And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
anthony mazzeri Senior Member • Posts: 2,057
Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

Archiver wrote:

If you think the Ricoh forum is slow, you should drop by the Casio forum some time.

At least the Casio forum was all one type of camera. The Ricoh forum is sudivided further into a cross section of users from the CX to the GX to the GRD to the GXR. And even then the GXR users are divided again into either the P10 or S10, or the A12 modules which are again different shooters to Leica lens owners with the Mount A12.

Take the Mount A12 specifically. Tom posts about using Canon and Jupiter SLR lenses with it, and myself and others post about using Nikon lenses, which doesn't really interest those who bought it purely to use rangefinder lenses.

We're a very small and very eclectic bunch who probably don't even actually have the same type of Ricoh camera as the next person, let alone take the same kind of pictures that would interest them. It's hard to comment on pictures which aren't really up your own alley, for instance a street shot will mostly have other street shooters commenting and that's all. The rest of us look but don't really have anything to say or input part from 'nice pic' if we like it. And even then 'nice pic' is probably worse than not commenting at all as it can sound like you've got nothing else better to say about the pic, which is probaby because it's true.

For example, the candid snap of the CX user probably doesn't interest the more 'serious' Leica lens owner, and likewise while the B&W street photography of complete strangers by GRD users isn't really my thing I fully understand my own macro and pet portraiture doesn't appeal to them in turn either. The most clear indication I've had of this divide is my winning a DPR Challenge which is a difficult thing to actually do, and so I thought would be an appreciated by all Ricoh owners as a feather in the cap of the Ricoch GXR lensor (the A12 28mm) - but not a single reply. Like I said, the subject matter probably just doesn't interest anyone else as being just another 'cat pic'. So Joel, if you're upset at only getting a few replies, try actually winning a Challenge and getting none at all, this is what it a truly lonley thread looks like:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&thread=41013967

Anyway, a good solution to this problem is to actually celebrate it instead - I thought a good idea for gathering this disparate cross-collection of Ricoh cameras and photographic interests was when Harold did the 'pic of the year' thread, which I tried to emulate with a 'pic of the month' thread. This allows people to post their best pic of any camera-grade or photography-interest in a thread where they know others will see it but without worry about not receiving comments about it. People can still comment on the ones that appeal to them if they want, ie "great street shot" comments from other street shooter and so forth.

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 35,162
Re: This is why ...

Joel Stern wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

hwchiu wrote:

you are too busy taking photographs........

The truth is with the exception of 3 or 4 friends nobody has any comments....so why bother anymore. Maybe the forum is just a quiet one but this seems even more stange than usual.

I agree Joel,

Lots of people ask for photographs to be posted but few comment on them.

When they receive comments they are usally "nice pic" when they are not liked they are ignored. So it is not a "photo exhibition" site even though you can do this.

In truth when there is no new fantasy product to speculate about and discuss, or no new actual product release it all boils down to a few query/answer sessions, some desultory image posting and an argument or two about other products usually not being made by Ricoh.

Even the lens talk is more about a quite limited number German or Japanese sourced lenses that are used.

Occasionally there is something new and we get a bit of debate, but controversial debate no matter how civilly carried out is not well regarded. However if we all agree on everything precisely it gets kid of boring.

Soometimes I drop a clanger in to stir the pot, but we need a few more outrageous posters to get the juices flowing. Or Ricoh could simply announce a few new products ...

The no comments makes me nuts, makes me feel like my pics must be terrible. But if I like something I post it. With pride I posted some pics of my daughters graduation, Bart let me know he has seen them. He did not comment on their technical merits as I was not expecting that, but it was nice to see that for him I am a living and breathing person. Maybe I am just cranky knowing I will have to undergo a second, more aggressive back surgery, maybe I am just cranky and maybe I am just frustrated, I do not know.

Keep your spirits up Joel, my photographs met with surprise from Rube, a slash or two which were fair comment and something I can handle, and nothing much else.

I presume 1) that my images are not up to the hallowed level 2) that I am a burr under the saddle and 3) that I should use more German or Voigtlander sourced lenses of the RF type to be accepted.

I agree that German and Voigtlander lenses perform well, possibly the very best. But there are others and if I am crazy enough to buy and pass on the craziness for others to read about then I do so willingly and expect no feedback.

I am into photography for the fun of it, I pretend no special skill and my little pile of oddball lenses looks more and more like a lens museum than a serious photographer's toolkit.

So enjoy your cameras, I appreciate your words and if you don't see immediate feedback then understand that a lot more lurk and listen than ever post on the forum.

Might be like talking to yourself sometimes ....

Hope your operation is successful and is not too stressful.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

anthony mazzeri wrote:

Archiver wrote:

If you think the Ricoh forum is slow, you should drop by the Casio forum some time.

At least the Casio forum was all one type of camera. The Ricoh forum is sudivided further into a cross section of users from the CX to the GX to the GRD to the GXR. And even then the GXR users are divided again into either the P10 or S10, or the A12 modules which are again different shooters to Leica lens owners with the Mount A12.

Take the Mount A12 specifically. Tom posts about using Canon and Jupiter SLR lenses with it, and myself and others post about using Nikon lenses, which doesn't really interest those who bought it purely to use rangefinder lenses.

We're a very small and very eclectic bunch who probably don't even actually have the same type of Ricoh camera as the next person, let alone take the same kind of pictures that would interest them. It's hard to comment on pictures which aren't really up your own alley, for instance a street shot will mostly have other street shooters commenting and that's all. The rest of us look but don't really have anything to say or input part from 'nice pic' if we like it. And even then 'nice pic' is probably worse than not commenting at all as it can sound like you've got nothing else better to say about the pic, which is probaby because it's true.

For example, the candid snap of the CX user probably doesn't interest the more 'serious' Leica lens owner, and likewise while the B&W street photography of complete strangers by GRD users isn't really my thing I fully understand my own macro and pet portraiture doesn't appeal to them in turn either. The most clear indication I've had of this divide is my winning a DPR Challenge which is a difficult thing to actually do, and so I thought would be an appreciated by all Ricoh owners as a feather in the cap of the Ricoch GXR lensor (the A12 28mm) - but not a single reply. Like I said, the subject matter probably just doesn't interest anyone else as being just another 'cat pic'. So Joel, if you're upset at only getting a few replies, try actually winning a Challenge and getting none at all, this is what it a truly lonley thread looks like:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&thread=41013967

Anyway, a good solution to this problem is to actually celebrate it instead - I thought a good idea for gathering this disparate cross-collection of Ricoh cameras and photographic interests was when Harold did the 'pic of the year' thread, which I tried to emulate with a 'pic of the month' thread. This allows people to post their best pic of any camera-grade or photography-interest in a thread where they know others will see it but without worry about not receiving comments about it. People can still comment on the ones that appeal to them if they want, ie "great street shot" comments from other street shooter and so forth.

A very thoughtful post Anthony and so true.

Joel just acknowledged this with his aside about A12 users.

You have also clearly focused my mind on something I half realised - that the GXR-M is such a versatile piece of equipment that you can almost make it the camera you precisely want it to be. Consequently I am quite out on my own travels with experimentation in my lenses whilst others simply want to take images with the most assured and compact lenses available. The minds will surely not meet when we are running quite separate agendas.

That is the beauty of the GXR and I have not even mentioned the completely separate characters of the zoom modules versus the more technical prime lens modules. All have their place but advocates of one sub-section may have no more than a passing interest in any of the others.

Take heart Joel, keep up your posting, you are doing all right on this thread.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,471
Good insights

Anthony,
I like all your comments.

anthony mazzeri wrote:

We're a very small and very eclectic bunch who probably don't even actually have the same type of Ricoh camera as the next person, let alone take the same kind of pictures that would interest them. It's hard to comment on pictures which aren't really up your own alley...

When I see a striking photo, I try to take time to comment, even if it isn't my special interest area, but that isn't really the answer. There are some photos I take, for example which have almost no subject matter appeal, but I caught some lighting or a textural detail that I thought was exceptional. I think the secret, in cases like that, is to tell the viewer in plain language what you were after and why you posted such a pointless picture. So part of building the dialogue is to start the converssation.

For example, the candid snap of the CX user probably doesn't interest the more 'serious' Leica lens owner

I "resemble" that remark! I use a CX1 and I'm not a snapshooter. In addition, I post-process all my photos so they are indistinguishable from those taken with a Leica lens. (Do I need 2 faces for that remark?).

I fully understand my own macro and pet portraiture doesn't appeal to them in turn either. The most clear indication I've had of this divide is my winning a DPR Challenge which is a difficult thing to actually do, and so I thought would be an appreciated by all Ricoh owners as a feather in the cap of the Ricoch GXR lensor (the A12 28mm) - but not a single reply. Like I said, the subject matter probably just doesn't interest anyone else as being just another 'cat pic'.

I missed your winning picture, but I loved the dog portrait you posted earlier -- sent the link to my wife. I have taken some prize-winning pictures of our dogs too, but nothing to compare to yours.

I like the "pic-of-the" threads, but it's usually just the OP who comments -- others seem to see it as a one-way street. Worth doing, though.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW Senior Member • Posts: 1,806
Re: Good insights

Harold, Darrel,

seems you both have the idea about "pic of the" over here,

its time to stop talking about it and finally do it, so,

i challenge you to repond to my next topic

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6 HTC Windows Phone 8X
anthony mazzeri Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

Harold, Darrel,

seems you both have the idea about "pic of the" over here,

its time to stop talking about it and finally do it, so,

i challenge you to repond to my next topic

Oop, not Harold, but I just posted the new thread before seeing your reply here..

Fantastic Anthony, i wil repond with some pics.

Bart

thanks Joel

schaki Senior Member • Posts: 2,306
Another one to look elswhere.

I'm another one to sometimes look elsewhere. Not because of lack of comments, or this section being slow. But because of Ricoh with their unwillingness to offer real NR off in their compacts. I've no real interest whatsoever in GRDIII, IV or the PX etc.

Unfortunately the golden era of low NR which included Ricoh compacts like, R3, R4, GRDI, Caplio GX, GX8 and also the 500G/SE, are now way since long past.

GRDI, 500SE and 400G wide are some true gems in their own respectively ways and not going to leave my setup of compacts. But the rest, like G700, GX100, R2 and maybe also the Pro G3 willl be leaving.

GX100 have been claimed like a good jpeg-camera and the last old-school Ricoh with low NR, but that turned out not to be quite true according to my findings.

Default sharpening is way too bad with lot of artifacts and not quite what it should be even when it is set to -2 so that's another mostly raw-only compact, like the GRDII.

I'll keep a watching eye as well as keep posting and this is definitely not some sort of 'Goodbye-post' by me. I'll likely just post less because of less interest in the newer compacts from Ricoh.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Re: Another one to look elswhere.

The dng file specification for its metadata has a default category for the noise suppression characteristics of the sensor (presumably supplied by the sensor manufacturer). Perhaps this is a "fiddle with it at your own risk" category as far as Ricoh is concerned.

Maybe some technical boffin can show us truly what a sample raw file really does look like before metadata is processed? I am interested, so might be many others.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Joel Stern
OP Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,926
Re: This is why ...

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

hwchiu wrote:

you are too busy taking photographs........

The truth is with the exception of 3 or 4 friends nobody has any comments....so why bother anymore. Maybe the forum is just a quiet one but this seems even more stange than usual.

I agree Joel,

Lots of people ask for photographs to be posted but few comment on them.

When they receive comments they are usally "nice pic" when they are not liked they are ignored. So it is not a "photo exhibition" site even though you can do this.

In truth when there is no new fantasy product to speculate about and discuss, or no new actual product release it all boils down to a few query/answer sessions, some desultory image posting and an argument or two about other products usually not being made by Ricoh.

Even the lens talk is more about a quite limited number German or Japanese sourced lenses that are used.

Occasionally there is something new and we get a bit of debate, but controversial debate no matter how civilly carried out is not well regarded. However if we all agree on everything precisely it gets kid of boring.

Soometimes I drop a clanger in to stir the pot, but we need a few more outrageous posters to get the juices flowing. Or Ricoh could simply announce a few new products ...

The no comments makes me nuts, makes me feel like my pics must be terrible. But if I like something I post it. With pride I posted some pics of my daughters graduation, Bart let me know he has seen them. He did not comment on their technical merits as I was not expecting that, but it was nice to see that for him I am a living and breathing person. Maybe I am just cranky knowing I will have to undergo a second, more aggressive back surgery, maybe I am just cranky and maybe I am just frustrated, I do not know.

Keep your spirits up Joel, my photographs met with surprise from Rube, a slash or two which were fair comment and something I can handle, and nothing much else.

I presume 1) that my images are not up to the hallowed level 2) that I am a burr under the saddle and 3) that I should use more German or Voigtlander sourced lenses of the RF type to be accepted.

I agree that German and Voigtlander lenses perform well, possibly the very best. But there are others and if I am crazy enough to buy and pass on the craziness for others to read about then I do so willingly and expect no feedback.

I am into photography for the fun of it, I pretend no special skill and my little pile of oddball lenses looks more and more like a lens museum than a serious photographer's toolkit.

So enjoy your cameras, I appreciate your words and if you don't see immediate feedback then understand that a lot more lurk and listen than ever post on the forum.

Might be like talking to yourself sometimes ....

Hope your operation is successful and is not too stressful.

Yes Tom, I will enjoy them....that is the most important...I have made some very good friends on this forum and a few others, that is a nice thing.

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,808

There used to be a posting rule that stated, "Unless it's discussion of a specific technique or setup please do not post "here's my latest picture / gallery" type posts in the camera specific forums, instead please use the Samples & Galleries forum."

That language is no longer used, though there remains the similar, if less helpful, "Please do not litter the hardware related forums with galleries - post them in the Samples and Galleries or photo technique forums instead."

I think that when it comes to posting pictures in a hardware forum, people will have more to comment on if the post includes the "specific technique or setup" type of information the posting rules used to ask for; for example, camera and lens settings, camera supports used, metering technique, bracketing, was post-processing required, other angles or focal lengths that didn't work as well, or anything else pertinent or unique to getting the result you are displaying. If it's an automated point-and-shoot shot, that's interesting to know, too, provided we can see the what options/settings the camera chose for itself. Maybe there's something a person doesn't like about the results they get in certain shooting conditions, and they're wondering how others may have solved the issue.

I think people come to a hardware forum to learn to get more from their equipment, or, if they're shopping, to see how the available features of different camera models might help them take better pictures than they could get with the equipment they have now. A picture displayed with no information about how it was achieved may be interesting to look at, but if it doesn't relate to how to use a particular Ricoh camera or feature, there doesn't seem to be much to comment about.

rube39 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,244

jrtrent wrote:

A picture displayed with no information about how it was achieved may be interesting to look at, but if it doesn't relate to how to use a particular Ricoh camera or feature, there doesn't seem to be much to comment about.

Except of course when a model or camera type comes out, then all kinds of people ask to see photos, so that they can judge how the new gears actually works in practice. The GXR zoom, for example.

rube39 wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

A picture displayed with no information about how it was achieved may be interesting to look at, but if it doesn't relate to how to use a particular Ricoh camera or feature, there doesn't seem to be much to comment about.

Except of course when a model or camera type comes out, then all kinds of people ask to see photos, so that they can judge how the new gears actually works in practice. The GXR zoom, for example.

I agree with both sentiments, it is not really a photo-gallery site but more an exchange of knowledge site.

BTW what happened to the A16 aps-c zoom module? All the talky talk has gone quiet. So many out there just enjoying it and using it?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

R we missing the point here?

Joel mentioned that if some one posts a picture, hardly anybody makes an effort to comment.

It was not about a tech forum, or a picture forum, it was about when someone spends time to upload and post a pic, we are too lazy to respond.

Lets be honoust, if you click on a pic thread, you can also click on the reply button almost just as fast.

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,808

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

Joel mentioned that if some one posts a picture, hardly anybody makes an effort to comment.

I didn't think I missed the point. My post above was an attempt to address that specific issue and provide a possible reason why people don't have much to say about a post that includes just a picture with no commentary/questions about how the hardware in use affected its capture.

FFF Regular Member • Posts: 352

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

It was not about a tech forum, or a picture forum, it was about when someone spends time to upload and post a pic, we are too lazy to respond.

hmm.

a) i don't see uploading as providing even a implicit claim on other readers to react

b) there are enough times, where one simply has nothing substantial to comment. - "nice" or even "lousy" is IMHO not worth posting, at least not at a hardware forum

c) i often don't fell qualified to criticise

d) while we see here sometimes stunning pics, there are enough of no special interest (apart for the poster) - so IMHO prior to posting one should do some thinking about why this one pic should be of interest for the forum - after all, this is not Facebook. BTW, it wouldn't hurt if the poster explains about the technical "why and hows" used, to help educate readers like me.

No offense meant...
Karl

FF and djrtrent,

thanks for your feedback,

i will try to include some tech details when i post another pic,

i too like to see that just to try to imitate pics myself in trying to learn.

What do you mean by the poster finds his pics great, are you telling me that the rest of the world is not blown away with my stunning pics?

Dave N ! Contributing Member • Posts: 632
Ricoh forum

First time for ages I have looked at this forum and was quite surprised as to how slow it has become. I was a regular contributer to the Casio forum as I too had (still have) a Casio Z750. We had some amazing discussions and as stated earlier, people coming up with new 'scene stttings/modes', re-programming etc etc and offering excellent advice and getting the most of the 'Zed' range of cameras.

I went to a Fuji F70EXR to improve my reach and enjoyed messing around with the EXR settings and again their were plenty of contributers sharing their experiences.

I then went down the Pentax dSLR K-R route and bought a load of old lenses taking pictures of the moon and helping friends at various weddings/christenings and the like. Then I moved to the Sony NEX-5 as I wanted the same quality as my K-R but not the bulk and then bought an adaptor to fix my Pentax lenses to it. Reliving my manual focus/exposure days with my first 35mm SLR.

On eBay I bought a CX1 very cheaply and 'discovered' what a great 'photographic' tool it is to use. I sold it and with proceeds upgraded to a CX5 for no more money! I then realised that here in the UK eBayers don't appreciate Ricoh cameras such that I have now bought a 2 month old CX6 that someone advertised as a Richo C6 and I paid £75! With it's fantastic LCD and at long last manual controls I have my most favorite compact camera to date. At A4 size (which is as large as my printer will print and my wife will allow me to put on a wall!) it provides enough quality for me.

So with my four cameras I have one for any occasion. My Casio Z750 is with me all the time. My Ricoh CX6 clipped around my waist on day trips when I don't want to be bogged down with weighty equipment. My NEX 5 for holidays and travelling. The Pentax K-R for 'serious' ocassions and when I think I have to be abit more 'professional.

The point of my post is perhaps to ask you guys now we've gone through the megapixel race, we all experimented to death with many cameras over the years since digital hit the scene and maybe we have got all the features we need or could wish for and with such a wide range of equipment out there that there is very little to add or say anymore. I believe we have reached a plateau. I personally don't have a wish list anymore. I craved a high resolution 3" LCD screen when I peered at a 1.5". I prayed for a ten times optical zoom when all I had was 2 times digital! I wanted 28mm wide angle when all I had was 38mm. I wanted 6 fps when all I had was one every 3 seconds. I needed optical image stabilisation and I wanted to be able to print larger than 6x4. Batteries that can last all day. Happy days!

So what else do we want. I'm contented but what about you? What do you want in the next 5 years or so?

Cheers
Dave N! PS. Sorry if this bored anyone!

FFF Regular Member • Posts: 352

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW,

What do you mean by the poster finds his pics great, are you telling me that the rest of the world is not blown away with my stunning pics?

[grin]

To put it straight, i didn't say the poster finds his pic great, but that it is of special interest to him personallly. There are pics which memorize special moments in your personal life, which are of value in themselves, but usually not for an outsider...

BTW, usually i envy you for your shots, admiring the eye and the technique - e.g. i have a S10, too, but wouldn't dare to compare my shots with yours... lastly this beautiful toy barn, great - or the leaves after the rain, why won't i get that out of mine? Must be defective - question is, tool or shooter

Karl

jrtrent wrote:

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

I didn't think I missed the point. My post above was an attempt to address that specific issue and provide a possible reason why people don't have much to say about a post that includes just a picture with no commentary/questions about how the hardware in use affected its capture.

I agree, there are many more picture takers than picture viewers. Getting the click on the image is the point. I think there are those who post on every subject (such as myself - slap) and those who browse both words and images (lurk) and never post on anything unless they see it as particularly important.

I have a substantial gallery on Flickr, I guess it represents my better published work but I have half a dozen comments over many years. Flickr is a no-nonsense gallery image site. So on a post versus hit rate the dpreview forum fares much better even though I too see it as a show for technical purposes forum rather than display and preen with best-work only.

Most photograph threads start here by announcing the lens that is being used. The poster wants to show what he or she has achieved using a particular lens or camera. So I might suggest that they are demonstrating a particular lenses capability more than showing their own work specifically. Surely after you have fouund the best camera (GXR-M) then you simply wish to put the best lens for the purpose on it.

I took a good series of lenses on a trip recently more as a voyage of lens discovery myself than because I liked the baggage. I have posted some up here to show what an average sort of user can get from a variety of lenses on the GXR with A12 mount. So if they are average then they are averagely consistent. Perhaps you don't need such great expensive lenses after all - just a great photographer wielding the camera? (grin)

I will have to make sure I get one up from the GR 28mm f2.8, if only because it is fairly rare in the field of Voigtlanders and Zeiss incomparables.

Lest I seem biased I do have two Voigtlander RF lenses myself (grin).

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads