OMD/Oly 45mm portrait-athon

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,876
OMD/Oly 45mm portrait-athon

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,768
Re: OMD/Oly 45mm portrait-athon

They look great in black and white, seem like antiques pictures

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +12 more
BungHole Contributing Member • Posts: 650

Some nice work there and good subject matter.

BungHole's gear list:BungHole's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +9 more
Steven Wandy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,508

I agree great subject matter. Did you consider making some of them with a sepia tone - might look more like an old time shot.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Sony RX100 V Canon PowerShot SX730 HS Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 5,172

Great portrets, every one of them is quite a character. This is one of those rare cases when B/W is very appropriate.

venice Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

Really nice.

Every one exudes character.

-Bill

OdzBodkinz Senior Member • Posts: 1,438

Nicely done. What lens did you use?
--
Money can't buy happiness....It has to be converted into photo equipment first.

jacquelyn Regular Member • Posts: 138

subject line says 45mm

My question is which re-enactment location?

reggieandtfe Regular Member • Posts: 238

I think the titles tips that one off...

OdzBodkinz wrote:

Nicely done. What lens did you use?
--
Money can't buy happiness....It has to be converted into photo equipment first.

Steve_
OP Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,876
A stab at 'antique' w/sepia tone

Thanks, Aleo. Here's a more direct attempt at an 'antique' appearance:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Steve_
re-enactors rock :)

Thank you, Sir. I love shooting portraits of re-enactors. They expect to get their pictures taken and you find a lot of amazing faces and dress.

Steve_

I took your suggestion and tried sepia-tone, along with film grain an vignetting via LR4. You can see the result in my response to Aleo's comment above.

Steve_
Thanks!

I generally only do portrait stuff at re-enactments or other events where people dress historically. They expect the attention, and you run into amazing outfits most often worn by unusual individuals.

Steve_
Thanks, Bill

I really appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.

Steve_

Olympus Micro 45/1.8. Most were shot at f2.0-2.8. I had too much light in most cases for f1.8, even at ISO200. I could have actually used a weak ND filter.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

jacquelyn Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: Thanks!

Where were these taken?

Steve_

jacquelyn wrote:

My question is which re-enactment location?

These were taken yesterday at an anual re-enactment at the Ramsey House, located in Knoxville, TN.

http://www.ramseyhouse.org/

I shot this even a few years back and the turnout was much larger than this year's. But even so I got these shots and another 14 good portraits. I tried to be a bit selective in what I posted.

I also got a lot of good wide-angle shots with the Panny 14mm and some decent, although not overwhelminginly good, action shots from the re-enactment itself. The re-enactment was much larger and easier to shoot the last time I went (and I had a longer lens than the Oly 40-150 I used this time).

Steve_
Re: Thanks!

jacquelyn,

Please see my response to your original comment for the event details.

Thanks for looking!

Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,728
Really nice work, Steve

Do you have any post processing software dedicated to B&W? I can imagine many possibilities for adjusting the tonality and grain etc.

Well done, and thanks for sharing.

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Steve_
Re: Really nice work, Steve

Brian Mosley wrote:

Do you have any post processing software dedicated to B&W? I can imagine many possibilities for adjusting the tonality and grain etc.

These are my first forays into B&W. The were all processed in LR4. I just chose the B&W rather than color option, and then tweaked exposure, contrast, highlight, and shadow in an attempt to improve the results. I would love some tips; it sounds like you are a more experienced with B&W.

I did try a sepia-toned version, and tried out the LR4 grain and post-crop vignetting tools. Again, any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Well done, and thanks for sharing.
Brian

Thanks, Brian. I'm glad you looked and commented.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads