Received and possibly returning ANOTHER D800

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
steddyman Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: Received and possibly returning ANOTHER D800

My suggestion would be to stop stealing all the D800 supply for yourself, then either:

1. Hold onto it until a true fix is made public by Nikon then send it back for repair. Just don't use the left sensor (don't think I've ever used it on my D700, just focus then recompose).

2. Send it in for service now. Many users reporting that with a sufficient description Nikon have fully fixed the problem.

There could be at least another 4 users on this forum with a camera if you had followed this advise from the start.
--
-------------------------------------------
Steddy
http://steddy.smugmug.com/

Art Jacks Senior Member • Posts: 2,971

To the OP, are the table top shots in your gallery the test target for your D800 AF performance assessments ?
--

A selection of my images can be found at http://www.photo-genesis.net follow the galleries link then select the Jacks gallery

Island Golfer
Island Golfer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,533

Are you kidding? With all these returns going back into Nikon, there will soon be a boatload of "refurbished" D800's for less cost than new-all of them fixed by Nikon factory tech's.
--
truview

Island Golfer's gear list:Island Golfer's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D810 Sony a6300 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +15 more
Martin Grecner Contributing Member • Posts: 520

zzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I'm surprised they have that much stock for you and are willing to keep accepting returns.

They might have a stock build from cameras people return to them.

Martin

tabloid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,002
But is is usable

With its focus problems, is the D800 still usable.
I dont shoot pictures at f1.4.
The widest that i go to would be about f5.6 (100 asa).
So would this problem affect me.

I suspect that the only time that it would affect me, is when i decide to sell the camera.

For those who are returning their cameras (regardless of make) because of some sort of fault...i personally would back their corner.

Read the Canon forums.....they have their problems as well.

Regards

stany buyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,957
Quite strong accusation...

Arretose wrote:

I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that have camera's that are not affected by this AF issue. Either they haven't checked, or are unaware.

This is a quite strong accusation, I could presume the same thing about your testing...

Based on the FACT that my D800s are autofocusing perfect, I am SURE that there is not a general AF issue.

My D800 and D800E autofocus perfect, better than any other Nikon I've used before.
I can imagine some don't like to read that...
Probably pictures with outer left/right AF points prove my statement:

After having had 2 D7000 bodies that backfocused severely and which turned out to focus perfectly after repair at Nikon Belgium-procirep, I'm convinced that the weak point of Nikon is QC though. Several threads on this forum where you can read that the D800 AF problem is solved after repair confirm this.

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info

I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second..

stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
ukat123 Contributing Member • Posts: 761

zzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I'm surprised they have that much stock for you and are willing to keep accepting returns.

yeah. LOL. You must be working close to their factory. A Canon rep perhaps?

If we were to believe your story, that would probably tell that all D800 have defective AF. But that is clearly not the case. So, perhaps the truth is somewhat different and you don't know what you are doing. I bet you shoot wide open lenses which have field curvature and you see softness that you could not see on a 12mp camera and you believe it is the AF module; you shoot improper targets under bad lighting conditions, you confuse softness due to vibrations with Af problem, etc, etc.

SergioSpain Contributing Member • Posts: 539

You could try going to an actual brick and mortar store, try it out beforehand and if it doesn't have the left focus point issue, buy it on the spot. How's that for a solution?

SergioSpain's gear list:SergioSpain's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +5 more
studio460
studio460 Contributing Member • Posts: 712

Holy sh!t--that girl is smokin' hot!

studio460

Arretose wrote:

Another D800 has arrived at my door today, and it also has left AF focus issues, like ALL of the others I have returned. I was hoping Nikon would have adjusted their production in order to fix this problem by now.

I had not one scintilla of guilt after returning my D800 for a full refund. Would you mind volunteering your serial number series of your latest returned body? Highest reported I've seen in the US is 3007XXXX. Mine was 3005XXXX. I'm hoping post-3008XXXX will be good, since I haven't seen that high a series reported here yet, and I'm expecting my D800e to arrive soon. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Cenk
Cenk Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

+1

Arretose wrote:

Another D800 has arrived at my door today, and it also has left AF focus issues, like ALL of the others I have returned.

I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that have camera's that are not affected by this AF issue. Either they haven't checked, or are unaware.

Chris
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crossphotography/

Cenk's gear list:Cenk's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS 70D +25 more
studio460

studio460 wrote:

Holy sh!t--that girl is smokin' hot!

I meant to say, "Holy smoke! That girl is sh!t-hot!"

sweetsonic Regular Member • Posts: 349

Cenk wrote:
+1

Arretose wrote:

Another D800 has arrived at my door today, and it also has left AF focus issues, like ALL of the others I have returned.

Chris
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crossphotography/

I think the AF discussion in this thread is just a red herring and the underlying purpose has been to further p!ss off Nikon users that have yet to see a D800 in person, much less have four (or more) delivered to them and sent back. The OP is clearly a celebrity of some kind. Hell if you can get em that easy, you should be selling them on eBay for 30% profit and get the D4.

I'm not bitter though...

studio460

sweetsonic wrote:

I'm not bitter though...

As soon as your local Best Buy's regional warehouse receives its Nikon shipments, you may perform an "OMS" in-store order. You'll have it within two days.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

Arretose wrote:

Or perhaps you are the problem. Easy solution. Get rid of the camera. Get your money back. Don't presume to tell the entire D800/E community that they can't recognize whether or not a camera is focusing properly. There are some pretty smart people using these cameras successfully. Do we listen to them, or do we listen to you? Easy choice for me.

I have no sympathy for you. You seem a bit anal, and I'm not convinced you know what you are doing. If you do, perhaps you should try a different camera.

u007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,681

zzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I'm sure they'll just be sealing the box back up and selling it to some other poor sucker on the waiting list.

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

stany buyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,957

BackInTheGame wrote:

Arretose wrote:

Or perhaps you are the problem.

Methink the same... ;), I would like to see his test chart and related results...

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info

I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second..

stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
Cenk
Cenk Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

+1

u007 wrote:

I'm sure they'll just be sealing the box back up and selling it to some other poor sucker on the waiting list.

Cenk's gear list:Cenk's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS 70D +25 more
Michael Otis
Michael Otis Forum Member • Posts: 61

I'm always surprised by how so many people go out an purchase new model releases and then complain about their camera having problems. Why not wait a few months till the bugs have been worked out, the reviews and field test done, and then buy the camera. Every new Nikon, Canon, Fugi , etc when first released have had some problems... just wait.
Magpie

Michael Otis's gear list:Michael Otis's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
OP Arretose Senior Member • Posts: 1,114

I'm not going to get into a debate over proper test technique. I have tried enough D800's and seen this issue in all of them. There is a problem, and it is not acceptable. I have returned all D800's. I'm happy with my D700, and it's too bad that the D800 didn't work out for me. Good luck to the rest of you dealing with this. I know what your going thru.

Dominique Dierick wrote:

That's a bunch of cameras to try out :(. Can you share the test images you obtained to see to what extend the different cameras were impacted by the issue? Did you use multiple lenses to test or one?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads