V1 - worth buying?

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
Wayne N. Veteran Member • Posts: 9,986
Re: V1 - worth buying?

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Seriously, for wide shots I try to avoid the V1, and use my K-5, or NEX-5N (its panorama is perfect), so for my light kit, I bring my NEX-5N, with a Sigma 19, plus the V1 (with the 30-110), and often the above mentioned 70-300 VR.

Why do you avoid the V1 for wide shots? Simply because you have other (better) options? Or is there something else you are concerned about? (just curious, because I have no qualms about using the V1 for wide shots)

olyflyer wrote:

The V1 changed my ways of photography in one way, which is that I shoot much more video now. As a matter of fact, I even started to like the mode switch for the ease of switching between video and still images.

My V1 wants me to take more videos, because every time I take it out of the bag, the dial has switched to video mode

On my last trip, finished just a few days ago, I shoot a lot of video with the V1 even though I had a camcorder with me as well. I think it is very convenient and the video as well as the sound quality is excellent. The VR and the AF is so silent that it cannot be heard even if the internal mike is used unlike the D300s, which is extremely noisy so it is useless with the built in mike.

Seriously though, the V1 is awesome for videos. I really have to keep that in mind and use it for videos more often.

Cheers,

Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,270

Wayne N. wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Seriously, for wide shots I try to avoid the V1, and use my K-5, or NEX-5N (its panorama is perfect), so for my light kit, I bring my NEX-5N, with a Sigma 19, plus the V1 (with the 30-110), and often the above mentioned 70-300 VR.

Why do you avoid the V1 for wide shots? Simply because you have other (better) options? Or is there something else you are concerned about? (just curious, because I have no qualms about using the V1 for wide shots)

I think he means that the widest you can have is 28mm equivalent with the Nikon 1. For APS cameras you have everything between 180 degree fisheye and whatever you might need or wish for. 28mm is not very wide and in fact, even my 24mm equivalent is considerably wider in real life than the 28mm equivalent of the N1.

olyflyer wrote:

The V1 changed my ways of photography in one way, which is that I shoot much more video now. As a matter of fact, I even started to like the mode switch for the ease of switching between video and still images.

My V1 wants me to take more videos, because every time I take it out of the bag, the dial has switched to video mode

During my last trip I have accidentally taken 4 images, not noticed immediately that the camera was set to video. I may have forgotten to check or accidentally switched, I don't know, but I am not bothered about it. Normally I check when I switch it on.

On my last trip, finished just a few days ago, I shoot a lot of video with the V1 even though I had a camcorder with me as well. I think it is very convenient and the video as well as the sound quality is excellent. The VR and the AF is so silent that it cannot be heard even if the internal mike is used unlike the D300s, which is extremely noisy so it is useless with the built in mike.

Seriously though, the V1 is awesome for videos. I really have to keep that in mind and use it for videos more often.

Yes, the quality is excellent. I have never been interested in video but actually the V1 introduced me to it even though I have had a camcorder the last 20 years, not often used them. I have a digital full HD camcorder now but that is also not used often because I like still images more. Maybe that will change now with the V1 and will end up doing a lot of video as well in the future.

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,564

olyflyer wrote:

Yes, facts are facts. I don't know about the J1, but the V1 is better than any Oly mirrorless if you shoot raw. Maybe not if you use it as a P&S and only JPEG OOC, but in general, I think the V1 is better values for money than any Olympus camera. I found all Oly to be poor in AF and the lenses are less than great and definitely worse than the N1 dual zoom. Yes, the sensor is larger, but what good does it do if you can't use it above ISO800? The N1 is usable without any problems even higher. Anyway, the optional Oly EVF makes the camera huge. With lenses equivalent with the 10-30 and the 30-110 the Oly kit is also quite large.

The wife's OM-D has an amazing AF, faster and more exact than the V1's, to my sorrow!

And the OM-D's sensor works very well at ISO 3200, where the V1 starts to struggle. In very dim light the excellent anti-shake of the OM-D shows that it is quite a bit better than that in the V1's lenses (the 10 has no anti-shake, by the way).

To avoid fuzzy pictures with the V1 in low light, change to S, instead of Auto, or A! 1/60 sec is a good setting, unless you're a very steady lad ;-)! With the wider lenses (10 & 10-30) you can lower the exposure time further.

Both the OM-D and the V1 are amazingly capable, compared to what similar cameras managed just a few years back. Earlier PENs (including E-P3) used an old style sensor, thus were pretty bad in low light, while the closest comparable to the V1 I guess is the Pentax Q, which uses an even smaller sensor!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +23 more
olyflyer

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Yes, facts are facts. I don't know about the J1, but the V1 is better than any Oly mirrorless if you shoot raw. Maybe not if you use it as a P&S and only JPEG OOC, but in general, I think the V1 is better values for money than any Olympus camera. I found all Oly to be poor in AF and the lenses are less than great and definitely worse than the N1 dual zoom. Yes, the sensor is larger, but what good does it do if you can't use it above ISO800? The N1 is usable without any problems even higher. Anyway, the optional Oly EVF makes the camera huge. With lenses equivalent with the 10-30 and the 30-110 the Oly kit is also quite large.

The wife's OM-D has an amazing AF, faster and more exact than the V1's, to my sorrow!

And the OM-D's sensor works very well at ISO 3200, where the V1 starts to struggle. In very dim light the excellent anti-shake of the OM-D shows that it is quite a bit better than that in the V1's lenses (the 10 has no anti-shake, by the way).

Sorry, but after having had an E-3 for about two years I prefer lens based IS and not sensor shift. I find the VR of the V1 lenses I have excellent and need nothing better.

To avoid fuzzy pictures with the V1 in low light, change to S, instead of Auto, or A! 1/60 sec is a good setting, unless you're a very steady lad ;-)! With the wider lenses (10 & 10-30) you can lower the exposure time further.

Yes, if you feel that the V1 uses too low shutter speed S or M mode is the one to be used. Did you install the new firmware? Does it make any difference?

Both the OM-D and the V1 are amazingly capable, compared to what similar cameras managed just a few years back. Earlier PENs (including E-P3) used an old style sensor, thus were pretty bad in low light, while the closest comparable to the V1 I guess is the Pentax Q, which uses an even smaller sensor!

Yes, I am pretty sure that the OMD is also very nice. What I dislike about it is the extremely loud shutter and the feeling of the shutter smashing the side. I don't know if the shutter moves sideways but it certainly feels like it does. It feels as it is as loud as my D300s though I did not use them side by side. One thing is sure, the V1 is much quieter even with the mechanical shutter. I don't know about the Pentax Q and I am not very interested in even smaller sensors. The DOF is already painfully deep with the V1 so I don't want a smaller sensor camera.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,308

olyflyer wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Yes, facts are facts. I don't know about the J1, but the V1 is [Nonsense]

Sorry, but after having had an E-3 for about two years I prefer lens based IS and not sensor shift. I find the VR of the V1 lenses I have excellent and need nothing better.

[ Sorry to butt in here Tord... ]

The problem with lens-based IS is that it you don't always have it! Two of the five Nikon 1 lenses announced so far do not have IS/VR. On the OM-D, with its in-camera system, Tord's wife has IS on every lens she attaches.

As an aside, the E-3 dates from 2007 so is pretty irrelevant as a comparison, and the new 5-axis IS in the OM-D is very significantly improved over all previous Olympus cameras (as I'm sure you know).

Yes, if you feel that the V1 uses too low shutter speed S or M mode is the one to be used. Did you install the new firmware? Does it make any difference?

Yes, I am pretty sure that the OMD is also very nice. What I dislike about it is the extremely loud shutter and the feeling of the shutter smashing the side. I don't know if the shutter moves sideways but it certainly feels like it does. It feels as it is as loud as my D300s though I did not use them side by side. One thing is sure, the V1 is much quieter even with the mechanical shutter.

"Extremely loud"? "Shutter smashing"? I think the OM-D camera you were using must have been broken - or you are making a huge exaggeration. But yes, from memory the V1 shutter is a little quieter than the OM-D. I'm sure Tord could test it for us...

I don't know about the Pentax Q and I am not very interested in even smaller sensors. The DOF is already painfully deep with the V1 so I don't want a smaller sensor camera.

Agreed on the DOF issue... Nikon desperately need to release some fast lenses.

I might pick up a Pentax Q for fun though if the price ever drops to bargain levels...

olyflyer

Mouser wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

The problem with lens-based IS is that it you don't always have it! Two of the five Nikon 1 lenses announced so far do not have IS/VR. On the OM-D, with its in-camera system, Tord's wife has IS on every lens she attaches.

Well, that's hardly news for any Nikon user, but thanks for telling us. Remember that I had a camera which had that feature and sold it in favor of lens based VR, also spend a bucket of money on some lenses which don't have VR at all and I have not regretted one penny of it. This was not meant to be a sand pit discussion as you are trying to make it into, so neither I nor Tord care. We know all that very well.

As an aside, the E-3 dates from 2007 so is pretty irrelevant as a comparison, and the new 5-axis IS in the OM-D is very significantly improved over all previous Olympus cameras (as I'm sure you know).

Again, none of that is news but it is also well known that the IS is not always as one expects it. The OMD IS is a bit noisy, unlike the Nikon 1 VR, which is practically without a sound so the built im mike can be used without any problems with lens noise.

Yes, I am pretty sure that the OMD is also very nice. What I dislike about it is the extremely loud shutter and the feeling of the shutter smashing the side. I don't know if the shutter moves sideways but it certainly feels like it does. It feels as it is as loud as my D300s though I did not use them side by side. One thing is sure, the V1 is much quieter even with the mechanical shutter.

"Extremely loud"? "Shutter smashing"? I think the OM-D camera you were using must have been broken - or you are making a huge exaggeration.

Yes, well... if that's your impression then fine, but no, the camera I tested was not broken at all, but perhaps next time I make a sound recording to measure the level differences if I have enough time.

But yes, from memory the V1 shutter is a little quieter than the OM-D. I'm sure Tord could test it for us...

The V1 has electronic shutter as an alternative to mechanical, so while the mechanical shutter makes sound the electronic makes ZERO sound, so it is infinitely more quiet than the OMD. You can use the camera under any situation, even where you are expected to be silent. Tord is not really needed for this test, it's enough if you read the specs to realize that this is a fact.

I don't know about the Pentax Q and I am not very interested in even smaller sensors. The DOF is already painfully deep with the V1 so I don't want a smaller sensor camera.

I might pick up a Pentax Q for fun though if the price ever drops to bargain levels...

Not for me. I am happy with the D300s when I need narrow DOF.

batchelor22 Forum Member • Posts: 57

Just picked up a new V1 w 10-30 for $550. Hoping for the best, will do some extensive testing this weekend but impressed with shots that I have seen. Thanks for the many POV's.

batchelor22's gear list:batchelor22's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more

olyflyer wrote:

Mouser wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Well, that's hardly news for any Nikon user, but thanks for telling us. Remember that I had a camera which had that feature and sold it in favor of lens based VR, also spend a bucket of money on some lenses which don't have VR at all and I have not regretted one penny of it. This was not meant to be a sand pit discussion as you are trying to make it into, so neither I nor Tord care. We know all that very well.

Fair enough - you seemed to ignore that point when Tord mentioned that the Nikon 10mm has no VR.

Again, none of that is news but it is also well known that the IS is not always as one expects it. The OMD IS is a bit noisy, unlike the Nikon 1 VR, which is practically without a sound so the built im mike can be used without any problems with lens noise.

Nope. In movie mode on the OM-D there is zero IS noise... just like the V1.

"Extremely loud"? "Shutter smashing"? I think the OM-D camera you were using must have been broken - or you are making a huge exaggeration.

Yes, well... if that's your impression then fine, but no, the camera I tested was not broken at all, but perhaps next time I make a sound recording to measure the level differences if I have enough time.

But yes, from memory the V1 shutter is a little quieter than the OM-D. I'm sure Tord could test it for us...

The V1 has electronic shutter as an alternative to mechanical, so while the mechanical shutter makes sound the electronic makes ZERO sound, so it is infinitely more quiet than the OMD. You can use the camera under any situation, even where you are expected to be silent. Tord is not really needed for this test, it's enough if you read the specs to realize that this is a fact.

No need to read specs - I remember the electronic shutter and "F" button perfectly well. However, you were talking about the mechanical shutter ("the V1 is much quieter even with the mechanical shutter"). I agreed it is quieter, but the OM-D is hardly "shutter smashing".

Hmm... you don't want a fast lens for your V1 ?

olyflyer

Mouser wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Mouser wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Fair enough - you seemed to ignore that point when Tord mentioned that the Nikon 10mm has no VR.

I am not sure what you mean. It is a well known fact that the 10mm does not have VR, but in any case at that focal length it is hardly necessary IMHO. It is also a fact that Nikon has some primes without VR. I have a 35/1.8, 50/1.8 and 60/28 without VR and those are my most used lenses.

Sure, with the IS off and no AF. Or....?

No need to read specs - I remember the electronic shutter and "F" button perfectly well. However, you were talking about the mechanical shutter ("the V1 is much quieter even with the mechanical shutter"). I agreed it is quieter, but the OM-D is hardly "shutter smashing".

Hmm... you don't want a fast lens for your V1 ?

Of course I want them, I have said that many times that I'd be standing first in line if one of the right focal length becomes available. Never the less, the larger sensor will always provide better DOF control, so for portraits the APS-C or FX cameras are preferred. Even the FT/MT has far too small sensors for those kind of images.

olyflyer
About the shutter sound...

Mouser wrote:

Well, all depends on your expectations. The OMD compared with for example the or D7000 is very loud, so for me it is indeed "shutter smashing" even if you don't like the expression. I have not opened it to see how the shutter moves, but to me it felt like moving towards my left hand because the smash felt mostly there, but even in the right hand. The sound is almost the same as the E-3 was and in fact, even the D300s feels softer, better damped, even though that camera is also very noisy compared with the D7000. The V1 is considerably softer and quieter. I tested them in the same environment side by side, and like I said, the OMD was not broken.

D Lynch Senior Member • Posts: 2,965
Peter Thanks

Great post.

I'm looking. I did handle a V1 yesterday (Nikon 6/ Roman Numerals? ) with adapter and a 70-300VRII mounted. Wow, that's effectively a very long zoom.

My NEX5 is a stay-at-home camera except for night time walkarounds. I have 2 lense kit and tele-zoom.

It's great for landscapes and crowd scenes night and day (except for the noisy shutter.)

High ISO performance is great.

Finding/Framing/Shooting BIF and moving rug-rats, the NEX is severely challenged in my hands.

DaveL
Toronto

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000

[snip]

The OMD IS is a bit noisy, unlike the Nikon 1 VR, which is practically without a sound so the built im mike can be used without any problems with lens noise.

Sure, with the IS off and no AF. Or....?

With IS and AF both switched on .

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,564

Wayne N. wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

There are two reasons why I avoid the V1 for wide shots: First, and foremost, there isn't any really wide lens available, as yet, but seriously, the NEX-5N with the Sigma 19 (often with a Panasonic wide-angle attachment, making it a 15mm lens) is the one I normally use for wide shots as it is so very sharp, and practical with such a small lens on a small camera.

If the V1 had a panorama setting, I'd probably used that!
--
tord (at) mindless (dot) com

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +23 more
fotokeena Forum Member • Posts: 99

Jord, in a word; No.

HeavyDuty Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

fotokeena wrote:

Jord, in a word; No.

Troll much?

-- hide signature --
 HeavyDuty's gear list:HeavyDuty's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Fujifilm X100S Canon XC10 Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony RX10 III +67 more
Re: The Canon G1X Has Its Weakest Part Exactly Where The V1 Is At Its Strongest

jimr wrote:

The G1X has excellent DSLR like IQ, but its responsiveness is like an average pedestrian (much cheaper) p&s including its AF...

One area where N1 system really shines is flexibility especially when coupled with FT1 adapter and available lenses.

................................................................................................................................................

If flexibility is important, nothing out shines the SLR, at least for now. Also an adapter adds extra bulk to the package, not to mention added $$.

Since you already have the biggies, just get a "self-contained" el cheapo that appeals to you, forget about changing lenses, removing lens caps and fitting adapters...just focus on the "big picture", Click!

Heavyduty, can't take No for an answer?

The OP's question asks for an answer, no is my answer.

In my opinion, anyone that can't take no for an answer is less than "Regular duty" at best. Heavy duty would be boasting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads