And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
Joel Stern
OP Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925
Re: aman Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

aman74 wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

aman74 wrote:

I don't think anyone was wondering and your vague post with only question marks doesn't help any.

Thank you. You are pretty new here, yes, no?

No, you can look at the date I joined, but either way I'm not so wrapped up in internet forums to track whether or not people were wondering where you were or not. I feel if you're going to make a post it should make sense on it's own.

I see you're an expert at making posts that don't make much sense. Did you have a point in asking me if I was new here? It would have been much more helpful to just explain your OP. As it stands it makes zero sense without whatever backstory there apparently is.

Either way, it came across as self-important.

Since I am such an expert of making non sensible threads then that explains why I have never seen your id before. Thank you for your kind words.

Joel Stern
OP Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925
iaredatsun Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

iaredatsun wrote:
Joel,

I can't say too much but I stopped visiting this forum regularly a long time ago. I have my GRD and my GR1 and I have long stopped thinking about a new Ricoh but drop by occasionally to see any news.

With regards Ratty's comment here – I agree that some camera forums here attract a fair amount of vitriol and the Ricoh has on the whole been fortunate to escape that. It is usually a nicer group of enthusiasts to be found in this forum, to be sure.

With regards your feelings, though. Others here have complained about the lack of comments on their photos before you. Mitch famously left when his work came under criticism and then found a special rangefinder forum where people could talk more about photography. The fact is when real critiques come along , you have to accept the rough with the smooth.

But I say this – these forums are camera forums. People on these forums are, on the whole, more interesting or comfortable in discussing technology than they are the 'art' of photography.

I'm afraid that cameras are the lowest common denominator in the art of photography – there really is only so much you can say about a black computer-box with a lens on it before the sun sets on the subject;)

I'd advise that you find a specialist website/forum where people discuss photography and not cameras.

Having said that, the biggest place for photos is flickr and no one says anything constructive about photos there! I think that the internet somehow resists useful discussion on the arts.

Have you the ability to find courses and real world contact with photography enthusiasts?

All the best with your back.

regards

El Datsun

Joel Stern wrote:

??????

El, thanks for your thoughtful post. I think I will take the advise of our friend AndrewTee and visit serious compacts, it may surprise me and put a smile on my face. While I do want to talk gear, I also want to post images and even if they are not technically great, as Bart said, he was happy that I have shown him parts of my life in my photos.... It is nice to know others are not just looking at your photos but have something to say. I stopped adding comments on many photos as the posters simply never commented on mine, maybe that was childish, maybe not....the world does indeed take all kinds as do forums. Thanks again.

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 34,904
Rumours of the FF mount ...

iaredatsun wrote:
Joel,

I can't say too much but I stopped visiting this forum regularly a long time ago. I have my GRD and my GR1 and I have long stopped thinking about a new Ricoh but drop by occasionally to see any news.

With regards Ratty's comment here – I agree that some camera forums here attract a fair amount of vitriol and the Ricoh has on the whole been fortunate to escape that. It is usually a nicer group of enthusiasts to be found in this forum, to be sure.

With regards your feelings, though. Others here have complained about the lack of comments on their photos before you. Mitch famously left when his work came under criticism and then found a special rangefinder forum where people could talk more about photography. The fact is when real critiques come along , you have to accept the rough with the smooth.

But I say this – these forums are camera forums. People on these forums are, on the whole, more interesting or comfortable in discussing technology than they are the 'art' of photography.

I'm afraid that cameras are the lowest common denominator in the art of photography – there really is only so much you can say about a black computer-box with a lens on it before the sun sets on the subject;)

I'd advise that you find a specialist website/forum where people discuss photography and not cameras.

Having said that, the biggest place for photos is flickr and no one says anything constructive about photos there! I think that the internet somehow resists useful discussion on the arts.

Have you the ability to find courses and real world contact with photography enthusiasts?

All the best with your back.

regards

El Datsun

Joel Stern wrote:

??????

Well said,

Everyone has their own style of posting and Joel's is Joel's just as mch as mine is mine.

We have different ideas and I tend to use ten words when one is often enough. I tend to happily try and explain something I have just worked out as if no one else has ever thought of it. But I generally like to farm these ideas out rather than leave the rest of the Ricoh users who have not worked it out themself have the joy of doing so (or the simple bliss of not knowing).

Joel is more of a friend on the forum and therefore best understood as that.

Meanwhile posting images is always a vexed subject - in essence there are some who follow good images and others who like posting them. But is is more on whether you post to preen and are able to accept criticism gracefully, or post to educate in which case you need to understand that others might not be interested, or post to ask advice - there are usually helpful replies.

It is not a good forum for posting images as much as others might disagree. Post away but the forum is never more dead when all the posts are about images. Without posts of images the current forum threads would cease to exist.

I think that posting images is a valuable part of the Ricoh forum but only perhaps a rather small part. What it really is about is discussing new product and technique. No new insights found and no new product in the offing and the threads die away.

This thread seems to be the only one currently not dealing with someone's images (valuable as they are) right at the moment.

Meanwhile gentle criticism of Joel's post is fair comment and anyone daring to do this does not need to be attacked for it in any way. Or regarded as "a stranger".

Release the 40mm A16 prime module or a 40mm equivalent GRDIV and we are off with the racehorses again.

Methinks reliable news of a Ricoh FF A24 mount would choke dpreview's server. (joking)

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Joel Stern
OP Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925
Tom Re: Rumours of the FF mount ...

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

??????

Well said,

Everyone has their own style of posting and Joel's is Joel's just as mch as mine is mine.

We have different ideas and I tend to use ten words when one is often enough. I tend to happily try and explain something I have just worked out as if no one else has ever thought of it. But I generally like to farm these ideas out rather than leave the rest of the Ricoh users who have not worked it out themself have the joy of doing so (or the simple bliss of not knowing).

Joel is more of a friend on the forum and therefore best understood as that.

Meanwhile posting images is always a vexed subject - in essence there are some who follow good images and others who like posting them. But is is more on whether you post to preen and are able to accept criticism gracefully, or post to educate in which case you need to understand that others might not be interested, or post to ask advice - there are usually helpful replies.

It is not a good forum for posting images as much as others might disagree. Post away but the forum is never more dead when all the posts are about images. Without posts of images the current forum threads would cease to exist.

I think that posting images is a valuable part of the Ricoh forum but only perhaps a rather small part. What it really is about is discussing new product and technique. No new insights found and no new product in the offing and the threads die away.

This thread seems to be the only one currently not dealing with someone's images (valuable as they are) right at the moment.

Meanwhile gentle criticism of Joel's post is fair comment and anyone daring to do this does not need to be attacked for it in any way. Or regarded as "a stranger".

Release the 40mm A16 prime module or a 40mm equivalent GRDIV and we are off with the racehorses again.

Methinks reliable news of a Ricoh FF A24 mount would choke dpreview's server. (joking)

Thank you Tom

Andrewteee Senior Member • Posts: 2,905
Re: aman Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

Some of us have been around here for a long while and have known Joel and his work and his thoughts. Indeed, he does come and go and after a while we begin to wonder. Some of us value his presence. It's a small forum and you get to know people. Perhaps you should try that.

 Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Ricoh GR Digital IV Leica Q Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +1 more
Joel Stern
OP Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925
Andrew Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

Andrewteee wrote:

Some of us have been around here for a long while and have known Joel and his work and his thoughts. Indeed, he does come and go and after a while we begin to wonder. Some of us value his presence. It's a small forum and you get to know people. Perhaps you should try that.

Thank you. I will try to visit more. I suspect once I have my next surgery I will be looking a lot more. I am on a drug for nerve pain which allows me to sit a bit more now so I have been looking more, and even getting a snap now and then.

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,127
Re: Andrew Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

Joel Stern wrote:

Andrewteee wrote:

Some of us have been around here for a long while and have known Joel and his work and his thoughts. Indeed, he does come and go and after a while we begin to wonder. Some of us value his presence. It's a small forum and you get to know people. Perhaps you should try that.

Thank you. I will try to visit more. I suspect once I have my next surgery I will be looking a lot more. I am on a drug for nerve pain which allows me to sit a bit more now so I have been looking more, and even getting a snap now and then.

Hello Joel

Well, I hope the recovery after surgery will be as painless and smooth as possible.
Please keep us posted

Harold

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II +22 more
Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 34,904
Re: Andrew Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

Harold66 wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

Andrewteee wrote:

Some of us have been around here for a long while and have known Joel and his work and his thoughts. Indeed, he does come and go and after a while we begin to wonder. Some of us value his presence. It's a small forum and you get to know people. Perhaps you should try that.

Thank you. I will try to visit more. I suspect once I have my next surgery I will be looking a lot more. I am on a drug for nerve pain which allows me to sit a bit more now so I have been looking more, and even getting a snap now and then.

Hello Joel

Well, I hope the recovery after surgery will be as painless and smooth as possible.
Please keep us posted

Harold

I guess we are an extension of your family Joel, keep posting.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW Senior Member • Posts: 1,805
Re: iaredatsun Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

Joel,

i made an account on serious compacts as result of this topic, of course it does not feel the same as DPR and i'm willing to give it a try for some time.

It does not have as much posts or frequency as DPR, bit similar to Ricohforum if you ask me.

FLickr than has toooo much posts for my likes, and the comments barely go any further than LIKE.

DPR is a bit like home, the base to start with, by now i have made accounts on a few smaller blogs, works for me, one poster and you can comment or share idea's.

Its great that you stirring in the pot made more people post and comment, i appreciate all, all people are different and this reflects in their posts, a good discussion needs some swearing now and than, and unlike other forums, here the swearing seems to rapidly die after one or two posts, we are too polite for this world i fear.

Bart

 BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6 HTC Windows Phone 8X
Joel Stern
OP Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925
Re: iaredatsun Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

Joel,

i made an account on serious compacts as result of this topic, of course it does not feel the same as DPR and i'm willing to give it a try for some time.

It does not have as much posts or frequency as DPR, bit similar to Ricohforum if you ask me.

FLickr than has toooo much posts for my likes, and the comments barely go any further than LIKE.

DPR is a bit like home, the base to start with, by now i have made accounts on a few smaller blogs, works for me, one poster and you can comment or share idea's.

Its great that you stirring in the pot made more people post and comment, i appreciate all, all people are different and this reflects in their posts, a good discussion needs some swearing now and than, and unlike other forums, here the swearing seems to rapidly die after one or two posts, we are too polite for this world i fear.

Bart

Bart, this does feel like home, you are right, even with all of the regulars that have wondered off...thanks for the reminder of serious compacts, I think I have an account, need to check it.. And yes, we do seem to be more polite for the most part than other forums, except now and then..... I cannot stay away now that I an sit a bit and type here at my desktop, buy my new iPad and laptop offer me no excuses anymore.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads