Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
Melbourne Park Senior Member • Posts: 2,683
Re: I got drawn in to this...

PerL wrote:

But Pentax has an unique range of very small, compact, well built primes. The widget for comparision only includes a few of them.

Which would be great on an OM-D if they autofocused.

The pity is that Pentax have made two CSCs, and they have both missed the mark, by a large amount. And in time, m43 will not only have similar primes probably, but they'll have compact zooms as well.

And Canon have not yet entered the market. Pentax has tried twice, and missed the mark twice. I expect Canon will not, unless it does not want its DSLRs to be threatened.

Strategically, the OM-D is the most serious threat to DSLRs yet. Its a complete solution except for sports photography, yet the architecture is cheaper to build than DSLRs, which have many more moving parts and many more parts altogether. They cost more to build, so a CSC can be sold below them in price, yet still make more profits.

The OM-D though attacks what should be DSLR exclusive territory (except for sports focus and when that is achieved DSLRs will be regarded as having inferior focus technology, which in some areas they already do have).

the K-5 is a fine camera, and so too its lenses. But the brand lacks critical mass in the DSLR landscape. Asahi Pentax have lost the battle, and their new owner is testimony to that.

Olympus also lacks critical mass but it is profitable but not due to its cameras. Whether it will succeed is still unknown, but m43 is strengthened by Panasonic as well. The OM-D is a major challenge for all DSLRs, and if Canon to not target it with an equivalent product, then DSLRs will continue to loose exchangeable lens market share. Unfortunately, I do not see Pentax being a big player in all that, unless they try a third time. And who knows, maybe Hoya - no Ricoh - will allow them to try again.

Melbourne Park's gear list:Melbourne Park's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,740
Re: Who said it was?

TrapperJohn wrote:

That would depend entirely upon the owner's situation.

Pentax has those beautiful DA* primes, M43 has quite a few top rate primes now, too.

The Pentax zooms are a bit weak. So are the slower M43 zooms.

The Pentax/Sony sensor might preserve a bit more detail as compared to the Olympus/mystery sensor, or it might not, depending on who is using what.

Both are weathersealed.

EM5 can AF native glass very quickly, K5 is supposed to be okay but no speed demon on AF.

K5 has a couple of fast teles, EM5 does not unless you go to HG ZD.

K5 is one of the best midrange dslr's on the market today for image quality. EM5 is the best M43 body on the market today for image quality.

I suppose the EM5 is better if you already own some M43 glass. The K5 is better if you already own Pentax glass. If you don't own glass for either... it's your call.

Well said, I agree

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +7 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,740
Re: Who said it was?

Sean Nelson wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

I suppose the EM5 is better if you already own some M43 glass. The K5 is better if you already own Pentax glass. If you don't own glass for either... it's your call.

Best Post Yet.

I've been invested in Pentax for well over 30 years. As the other posters have mentioned most of the Pentax Limited primes are unsurpassed. Pentax is also the only DSLR manufacturer that still maintains full mount compatibility for virtually all of its bayonet-mount lenses - that kind of customer support is unique in the industry.

And the Nikon F mount

But I like Pentax cameras and lenses, the K5 is really good

Nonetheless, I expect to switch to M43 when the GH3 comes out for a couple of reasons:

• better video, including (almost certainly) 1080p60 capability.

• a single camera system that include a camera/kit lens small enough to carry in a belt pouch so I can take it with me everywhere, yet will share lenses with the other, more capable cameras in the system.

So it's video and size that are steering me to M43.

But not only for video, the GH3 will be good for stills also

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +7 more
bevis4 Regular Member • Posts: 173
Re: Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

I've just moved from a K-7 to an OM-D; see my post on the pentax forum.

The OM-D isn't a better camera than the K-5, it's just different. If size matters, get the OM-D, if ISO matters, get the K-5. Depends what sort of thing you'll photograph also - there are no fast zooms in M43, but does that matter to you?

-- hide signature --
szlevi Contributing Member • Posts: 932

Configuring linux is pretty easy - I do clusters, storage etc - but sometimes cameras can drive nuts when they did/didn't do something rather obvious...
--

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Laszlo13
Laszlo13 Contributing Member • Posts: 887
Re: Why do birds suddenly appear...

zxaar wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

Honestly, I was interested in the OM-D until I saw that thread. It got me interested in the K5 and I started doing research about it.

The K5 is indeed small and lightweight (compared to other DSLR), the pancake lenses are crazily small and sharp. Great high ISO and DR beats FF cameras. For under $2000 I can get a body with 3 very nice pancakes. I dont know why it's not more popular.

Hmmm ... which pancakes?
a. they're expensive
b. they're not really fast
c. they're not really that fantastic

I've looked at Pentax a number of times. I really like their mentality in camera body design. But - I find their lens selection not that well thought out. Example: 15m f4 limited, it's about $800, comparable to the Oly 9-18 in size (closed) and weight - as well as image quality and speed. Yes it looks nicer, but I'd rather have the 9-18 zoom. Or for the same money, you can get the Oly 12mm with equal build quality and feel, but far better performance. The Panny 20mm 1.7 will beat the normal range pancakes in price, size and performance. The 70mm 2.4 looks nice - but here again the Oly 45mm 1.8 is probably better on all fronts. You'll loose the slightly bigger sensor advantage once the lenses are compared. If you're happy with the $2000 kit you've assembled on a wishlist, then by all means go for it (again, I always wanted either the K-7 or K-5) - but I was never satisfied with what I put together on B&H shopping list.

you are deluded.

Pentax is originally a optics company. You think they can't design good lenses. Seek a doctor.

I have already actually: Dr. Olympus

• but of course Pentax makes great optics, not just for cameras by the way (excellent astronomy eyepieces). But their combination of limited lenses doesn't suit me: due to lens speed, cost, and in some cases quality. I wasn't interested in their higher quality * lenses, due to size. The OP stated he's identified a great set of pancakes (so I assume the limited lenses) for $2000, I was curious which ones. When I debated about a switch, I found better options for my needs in micro 4/3.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
gotompoes Regular Member • Posts: 498

bevis4 wrote:

I've just moved from a K-7 to an OM-D; see my post on the pentax forum.

The OM-D isn't a better camera than the K-5, it's just different. If size matters, get the OM-D, if ISO matters, get the K-5. Depends what sort of thing you'll photograph also - there are no fast zooms in M43, but does that matter to you?

I wanted a low light champion and bought the K5 with some limited lenses.

The theory was good but it did not work out as the AF of the K5 is very unreliable in low light conditions. I am getting substantial better results with Olympus EM5 in low light.
The micro 4/3 primes are amazing.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica Q Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Bart Hickman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256
Re: Yes, flawed - here is a better comparision

Then we agree on both counts. I wish all DSLR makers would put their high end APS-C bodies into a package like the K-5.

Bart
--
http://bhimages.zenfolio.com

Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
rusticus
rusticus Contributing Member • Posts: 559

A funny and really bad comparison
The K-5 is still the clear No. 1 - or even better, despite the Nikon D800

rusticus's gear list:rusticus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5
chiane Veteran Member • Posts: 4,397
Re: Why do birds suddenly appear...

hellocrowley wrote:

I've looked at Pentax a number of times. I really like their mentality in camera body design. But - I find their lens selection not that well thought out. Example: 15m f4 limited, it's about $800, comparable to the Oly 9-18 in size (closed) and weight - as well as image quality and speed. Yes it looks nicer, but I'd rather have the 9-18 zoom. Or for the same money, you can get the Oly 12mm with equal build quality and feel, but far better performance. The Panny 20mm 1.7 will beat the normal range pancakes in price, size and performance. The 70mm 2.4 looks nice - but here again the Oly 45mm 1.8 is probably better on all fronts. You'll loose the slightly bigger sensor advantage once the lenses are compared. If you're happy with the $2000 kit you've assembled on a wishlist, then by all means go for it (again, I always wanted either the K-7 or K-5) - but I was never satisfied with what I put together on B&H shopping list.

Are you freak'in high right now? There is not an ounce of truth in anything you typed.

James A Rinner
James A Rinner Senior Member • Posts: 1,607
The point is this...

The difference between the E-5 and K-7 is smaller than the difference between the E-M5 and K-7 because that was the original posters point. Sorry if I was confusing you.
--
Sincerely,

James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN-F +14 more
OP Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,010

bevis4 wrote:

Depends what sort of thing you'll photograph also - there are no fast zooms in M43, but does that matter to you?

Yes, it does matter to me quite a bit. Luckily I managed to solve the problem quite well.

Works nicely, AF is not earth shattering fast but it isn't particularly worse than the Pana 20mm.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
Ben3D
Ben3D New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Yes, flawed - here is a better comparision

I was trying to match focal lengths after crop factor. If you wanna stay in the 20mm 1.x size/speed, here ya go:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.30,187.122,202.128,ha,t

only a 24 avail for the E-5, but does it really matter?

Ben3D's gear list:Ben3D's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
lester11
lester11 Contributing Member • Posts: 567
Re: They are both competent cameras- which one

Coming late to the party, just finding a sensible place (thanks, Raist) to tuck my tuppence in ... (smile)

I ran the GH2 for a while (very happy!) until forced into a weather proofed system by the English weather. Really really tried to like the D7000 or 7D but gave up trying to figure which of their lenses were also weather proofed, so somewhat nervously went for the K-5, Pentax perfectly upfront about which of their lens line-up was weather proofed. Very happy with the K-5. My better half runs the Panny G3 (previously had a G1), and now gets wet with me with her new E-5M. So we have both systems, and good experience with both m4/3 and APS-C systems. Exactly as said, both very competent cameras, but also rather different.

While the K-5 and its lenses comprise a "small" DSLR system, it is significantly bigger (larger, heavier) than the E-M5. The E-M5 has a tiltable LCD, and the non-tiltable K-5 LCD has always given me sadness, I do a lot of macro. Finally, I found quality much more variable with Pentax kit than with previous Oly and Panny m4/3 kit... So +3 to the Oly.

But the Pentax K mount lens range, particularly the weather proofed, is much larger. Like the Oly, is has IBIS, and so is comfortable with legacy lenses. Also, third party support for K mount lenses great value, and I love the Sigma 8-16 and the 30/f1.4. Then there is the GPS / astrotracer unit, utterly unique, and the K-5 ergonomics are the best I've known. So +3 to the Pentax.

Hey, it's a draw. Exactly as said, worth handling both then making up your mind... Good luck!
--
Lester

lester11's gear list:lester11's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,039
As biased as can be

Ben3D wrote:

I was trying to match focal lengths after crop factor. If you wanna stay in the 20mm 1.x size/speed, here ya go:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.30,187.122,202.128,ha,t

only a 24 avail for the E-5, but does it really matter?

Pentax has a wider range of very compact primes than any other brand, yet you choose to compare the OM-D fitted with the smallest m43 lens vs a Sigma monster sized prime on the K5.

You cant choose the Pentax 21, 40 or 70 panncakes in the widget but here is at least a comparision with 45 1.8 Oly and the 77 1.8 (actually a FF lens) for a reasonable match in FOV.
http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.93,187.83,ha,t

Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,035

Melbourne Park wrote:

PerL wrote:

But Pentax has an unique range of very small, compact, well built primes. The widget for comparision only includes a few of them.

And in time, m43 will not only have similar primes probably, but they'll have compact zooms as well.

I think it could be argued m43 already has similar small primes, in focal lengths that count. Pentax has a number of lenses here, but consider the 15/4 is 2-stops slower than the similar-sized 12/2, and then the most diminutive lenses of all (Pentax 40/2.8s) are limited by a legacy FF film DSLR flange distance, so what is the point in having the worlds smallest interchangeable lens when it is limited to a "no-man's land" 60mm FOV? m43 already has a diminutive fisheye, 14/2.5, 17/2.8, 20/1.7 (a true normal), and the 45/1.8 (90mm portrait lens). All of which can fit together in a SINGLE jacket pocket. There is also the 25/1.4 for those who want the AF speed and better bokeh in their normal. FE,24,28,35,40,50,90. Add in the two larger "strange FOV" Sigma's (for APS-C legacy reasons, m43 too has a f2.8 "60mm equiv" prime - if you REALLY want it!), the upcoming 75/1.8, and they will have covered nearly every possible fast-compact-prime need outside of super-telephoto birding/sports... but that is a whole different set of priorities.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +28 more
dennis tennis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,783
Re: K5 lenses are HUGE!

Haven't you seen those ginormous Pentax pancake primes. You need a C-17 to transport such monstrosities.

Ben3D
Ben3D New Member • Posts: 19
Re: As biased as can be

Wow, that combo makes it only twice as heavy as that E-M5 setup.

Oh this is an interesting view:
http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.93,187.83,ha,l

That website is so much fun!

Ben3D's gear list:Ben3D's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,079

PerL wrote:

...because I answered a poster that said that the K5 was almost as big as an E-5. Then someone included the OM-D with a pancake compared to a big Sigma lens on the K5. So I answered that one - and then yours and so on...

I replied to the OP with his question about size. That is all. I don't know what other discussions with other people buried in this long thread you have had. I stayed out of those. I have held the E-M5 in my hands many times (don't own one yet though) and I have held the K-5 (and K-7) in my hands many times. The E-M5 and lenses are much smaller/lighter. Yes, Pentax has a few nice, small lenses, but those are the exception. The 1.5x APS-C sensor pretty much guarantees larger lenses then a 2x m4/3 sensor.

I never said anything about which camera is better or even whether smaller is better since that is a subjective view that different people can have different opinions about.

If you take the whole list of Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 lenses and compare them to the comparable Pentax ones (or, if necessary Sigma/Tamron) then in almost every single case the m4/3 lenses are smaller, usually much smaller though. I have held all the m4/3 lenses in my hand, including lenses such as the Voigtlander f0.95 25mm and I have held most of the Pentax, Sigma, Tamron lenses that are comparable. In almost every case there is no comparison when it comes to size.

Again, this has nothing to do with which one is better since I find that whole sort of argument childish.

Yes, I know. In 2010 I had a Pentax K-7. Very nice camera that was letdown by its sensor from around ISO 1600 on up. The K-5 has a great sensor though so, I know, that it is a very nice camera.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,039
A parameter called build quality

Ben3D wrote:

Wow, that combo makes it only twice as heavy as that E-M5 setup.

Yes, you are right that the K5 is heavy for its size - about 250 g more than other compact DSLRs. It is because the amount of steel and magnesium that give it a pro level build. The OM-D with its built in EVF is 30 g heavier than a consumer E-P3, which is metal plate over a plastic chassis I believe.

The Pentax Limited lens also has metal build - the Oly 45 1.8 lens has plastic build.
Some think metal is good, others prefer plastic.

Oh this is an interesting view:
http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.93,187.83,ha,l

Yes, those who intends to buy the grip for improved handling and to avoid cramping shooting a telezoom can see that the footprint wont be much different.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads