PL1 picture - Is Lens distortion much?i

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
emad1973 New Member • Posts: 8
PL1 picture - Is Lens distortion much?i

I wonder this ammount of distortion is natural for this lens?

MatW Senior Member • Posts: 1,470
Perspective distortion

This is not lens but perspective distortion. You might want to look the term up in Wiki or so, it happens with all lenses and gets more pronounced as you use wider lenses.

emad1973 wrote:

MatW's gear list:MatW's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,221
that is call "Perspective Distortion", not lens problem

That is not the lens fault. What you're looking at is called Perspective Distortion . Since the bottom of the church is closer to you, it appear larger; while the top of the church that is further away from you becomes smaller.

Lens doesn't correct for this. You can, however, invest in a software program like pt-lens that correct for optical distortion. Lens distortion are different, they have to do with either Barrel, Pin Cushion, or Mustache . See Wikipedia here:

Lens Distortion:

Perspective Distortion

emad1973 wrote:

OP emad1973 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: that is call "Perspective Distortion", not lens problem

Thanks mat and Peter for the help. BTW its the UNiversity of Otago building in New Zealand.
Cheers

Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,652
Re: that is call "Perspective Distortion", not lens problem

emad1973 wrote:

Thanks mat and Peter for the help. BTW its the UNiversity of Otago building in New Zealand.
Cheers

Nice building

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
tinternaut Veteran Member • Posts: 7,555
Re: Getting perspective right can be tough

An eye level finder helps but a tripod with a built in level is your best bet.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +13 more
RonFrank
RonFrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,130
Distortion.

If your sensor plane is not parallel to the building face you get distortion. You can correct for this by holding the camera even with the building but this may result in cropping off the top of the building and/or including more foreground than is desirable.

| | makes for even buildings.
\ | Makes for buildings with a yaw. / \ vs | |

Keeping your sensor parallel to the building face is desirable. This is where a large format camera comes in handy but they are not used much by amateurs.
--
RonFrank
http://ronfrankweb.weebly.com/index.html

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads