Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,240
Re: Why do birds suddenly appear...

And then put a pancake on the EM5. Not much would change.

The mirror box in a DSLR takes up a lot of space. Hard to get around it.

hellocrowley wrote:

That's not really fair IMO. You should put the DA limited primes on that K5. For example the 1cm thick 40mm 2.8 or 70mm 2.4. It will be a lot thinner than the OMD + 45mm.

Thorgrem wrote:

I think it's because of the same reason 4/3's like the E-5 (or E-30, E-620) is not popular. A to small user base so it's overshadowed by Canon and Nikon. A to small users base is also a risk for people who do boy in to the system.

The K5 is a very nice camera but I would go for the m4/3's because it's the future and it's much, much smaller.

hellocrowley wrote:

Honestly, I was interested in the OM-D until I saw that thread. It got me interested in the K5 and I started doing research about it.

The K5 is indeed small and lightweight (compared to other DSLR), the pancake lenses are crazily small and sharp. Great high ISO and DR beats FF cameras. For under $2000 I can get a body with 3 very nice pancakes. I dont know why it's not more popular.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
Macx Senior Member • Posts: 1,433
Re: Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

The K-5 is an excellent camera. If I was going for a dslr it would be a top contender and honestly, I think it beats or is the equal to the E-M5 on almost all accounts. But it is bigger and heavier, and the lenses for it are bigger and heavier. Also, it is a dslr and it looks like one. For me, part of the appeal of the E-M5 is not having to be "that guy" who brings a dslr. I can take the camera without a grip and with a couple of primes without being conspicuous. And I can take the camera with the grip, flash gun and big zooms when I need to do that.

From an outside point of view, I think Pentax is doing the right things with their camera lines, and I'm a bit confused that they're not doing better in the marketplace than they are, but I must admit I've never done more than a few test shots with a Pentax camera, so maybe I've missed something.

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,049
Not really fair

James A Rinner wrote:

Here is why...The K-5 is just a little bit smaller than my E-5.

Here is a better representation of the K5 size. The E-5 is a big DSLR, every bit as big as a Nikon D300 which the K7 (same body as K5) is compared to below.

Dolan Halbrook
Dolan Halbrook Senior Member • Posts: 1,212
This was discussed in another thread in Open Talk
 Dolan Halbrook's gear list:Dolan Halbrook's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +2 more
OP Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,011
Re: Many cameras are better than the OM-D.

SirSeth wrote:

That said, every spec sheet is only part of the equation.

Yes, and I've read glowing reviews of cameras that were pretty shoddy once I handled them. (D3100, NEX 3/5). I'm finding it's very difficult to evaluate a camera without having it in hand for a couple days.

That said, all indications so far are that live view alone is enough of a killer feature for me that I would not buy a DSLR.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,740

Both are good and different cameras

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +7 more
Dolan Halbrook
Dolan Halbrook Senior Member • Posts: 1,212
Re: Why do birds suddenly appear...

I've owned a K-7 (same chassis as the K-5) for the past three years, and now an E-M5. Trust me when I say the E-M5 is significantly smaller and lighter.
--
--- http://www.flickr.com/photos/reneeanddolan/ ---

Dolan Halbrook's gear list:Dolan Halbrook's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +2 more
Panda9
Panda9 Regular Member • Posts: 423
Re: Plus, within the same system, you can get an EPM1 or GF5

Promit wrote:

WT21 wrote:

Using the same excellent pancake lenses, you can also get a 2nd, really small body. Hard to do that with the K5.

Good point, actually. I can coat-pocket a PEN, or wield a "big" angry OM-D, all with a single glass investment. Especially since LensRentals has confirmed that the 20mm is one bad mother

I bought into MFT when it started, and my E-M5 is my fifth body. But even after buying the E-M5, I have purchased an E-PL1 for the ridiculous price of $150 new which I intend to convert to IR, an E-PL2 for my sister to use (she can use my large collection of lenses when we're together), and yesterday just received a cheap E-PM1 to use with my 14mm for when I want a true pocketable camera.

So within one system, I have the outstanding E-M5, a pocketable E-PM1, and an IR camera, all sharing the same lenses. That's really hard to accomplish with any other system. The fact that the E-PL1, E-PL2, and E-PM1 all use the same battery, VF-2, and other accessories is icing on the cake.

millsart Senior Member • Posts: 2,771
Why does Sony have AF fine tune on the CDAF NEX7 ???

If CDAF is so accurate on any lens, then why does Sony have AF fine tune adjustments on the NEX7 ??

Thats not saying the NEX line is better worse than others, merely that its a CDAF system yet has the ability to fine to for given lenes

Everdog wrote:

I owned Canons for years, but the PDAF focusing always had issues. I sent my T2i in to get "adjusted" 3 times.

With CDAF you do not have to adjust the camera for every lens. This is why so many people claim they get a higher "hit-rate" of focused shots.

I am sure that if you properly adjust you camera for every lens, it should be just as accurate...but does your camera support that?

James A Rinner
James A Rinner Senior Member • Posts: 1,607
Not that much of a difference...

E-5 142 X 116 X 75
K5 131 X 97 X 73
--
Sincerely,

James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN-F +14 more
Lee Beasley Senior Member • Posts: 2,468
Apples and Oranges

I don't think it's better, necessarily. I just finished shooting an event with the K-5, and I was happy to have it. It took place in a school gymnasium with ugly lighting, and I shot a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens at ISO 1600. I couldn't see any noise in the shots, and they were very well received. That said, who wants to lug around a chunky lens like that for everyday outdoor shooting? Or the 16-50 f2.8, for that matter? The latest crop of mirrorless cameras offer so many options with such great image quality, what's wrong with having both? One kit is lightweight and eminently portable; the other a little beefier and not as likely to accompany you 24/7. But there's certainly room for both.

Lee Beasley's gear list:Lee Beasley's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Apple iPhone 7 Plus
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,049
Re: Not that much of a difference...

James A Rinner wrote:

E-5 142 X 116 X 75
K5 131 X 97 X 73
--
Sincerely,

James A. Rinner

I think it is a clear difference:
http://camerasize.com/compare/#202,187

chiane Veteran Member • Posts: 4,397

James A Rinner wrote:

Here is why...The K-5 is just a little bit smaller than my E-5.

I am all for small cameras, but when you stick that lens on the Oly, it's not going in your pocket, or even much of a smaller bag. So at that point, does the 'smaller' size really matter that much?

venice Senior Member • Posts: 1,973
Not in same category by size alone

Promit wrote:

Honest question, I am not trying to troll. I've never shot Pentax, though a good friend is very happy with them. I've just got a lot of money wrapped up in m43, an OM-D order, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've gone crazy. By the spec sheets, they seem like awfully similar cameras with the hard numbers tipped in favor of the K-5.

Is it just down to (good) live view and size?

FYI, the volume of the K-5 is double (2x) that of the EM5 and it's weight is 85% greater.

That is far larger than the volume and weight difference between a K-5 and a D800.

It is a similar volume difference (2x vs 2.3x) and a greater weight difference (85% vs 70%) than the K-5 and the D3x.

The K-5 and the EM5 are in wholly different size categories without even considering the lenses.

I'm happy with both my D3x and my EM5.

-Bill

roblarosa
roblarosa Senior Member • Posts: 2,119
It's not a Pentax (nt)

Yeah, I said it.

roblarosa's gear list:roblarosa's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,147
Re: Why does Sony have AF fine tune on the CDAF NEX7 ???

millsart wrote:

If CDAF is so accurate on any lens, then why does Sony have AF fine tune adjustments on the NEX7 ??

Aren't those for when you use the A-mount PDAF adapter and A-mount lenses?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,237
Re: Why does Sony have AF fine tune on the CDAF NEX7 ???

Henry Richardson wrote:

millsart wrote:

Aren't those for when you use the A-mount PDAF adapter and A-mount lenses?

Yes, that's what the micro-adjust on all NEX bodies (not just the NEX-7) is for.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R +21 more
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,937

Promit wrote:

Honest question, I am not trying to troll. I've never shot Pentax, though a good friend is very happy with them. I've just got a lot of money wrapped up in m43, an OM-D order, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've gone crazy. By the spec sheets, they seem like awfully similar cameras with the hard numbers tipped in favor of the K-5.

Is it just down to (good) live view and size?

There are a couple of simple fundamental question to ask yourself. Do you feel safe with Pentax? Do you want to buy an APS-C DSLR now?

Unless you have a lot of K-mount lenses already, there is not a lot of reason to take such risk with a company with an uncertain future. Pentax has been sold twice already and there is little left in that camera company now in Ricoh's hands. For example, no new models for DSLR now. There is only one DSLR model, the K-5, left and it is so out of date in AF, flash and other support.

Even those with many K-mount lenses are switching to other brands, taking advantage of the current high price of K-mount lenses.

There is also an issue with the future of APS-C DSLRs, as mirrorless cameras are going to take over.

So, putting Pentax + DSLR together, means even more risk for your investment as a camera system.

Assuming you still think it is OK and safe, then consider this. The K-5 is no more than an very old K-7 with a Sony sensor and some trivial update. The same old and inadequate 11-point AF system, the same out of date flashes, the same problems in lens lineup and the dreaded SDM lens motor problem and even worse, independent lens makers keep dropping support for Pentax K-mount, e.g. no new Tamron, Tokina, and others. The Nikon D7000 is much safer bet if it has to be a DSLR.

Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,937
Re: It's not a Pentax (nt)

roblarosa wrote:

Yeah, I said it.
--

I know what you mean

This company has gone berserk with a Q and then a K-01. We still don't know what lies ahead with Ricoh owning it, some 7 months since it bought Pentax. There was talk of some new camera announcements by Mar 2013, but at this time there are 4 different camera directions, 645D, K-5, Q, and this funny mirrorless called K-01. The need to develop different lines of lenses alone will be a huge burden for a company with a tiny market share, 5% or less. Beware.

There is a reason why the K-5, with an original RPP of $1500, is now selling under $1000.

OP Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,011

Sergey Borachev wrote:

There are a couple of simple fundamental question to ask yourself. Do you feel safe with Pentax? Do you want to buy an APS-C DSLR now?

Nope. But I do want to understand what the implications of the choice are.

Pentax has been sold twice already and there is little left in that camera company now in Ricoh's hands. For example, no new models for DSLR now. There is only one DSLR model, the K-5, left and it is so out of date in AF, flash and other support.

I hear the E-5 owners feel exactly the same way Pentax exists now, and I don't really see a point in speculating about their health any more so than Olympus.

There is also an issue with the future of APS-C DSLRs, as mirrorless cameras are going to take over.

I just don't consider that to be a legitimate concern at all.

The K-5 is no more than an very old K-7 with a Sony sensor and some trivial update. The same old and inadequate 11-point AF system, the same out of date flashes, the same problems in lens lineup and the dreaded SDM lens motor problem and even worse, independent lens makers keep dropping support for Pentax K-mount, e.g. no new Tamron, Tokina, and others. The Nikon D7000 is much safer bet if it has to be a DSLR.

The big things that caught my eye in Pentax are weather sealing and shake reduction, with Nikon lacking the latter. I don't know so much about the specifics of the problems you describe, but I can imagine that if they add up to a poor experience actually using the camera long term (something no review covers), then that's a big drawback.

Also it looks like Pentax's video support is absolutely bare-bones.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads