Something I will say about xpro1 focusing.

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
snapper1967 Contributing Member • Posts: 673
Something I will say about xpro1 focusing.

It may be show but it's VERY accurate.

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lnbolch
lnbolch Senior Member • Posts: 2,329
Re: Something I will say about xpro1 focusing.

snapper1967 wrote:

It is indeed. A half-press with the rectangle on the subject and it is focused. Press the rest of the way and you have it nailed. A matter of a split second more anticipation compared to a phase detection system. I really can not understand why people find this difficult. A mind that is slower than the camera perhaps?

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
NOLA JAMES Regular Member • Posts: 105

Well not for eveybody and I'm proof of that. My XP1 I returned last week was replaced. The autofocus was inept at best. Extremely slow and ususable on any moving subject. My dealer replaced the camera and 35 mm lens. I believe he said Fuji described the camera and lens as a phenomenon (I had other words to describe it). I received my new camera and lens today and so far the autofocus is much quicker. So there may be a few more people out there experiencing the same problem and think this is normal. It's not. Some XP1 owners may also have a camera that is also a ... ahem... 'phenomenon'.

I would suggest everyone give them a break and recommend they go to a brick and mortar store to compare the autofocus speed of the stores demo unit with their camera. It may be a revelation as it was to me.

BTW I'm relieved I purchased my camera from a reputable dealer that actually tested the first camera and determined it was defective. Then they tested the new camera and lens before shipping it to me. Can't get that kind of service from Amazon.

NOLA JAMES's gear list:NOLA JAMES's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
chopsteeks Senior Member • Posts: 1,591

good

Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,965

lnbolch wrote:

snapper1967 wrote:

It is indeed. A half-press with the rectangle on the subject and it is focused. Press the rest of the way and you have it nailed. A matter of a split second more anticipation compared to a phase detection system.

For stationary objects I agree. For motion and action shots, sorry but the xpro 1 is too slow anyway you look at it. If I shoot action for pleasure and am very happy to come home with few good results, yes the xp1 can do it nicely.

But for a high demanding mission critical work, where low light action is involved such as a wedding for example, the xp1 can not be the first camera choice for a photographer who takes his job seriously.

I really can not understand why people find this difficult.

Maybe because you have never experienced photographing a wedding as a pro.

A mind that is slower than the camera perhaps?

Sounds very dramatic but it ain't the case. When you shoot action, you should have very fast reactions. When I use my pro gear to shoot action, I get every shot I want, all the time, if I have spotted it. Why? Because the tool I use is made for it. This is not the case with my X100 and probably not with the XP1.

Now don't get me wrong. I consider the XP1 to be a fantastic camera for many things but not for everything. So before you come up with a typical fanboy reaction as above, maybe you should understand that other photographers may do different things than you do and for them, the XPRO 1 is just not the right tool. That has nothing to do with a slow mind.

Moti

-- hide signature --
JSTB Regular Member • Posts: 262

http://www.prophotonut.com/2012/05/07/fujifilm-x-pro1-first-findings/

"How good is the X-Pro1?

I expect the reports that the X-Pro1 is sharper and delivers more detail than a Canon 5D mk3 or a Canon 1DX are a bit far fetched but the X-Pro1 could easily be equal to either of those cameras from what I’ve seen from the jpegs. RAW processing of 16 bit files will tell the whole truth. I used the X-Pro1 for a corporate job at the BBC in my first week of ownership and I shot in the TV and Radio studios with just 300 lux of light using f/2.8 at ISO 1600 and the Fuji outperformed the Canon 5D MK2 at that ISO. So I ditched the Canon and shot with the Fuji for three days. The final pictures will be printed to A1 so it was important for me to capture the maximum detail. Would I shoot a wedding with it? Yes, once there is RAW file support. "

"Speed

There are reports of the autofocus being slow but don’t let that put you off. I can take this camera from my bag and get a perfect shot way faster than I can with my Canon 5Dmk2. I’ve found both the Fuji X100 and the Fuji XP1 wonderfully responsive. By far the most time used in the taking of one of my portraits is by my visualisation and thought process. The time the camera takes to set accurate focus is just okay, it’s not really an issue for me. My Canon with it’s 50mm f/1.2 would confirm focus to me in about the same time as the Fuji does with the 35mm f/1.4 but the resulting Canon shot was as likely to be mis focussed as it was to be spot on. No such woes with the Fuji."

framus Contributing Member • Posts: 847

It is a wondrous thing that anyone took any photographs before cameras became computers.

-Framus

...going off to make some 'mission critical' pictures just like the folks from Magnum.

Moti wrote:

lnbolch wrote:

snapper1967 wrote:

It is indeed. A half-press with the rectangle on the subject and it is focused. Press the rest of the way and you have it nailed. A matter of a split second more anticipation compared to a phase detection system.

For stationary objects I agree. For motion and action shots, sorry but the xpro 1 is too slow anyway you look at it. If I shoot action for pleasure and am very happy to come home with few good results, yes the xp1 can do it nicely.

But for a high demanding mission critical work, where low light action is involved such as a wedding for example, the xp1 can not be the first camera choice for a photographer who takes his job seriously.

I really can not understand why people find this difficult.

Maybe because you have never experienced photographing a wedding as a pro.

A mind that is slower than the camera perhaps?

Sounds very dramatic but it ain't the case. When you shoot action, you should have very fast reactions. When I use my pro gear to shoot action, I get every shot I want, all the time, if I have spotted it. Why? Because the tool I use is made for it. This is not the case with my X100 and probably not with the XP1.

Now don't get me wrong. I consider the XP1 to be a fantastic camera for many things but not for everything. So before you come up with a typical fanboy reaction as above, maybe you should understand that other photographers may do different things than you do and for them, the XPRO 1 is just not the right tool. That has nothing to do with a slow mind.

Moti

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,965

framus wrote:

...going off to make some 'mission critical' pictures just like the folks from Magnum.

Why is it so difficult to understand that different people may have different needs than you?

There is a very big difference between making photographs for fun, as you describe yourself and making photographs for living.

When you come home after a day shooting with lousy photos, no one will pull a gun. When I do that with a contracted job, I might end up in court. For you it is nice to have results, for me it is a must. So basically, my criteria for choosing photographic tools are different than yours. I am very much impressed by the XPRO 1 and its IQ and might even get one in the future but for part of my work, as it is now, it is just not a tool that I can rely on.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads