Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
Melbourne Park Senior Member • Posts: 2,683
Re: Another biased one

zxaar wrote:

sorry but k-5 also fits the jacket without lens. It is not that big. Try that.

In that case, so does my Canon 5DMKII.

And you can use those lenses on the OM-D, and manual ones focus better on the OM-D than they do on the K. And the OM-D's IBIS is better too.

Adpater costs money, if it were for free i am game. Add that to cost of system.

Nothings for free ... you are bull dusting. I did a search, first find was $15 for one: http://m43photo.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/pentax-pk-to-four-thirds-adapter.html

I have Pentax lenses too ... a fast 50mm prime amongst them. Tragically I had an excellent fish eye lens, that I had serviced (by a shop) and they sold it ... so they claimed ...

But the, the 50 mm is very soft except for in the centre.

Which 50mm you are talking about?? Only FA version lacks the contrast. Shoot 50mm F1.2 at f1.8 and compare it with 45mm at 1.8 the difference would not be much. Probably the F1.2 version might be sharper seeing that it is very usable at F1.2. Their takumar F1.4, F1.8 are also very good lenses and so is F2 version.

Its bigger than the 45mm F/1.8 lens,

FA version is not much bigger than 45mm F1.8 and so is takumar version. You are simply wrong here.

I have this lens:
SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50 6998071 ASAHI OPT. CO.. JAPAN

and lots of others!! And I sure know about K-5 and K-7 too.

which is sharp everywhere, and it doesn't auto focus. So I have purchased the 45 Olympus lens as well. Its a portrait type lens, and with the eye focus and tracking on, it will auto focus quickly and get great people shots.

Good for you but it does not make other lenses useless.

And another thing ... the legacy K lenses are designed for film. The light bounces all around the camera's sensor due to the glass being designed for light absorbing film.

Have been using them on cameras for years. Haven't noticed problems. Here is one shot in bright day light.

And when one comes down to teles - things will change further. And with teles, the crop factor becomes a bigger advantage to m43. And how about wide angle? What has the K got to match the 14-28mm (FF) width of the 7-14 zoom?

Pentax Q holds that advantage much much more than OMD do over APC cams.

You're not even right about the Pentax Q having that advantage - the sensor is too limiting. And you might not agree, but its smaller than a K-5. Its performance is quite inferior in several photographic areas, there are better choices out there, and if you really think its a good camera for comparing with a K-5, then I now understand what you're really on about - a silly defence of Pentax's so called small size.

I have several Pentax cameras, but the OM-D is a huge step onto a completely different development curve.

Melbourne Park's gear list:Melbourne Park's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Makinations
Makinations Veteran Member • Posts: 5,688
Just 'cause

Just 'cause..

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Andrewteee Senior Member • Posts: 2,992
Re: Images re-posted

Can you show us your real world pictures please, using your own photographic style. I'm honestly curious to see how they compare. Thanks.

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Leica Q Ricoh GR II Ricoh GR III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
Pete Berry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485

Andrewteee wrote:

Can you show us your real world pictures please, using your own photographic style. I'm honestly curious to see how they compare. Thanks.

http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/2779399177/albums

http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/2779399177/photos/

JustFred Senior Member • Posts: 1,532
Re: Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

But the EM-5 also looks like a DSLR.

Macx wrote:

The K-5 is an excellent camera. If I was going for a dslr it would be a top contender and honestly, I think it beats or is the equal to the E-M5 on almost all accounts. But it is bigger and heavier, and the lenses for it are bigger and heavier. Also, it is a dslr and it looks like one. For me, part of the appeal of the E-M5 is not having to be "that guy" who brings a dslr. I can take the camera without a grip and with a couple of primes without being conspicuous. And I can take the camera with the grip, flash gun and big zooms when I need to do that.

From an outside point of view, I think Pentax is doing the right things with their camera lines, and I'm a bit confused that they're not doing better in the marketplace than they are, but I must admit I've never done more than a few test shots with a Pentax camera, so maybe I've missed something.

JustFred's gear list:JustFred's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
MadsR Senior Member • Posts: 2,235

Well yes, the size is the main difference. Basically it is the winning point in m43 over any DSLR cameras.

You got a camera with little if any loss of image quality at half the size and half the weight of any DSLR in the market. The E-M5 also brings weathersealing to the market, putting yet another pin in the DSLR casket.

I also know people happy with their K-5 and it is a nice camera, especially since Pentax have some nice small pancake lenses.

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,564
Don't agree with your evidence at all.

Shot the EM5 and K-5 last weekend side to side on a back lit subject and the K-5 clearly had more shadow detail, tonal range and DR.

You have to use a real world subject and also a current version of the RAW converter. The EM5 does not match the DR, tonality and high ISO of the K-5.

(and I say this, not saying the EM5 is bad or such. I think the EM5 is pretty good).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Joe Ogiba
Joe Ogiba Veteran Member • Posts: 4,627
Re: K5 lenses are HUGE!

Pentax 50mm F1.4 on my K-01 vs GH2 :

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Samsung NX1 Sony a6300 +1 more
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: Don't agree with your evidence at all.

Raist3d wrote:

Shot the EM5 and K-5 last weekend side to side on a back lit subject and the K-5 clearly had more shadow detail, tonal range and DR.

You have to use a real world subject and also a current version of the RAW converter. The EM5 does not match the DR, tonality and high ISO of the K-5.

(and I say this, not saying the EM5 is bad or such. I think the EM5 is pretty good).

just like you said it had no better performance than GX1

really you could be right or wrong, but nobody should care for more than a second what you think...

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,876

I have the OMD, and have sold off most of my Pentax gear to a buddy that has the K5. He hasn't admitted it yet, but I think he is mightily enticed by my OMD after seeing the results it can produce. He is a fairly inexperienced photographer where I am a novice with 30 years of practice, so it isn't a totally fair comparison, however. The OMD does almost entirely erase the DR and ISO advantages his K5 demonstrates over my K20D, making it far easier for me to impress him.

This is really more about DSLR vs. MFT that it is about the particular bodies. The K5 has better ergonimics and controls, being much larger, and that Pentax understands there is no reason to demote ISO control options to a secondary status in the digital age. It also has an (excellent) optical viewfinder, and phase-detection AF. Of these, the phase-detection AF is often the make-or-break factor. If you want to shoot action, the contrast-detection AF of the OMD isn't much pumpkin. But also unerstand that Pentax is the gang that can't shoot straight where AF performance is concerned, so you really should be cross-shopping Canon or (most likley) Nikon DSLR alternatives.

In terms of IQ, there's little difference. Both the K5 and OMD have great sensors, and there are great lenses available for either. My feeling that the K5 has a slight advantage due to its larger sensor, but the difference could be termed slight.

The biggest deal for me is indeed the size. I can well carry and use either cameras, but its the size of the entire kit where MFT really shines. I have tiny bag, but can still fit my OMD, clip-on flash, FL300r, 14 and 20mm Panasonics, 45mm Oly, my VF2 viefinder, and a few filters, rubber hoods, memory cards and cables. If I move up to a just really small bag, I can also fit my 40-150 and 4/3s Oly 35 Macro with adaptor. It took a backpack to carry most of my Pentax system, and with my terrible back issues this doomed me to never having more than the lens on the camera and one more hanging from my belt with me, and even that was a bit clumsy depending on the size and weight of the second lens.

One other caveat about the Pentax. Although lucky users will swear this is not a factor, I found their lens-integrated focus motor designs (SDM) to be only a gerneration or two from reliable. It can break, break, and break again-but it least it's slow.
--
Olymus OM-D E-M5
Panasonic 14/2.5, 20/1.7
Olympus 45/1.8, 40-150

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,999
Pentax participants: This will make you happy!

It took me awhile to catch on, but after reading several of the comments in this thread from Pentax users who have come to the m4/3 forum to try and convince us that the K-5 and Pentax lenses are as small or smaller than the E-M5 and m4/3 lenses I now understand their thinking. As long as you ignore the actual body sizes by insisting that we pretend the cameras are 2-dimensional and weu only look at a front view and then further ignore the whole list of m4/3 AF lenses and further ignore the whole list of Pentax lenses and just cherry pick one or two MF Pentax lenses to compare to dissimilar m4/3 AF lenses with different apertures and different effective focal lengths then I can see their point. Therefore as a service to help prove their point I offer this wonderful comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.35,187.82,ha,t

This is the E-M5 with the largest m4/3 lens mounted. It has the AF Panasonic 100-300mm f4-5.6 OIS with an effective FL of 200-600mm. The K-5 has the 43mm f1.9 MF lens with an effective FL of 64mm. Clearly this is the most equivalent comparison that can be made. Why do I say that? Because it is the only type of comparison that fits the criteria of our visitors. LOL

If you want small then m4/3 is probably the way to go. The K-5 is very attractive and in some ways is preferable to me over the E-M5, but I much prefer the range of lenses that are fairly small that m4/3 has over the mostly much bigger lenses that Pentax/Sigma/Tamron have for the K-5. I also prefer to have AF lenses for AF cameras. For someone else it is certainly reasonable that they prefer a larger body with a very small number of small MF lenses. This has nothing to do with one being better than the other, but this bizarre argument that the K-5 and lenses are as small as the E-M5 is just weird.

If you want to go really small with no disagreements then those of you who have the K-5 should get yourself a Pentax Q and lenses. That is really small.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Bart Hickman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256
Re: Pentax participants: This will make you happy!

The OP didn't ask about size. For my part I was just trying to give possible answers as to why he might consider Pentax. I shoot Pentax, but I'm looking to switch brands.

Bart
--
http://bhimages.zenfolio.com

Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,291

I think the more important factor here, at least to me, is weight. None of these cameras fit in my jacket pocket anyway, and they don't need to. Especially when you equip the OMD with its best lenses: 45/1.8 and 12/2, it no longer stays in any pocket. It's the first thing I noticed when I got my XPro1, compared to my T2i + 50/1.8 kit, I'm not shedding any weight!

My conclusion after reading this thread is that with some (nice) lenses, the K5 is not heavier than the OMD with its best lenses.

K5:

• Larger sensor

• Better handling

• Better DR + slightly better ISO.

• OVF

OMD:

• Faster AF

• Smaller, most notably thinner.

• IBIS

• EVF

• Prettier

Both are great & comparably priced, make your pick. Or better yet, wait till Canon announces its CSC.

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,024

Henry Richardson wrote:

It took me awhile to catch on, but after reading several of the comments in this thread from Pentax users who have come to the m4/3 forum to try and convince us that the K-5 and Pentax lenses are as small or smaller than the E-M5 and m4/3 lenses I now understand their thinking. As long as you ignore the actual body sizes by insisting that we pretend the cameras are 2-dimensional and weu only look at a front view and then further ignore the whole list of m4/3 AF lenses and further ignore the whole list of Pentax lenses and just cherry pick one or two MF Pentax lenses to compare to dissimilar m4/3 AF lenses with different apertures and different effective focal lengths then I can see their point. Therefore as a service to help prove their point I offer this wonderful comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.35,187.82,ha,t

This is the E-M5 with the largest m4/3 lens mounted. It has the AF Panasonic 100-300mm f4-5.6 OIS with an effective FL of 200-600mm. The K-5 has the 43mm f1.9 MF lens with an effective FL of 64mm. Clearly this is the most equivalent comparison that can be made. Why do I say that? Because it is the only type of comparison that fits the criteria of our visitors. LOL

If you want small then m4/3 is probably the way to go. The K-5 is very attractive and in some ways is preferable to me over the E-M5, but I much prefer the range of lenses that are fairly small that m4/3 has over the mostly much bigger lenses that Pentax/Sigma/Tamron have for the K-5. I also prefer to have AF lenses for AF cameras. For someone else it is certainly reasonable that they prefer a larger body with a very small number of small MF lenses. This has nothing to do with one being better than the other, but this bizarre argument that the K-5 and lenses are as small as the E-M5 is just weird.

The Pentax lenses do have AF. Photozone about the 43 1.9 you mention:

"The lens has no internal AF motor and relies on a slotted drive screw operated by the camera. As a result AF operation will generate a moderate degree of noise. The AF speed is very fast on the K10D."

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/125-pentax-smc-fa-43mm-f19-limited-review--test-report

Nobody, at least not me, has claimed that the K5 system is a s small as the OM-D. Just asking for a little less misleading body/lens comparsions. Here is one:
http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.33,187.235,ha,t

If you want to go really small with no disagreements then those of you who have the K-5 should get yourself a Pentax Q and lenses. That is really small.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Franka T.L. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,148
Or the other way round

Enough is being said on the many previous post, and in the end its not as simple as just one is better than the others. since there is not one single quantity that are being compared. What OM-D might excel over the K-5 ( or any other made and model ) there is also another area that its the other way round.

So ultimately its whether those advantage out weight the disadvantage enough to made it worthwhile or whether the limitation post a hurdle that's too much to summit. And in the end does the setup deliver the required result ..

-- hide signature --

• Franka -

MaxIso Contributing Member • Posts: 621

Pete Berry wrote:

Andrewteee wrote:

nice pics but they dont look near as sharp as the k5 pics i have seen. i do like a lot of things about the e-m5, specifically cdaf. i know most of the world is obsessed with pdaf, but im more about accuracy than tracking a bullet. nice pics tho, good luck.

Leo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,294
not only Pentax K-5 ....

OMD is even better than the new Nikon D800 - every OM-D owner knows it

It is ligheter - number one and smaller number two. The rest is up to your imagination
Leo

Leo's gear list:Leo's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR
Pete Berry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485

MaxIso wrote:

Pete Berry wrote:

Andrewteee wrote:

nice pics but they dont look near as sharp as the k5 pics i have seen. i do like a lot of things about the e-m5, specifically cdaf. i know most of the world is obsessed with pdaf, but im more about accuracy than tracking a bullet. nice pics tho, good luck.

Thanks. I can assure you the 13x19 and 17x22 prints I've made from many of them are sharp, and I'd be glad to show 100% crops of a couple you pick and would like to see closer.

The Bodie set interiors, of course, were shot through the old glass windows, and were further diffused for effect.

Pete

john m flores
john m flores Regular Member • Posts: 212

I've got one foot in the Micro Four-Thirds world and one foot in the Pentax world. Until the OM-D, the top M43 body (GH2) lagged behind the the Pentax bodies (K-5, K-01, and even K-x) in terms of ISO and more importantly dynamic range. It was a big noticeable difference I briefly played around with my brother's OM-D and the gap is surely closing.

Regarding lenses, after taking thousands of photos with each of them, I'd rank them as follows:

Primes
1. Pentax DA70/F2.4
1. (tie) Pentax DA35/F2.8 Macro Limited
3. Olympus 45/1.8
3. (tie) Pentax DA21/F3.2
5. Panasonic 20/1.7
6. Super Takumar 50/1.4
7. Pentax M50/1.7
8. Panasonic 14/2.5

I haven't used the PanLeica 25/1.4 or the Olympus 12/2, but I imagine that they are right up there.

Zooms
Pentax DA* 50-135/F2.8
Pentax DA* 16-50/F2.8
Panasonic 100-300/F4.0-5.6
Panasonic 14-140/F4.0-5.8

The Panasonic zooms are optically very good, but slow. The Pentax DA* 50-135 is optically as good as a fistfull of primes. AF is slowish though.

At the end of the day, they are both very good, mature systems. I've have photos published from both and my publisher didn't care what was shot with what. For me, the decision to shoot with one over the other has as much to do with other factors - size, focal lengths and apertures required, AF speed, burst speed, video, weatherproofing, ISO, etc... - as it does IQ.

If you can't take a nice photo with either system, it's probably an operator error, and no amount of 100% crop pixel peeping is going to make you a better photographer.

john m flores
gear - my eye, my mind, my passion
http://whatblogisthis.blogspot.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads