V1 - worth buying?

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
Jord Regular Member • Posts: 241
V1 - worth buying?

I'm a Nikon user already but for pro level SLR's but wanted a small compact camera I can carry around on holiday ect. I currently use an Olympus XZ-1 with the optional viewfinder which is a lovely compact but I think I'd prefer a built in viewfinder and better low light - above 800 iso the Oly really struggles.

So has anyone got the good the bad and the ugly on the V1 - my main needs are portability - I've got a D4 and a D700 if I wanted to lug them about.

Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
Re: V1 - worth buying?

Jord wrote:

I'm a Nikon user already but for pro level SLR's but wanted a small compact camera I can carry around on holiday ect. I currently use an Olympus XZ-1 with the optional viewfinder which is a lovely compact but I think I'd prefer a built in viewfinder and better low light - above 800 iso the Oly really struggles.

So has anyone got the good the bad and the ugly on the V1 - my main needs are portability - I've got a D4 and a D700 if I wanted to lug them about.

Copied from an earlier reply. The links should be keep you out of trouble for a while.

The V1 looks interesting and thanks for all that info.Shall look at the reviews on that cam .. Do you own one ?

Yes. It's a definite keeper. I mentioned in another reply about its battery being large enough to not be a problem when using the SB-N5 flash. All of the lenses but one are quite small, and that's the 10-100mm lens designed especially for video use. Here's one comment from one of the reviews I've saved links for (a month's supply, copied below). "I've managed to shoot 1,000 images in a morning using the V1 with 300mm 2.8, and still had nearly 20% of battery charge available." Last (but not least) are links are to videos from The Camera Store (V1 vs G3 shootout) and two of SnapChick's videos, a V1 review and a V1 vs D3100 Death Match.

http://www.naturalart.ca/artist/fieldtests/fieldtest_NikonV1.html
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11666-11988

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/11/14/the-nikon-v1-camera-review-the-camera-i-expected-to-hate/

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/11/11/the-nikon-v1-video-overview-and-iso-test-impressive/
http://www.malcolmfarrowphotography.com/articles/nikon-v1-review.html

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2011/10/nikon-1-counterintuitive-crazy-and.html

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2011/12/nikon-series-one-10mm-100mm-kirk-review.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NIKONJ1/NIKONJ1A.HTM
http://mansurovs.com/nikon-1-v1-review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJifQVanYJk [V1 review]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFUvmN-Syr4 [V1 vs D3100]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MudtMJQUeUM [V1 vs G3]

astwood1285 Senior Member • Posts: 1,331
I have one and I'd say think carefully

I have one and I'd say think carefully, very carefully before buying one. It has its charms but the best images come only in a limited range of conditions and the lens selection is just awful at this time. I wouldn't buy one a second time I don't think.
YMMV
--
albion

astwood1285's gear list:astwood1285's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 6,654

I have gone to your website and blog and see that you are a talented, accomplished photographer. I would caution that you may be frustrated by the user interface and lack of direct control. On the other hand you, like many of us here, may come to terms with it and accept it for what it is. Outdoors in daylight there is little to fault and it is a speedy little thing. As light dims you have to learn its quirks and adjust. I suggest you search this relatively young forum and see what some of us have done with it and then decide if it's for you.
--
Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
jim yeats Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Re: I have one and I'd say think carefully

I have the V1 and for what you want it for it would be fine. However, there are some new options that I would have considered, and may have preferred, other than the V1. The new olympus om-d sure looks nice and the canon g1x, also. But, the V1 is very nice and worth a close look and surely new lenses will be available soon.

jim yeats's gear list:jim yeats's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-T100 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6
jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405
The Canon G1X Has Its Weakest Part Exactly Where The V1 Is At Its Strongest

The G1X has excellent DSLR like IQ, but its responsiveness is like an average pedestrian (much cheaper) p&s including its AF...

aChanceEncounter Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: The Canon G1X Has Its Weakest Part Exactly Where The V1 Is At Its Strongest

I have the V1 (since Christmas) and would say that you do have control, just not via knobs and dials.

I have done quite a bit of landscape with it when I didn't want to carry my d700 and glass.

Overall, happy with the lenses. Just keep in mind the limitations that the CX sensor size brings to the table.

While definately not the perfect solution, it works well enough for me for what I want from it - which is a lightweight, carry with me type camera.

It doesn't replace my d300 either.
--
Paul

vshin Regular Member • Posts: 255

I'm not aware of a smaller mirrorless compact with a built-in EVF. If you can be content to let the camera handle the settings, then there's really nothing better out there in its class.

AlbieSky Veteran Member • Posts: 3,338

I would not call either the J1 or V1 compact. I do get a bit jealous of the pocketable P&Ss.

AlbieSky's gear list:AlbieSky's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
myzel Senior Member • Posts: 2,075
Re: worth buying - if you know what you want

The V1 is not a camera for the back pocket of your jeans, but you can carry it around the whole day without noticing the weight on your shoulder.

It's not a dSLR, the image quality is better than a compact but not so good as a dSLR (especially a FX dSLR) - roughly the same image quality like a D40 just with a more pixels. If you want the best quality out of the V1 use a Raw.

It has a weak AA filter, moiré is a problem - on the positive side: the images are very detailed for a 10 mega pixel camera.

The good:

The V1 ist very good in full manual mode. Changing the shutter speed without looking is easy. Light is 2 EV lower than it was the last time you used the camera - 6x up on the little rocker while raising the V1 to the eye and your are ready to go.

Changing ISO is nice. You have to go to the menu, but you can do it while still looking "through" the EVF. The camera remembers the last used menu item and if the last thing was ISO you are there with one press of the menu button.

The bad:
The back doesn't look as nice as the front
No real flash available. No NCLS support. No lens selection.

The EVF (and the live view) doesn't show the exposure. You won't see the effect of an exposure adjustment before you hit OK and if the light is very low you won't see it after hitting OK.

The ugly:

The time it takes for the EVF to activate is to long. You have to wait or trick the camera to activate the EVF while moving the camera in front of your eye. A dedicated setting to keep the EVF on all the time would be very nice, but I guess that won't happen.

You can't turn off image review. The camera always shows the image you have taken for a short period of time. You have to move your finger from the trigger and then half press the shutter button again to see the live view before the auto image review is over. This is very annoying (for me).

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
Dongson
Dongson Junior Member • Posts: 31

Don't forget V/J1 can use your existing fast Nikon Lens, it's big, but really a big plus.
Sonny
Some pictures that I took last week:

Dongson's gear list:Dongson's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800
Dongson
Dongson Junior Member • Posts: 31

Sorry, forum not allow me to post link so I'll try to find another way later then.

Dongson's gear list:Dongson's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800
Andrewteee Senior Member • Posts: 2,935

I have one and I've really enjoyed it, but I'll probably sell it. It is a very good small sensor but still a small sensor. I'm using my Ricoh GXR A16 zoom instead. Not that much bigger and far better results. You might consider the Olympus E-M5 - I have not tried one but it is said to have very good higher ISO performance and it's not that big.

Still, I really enjoyed the V1. It just has limitations.

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Ricoh GR Digital IV Leica Q Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +1 more
OP Jord Regular Member • Posts: 241

Thank you everyone for your answers - like the reviews mixed would be a good word! I'll go down the local shop and have a look and play.

What i want is a smallish compact with a really good built in viewfinder and it seems this camera does not exist! Similar to the Olympus XZ-1 I already have but with the viewfinder built in. Maybe i should just stick with this and see what the market produces in a years time.

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 6,654

Jord wrote:

Thank you everyone for your answers - like the reviews mixed would be a good word! I'll go down the local shop and have a look and play.

What i want is a smallish compact with a really good built in viewfinder and it seems this camera does not exist! Similar to the Olympus XZ-1 I already have but with the viewfinder built in. Maybe i should just stick with this and see what the market produces in a years time.

For what it's worth the V1 viewfinder is quite good. It's the first EVF I've used that doesn't constantly remind me that it's not an OVF. It makes my old D50 look like a deep, dark tunnel.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,540
Re: The Canon G1X Has Its Weakest Part Exactly Where The V1 Is At Its Strongest

jimr wrote:

The G1X has excellent DSLR like IQ, but its responsiveness is like an average pedestrian (much cheaper) p&s including its AF...

One area where N1 system really shines is flexibility especially when coupled with FT1 adapter and available lenses.

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
JacquesBalthazar
JacquesBalthazar Contributing Member • Posts: 687

Jord wrote:

Yeah, nothing is perfect, they all have their quirks.

The V1 is one of the best compromises for me, but I did also purchase a Nex7 to gain that extra bit of IQ and low light ability, including access to a couple of excellent high aperture lenses. But that one is also a compromise as those lenses are bigger and the AF not nearly as snappy. When comes the time to grab one or the other to get out and hit the city, I am always hesitant. The V1 gives me much more of a smile, the Nex 7 gives me more confidence that if I get into a perfect opportunity I will get best possible IQ.

I have the feeling the Nikon 1 line has the potential to step up, but Nikon urgently needs to communicate its roadmap. The OM-D is also a small high quality alternative, but really displeases me in terms of ergonomy (very fiddly tiny buttons) and design (hate retro design).

JacquesBalthazar's gear list:JacquesBalthazar's gear list
Leica M10 Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM +19 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,590
Yes, the V1 is worth buying.

It's excellent for what you want to do with it and is better than ANY Olympus ever made, especially at ISO800 and above. It's small and light, much smaller and lighter than any similar camera if you regard the lenses as well. The VF is excellent, high resolution and very little lag and so is the LCD. Also the AF is exceptional, especially in good light. In less favorable conditions it is not worse than the other alternatives. You have all the controls you need but some needs the use of menu or more than one push, just like in the high end DSLRs.

I bought mine for the same purpose you are thinking about it and I have not regretted for a moment. If I could turn back the time I'd buy it even today. The OMD is not interesting since just like every other Olympus, it seems to have the banding problem at high ISO and a quite ugly high ISO noise pattern.

photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653
No. Nikon is the laughing stock with tiny sensor in same size as m4/3

m4/3 cameras with a sensor 6 times larger and a wide collection of FAST 1.4 and 1.8 primes are the same size, weight and cost.

Nikon is pathetic, the only motivation was not to compete with DSLR sales.

Now that Canon is coming Nikon should revamp the whole pathetic system 1 series.

Jord wrote:

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Apple iPhone X
sixtieshatter Regular Member • Posts: 101
Re: No. Nikon is the laughing stock with tiny sensor in same size as m4/3

photo perzon wrote:

m4/3 cameras with a sensor 6 times larger and a wide collection of FAST 1.4 and 1.8 > primes are the same size, weight and cost.
Nikon is pathetic, the only motivation was not to compete with DSLR sales.
Now that Canon is coming Nikon should revamp the whole pathetic system 1 series.

The MFT sensor has an area of 225 Sq mm against the 116 sq mm of the Nikon 1 CX sensor.
That means that the MFT sensor is just under twice the size of the CX sensor.

However, the Nikon sensor punches well above its size and is capable of producing excellent image quality.
I hope this helps.

http://frankclark.smugmug.com
--
Frank

sixtieshatter's gear list:sixtieshatter's gear list
Nikon 1 V3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads