one.

I found the Fuji viewfinder much to my liking. But I definitely can see where it would not appeal to everyone.

Bart Hickman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256
What EM-5 kit do you go out traveling with?

You mentioned that your Canon rig is too big to take with you on the go. I'm curious what EM-5 kit you take with you on the go and what your comparable-but-too-bulky Canon kit consists of.

Thanks,
Bart
--
http://bhimages.zenfolio.com

Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
TORN Senior Member • Posts: 1,481
Re: What EM-5 kit do you go out traveling with?

I use as my maximum reduced travel kit 5D, 17-40, Voigtländer 40mm 2.0 and 85mm 1.8.

On the E-M5 it is 7-14, 20, 45.

While the 17-40 is more versatile for allround photography than the 7-14 it does not go that wide.

While the 40mm can smooth the background more than the 20mm it is manual focus only.

Well, the 85 just blows away the 45mm which is by no means bad.

Now comes the plus side for the E-M5. Its all stabilized. I regularly use the tilt/touch screen, it easily can be thrown into any sling bag while the 5D still requires a dedicated photo bag and if I want to go total easy I leave the 7-14 for the 14mm.

I do not see my 5D going on vacation in the near future. But it will stay for those situations where it can do what the E-M5 can't do. 35L and 85L to name some.

TORN's gear list:TORN's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
DarkShift Regular Member • Posts: 252

I don't think EF 85/1.8 is very spectacular at wide apertures.

The problem for me is its limited close focus distance. Zuiko 45mm gives higher magnification without extension rings as it focuses much closer.

DarkShift's gear list:DarkShift's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon D850 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +13 more

My standard 5D travel kit used to consist of:

5D MK II Body
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
EF 24mm f/1.4L USM
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro

It has been replaced with the following...

OM-D E-M5 Body
M.ZUIKO 12-50mm F3.5-6.3
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm F2.0
LUMIX G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm F1.8

Even if I leave the enormous EF 24-105mm out of the equation, there is absolutely no comparison.

I travel via motorcycle - and space counts for a lot.

I've just posted a follow up to my previous post here...

http://www.camerazealot.com/?p=1003

Had a lot more time to spend with the E-M5, and I'm hooked.

thx1138
thx1138 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,156
Re: Welcome to the club!

I just bought a E-M5 (nice camera), but won't ever be selling my DLSR gear. I always like to check what people are shooting with when I'm out an about, and in the last 2 years I've seen maybe 3 people with a CS camera; 99.9% DLSR users for IL cameras. Reports of the death of DSLR are greatly exaggerated.

Just Having Fun wrote:

I am phasing out my DSLR now that I have the E-M5. Many here have done, or are doing the same thing.

grantham Regular Member • Posts: 386

Hi there!
Glad that you no longer is a skeptic ,But I'm afraid you have created

a new skeptic, based on your writings I am now very skeptic of anything written about Cameras.
73 de ken

grantham's gear list:grantham's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700
agray88 Regular Member • Posts: 309

TonyJuliano wrote:

It has been replaced with the following...

OM-D E-M5 Body
M.ZUIKO 12-50mm F3.5-6.3
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm F2.0
LUMIX G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm F1.8

Even if I leave the enormous EF 24-105mm out of the equation, there is absolutely no comparison.

I travel via motorcycle - and space counts for a lot.

Nice kit! I especially like the Buell XB12STT. What it lacks in optics, it makes up for it in torque. As for my kit (as soon my damn E-M5 cones in, that is)

E-M5 body
M.Zuiko 12-50mm
M.Zuiko 40-150mm
Oly FL-300R Flash
M.Zuiko 45mm F1.8
2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600

Really looking forward to getting on the road with the E-M5. Granted, mine is not a dual purpose bike, but it'll get the job done.

agray88's gear list:agray88's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
MichaelKJ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466

And what do you mean by using the word "dispersion" in your last sentence? and why did you put a comma before the "s"?
I don't mean to put you down. Thanks for the review but really.

He obviously meant disparage instead of dispersion --give the guy a break.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads