Guess which camera D800e D800 (side by side)

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Mikael Risedal
Mikael Risedal Veteran Member • Posts: 4,421
Guess which camera D800e D800 (side by side)

Here, a side-by-side comparison of D800/D800E developed by RT, amAze, USM 0.5/300/0. made by The_Suede and free from color estimation errors," or less"
compared with Camera Raw the second picture.

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dan Brenner Regular Member • Posts: 378
Re: Guess which camera D800e D800

It's clear! Those with the red dot are from the 800E. They are a bit sharper.

Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 6,402
Nope

Dan Brenner wrote:

It's clear! Those with the red dot are from the 800E. They are a bit sharper.

Red dot is the normal D800.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Mikael Risedal
Mikael Risedal OP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,421
interesting

the score is 1-1

reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Re: interesting

Oh, this is fun. Me next, me next. Images form the red dot are from the D800E.

exposure
exposure Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Alxy Regular Member • Posts: 292

Red dot d800

Alxy's gear list:Alxy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 +1 more
djmm Regular Member • Posts: 137
Re: Guess which camera D800e D800 (side by side)

Providing you nailed all the shots equally spot on and no camera shake, I think the red dot is the E version as they appear to be crisper. The non-red dot one appear to be 'bolder' or thicker but slightly fuzzier as well...

(but I think some of the pics, the focus point was different? ie. the pic with the ruler)

jambalawa Contributing Member • Posts: 765

Lens or something is limiting both it seems hence the similar looking images. I've seen far sharper and cleaner 1:1 crops from both.

jambalawa's gear list:jambalawa's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +5 more
russbarnes Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: Depth of Field Difference

I want to say the red dot images are the D800E but it's absolutely not consistent and just goes to prove there is nothing between the two cameras.

Fifth pair in from the left (text on bottles): There are artifcats in the text on the right hand (red dot) version which makes it the D800E for sure. However, look at the sixth pair from the right (ruler, brush, Canon) and look at 140 on the ruler with the red dot version - it is clearly out of focus compared to the left one. You could easily say looking at that image that the left one is sharper and therefore "must" be the D800E.

On balance, because of the presence of moire and artifacts, the red dot versions must belong to the D800E, not because they are better, but actually because the images have more issues to deal with. I'm glad I didn't go for the D800E in the end!

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED +5 more

To be honest I bought the E version because the shopkeeper told me chicks dig the E version...

russbarnes wrote:

I want to say the red dot images are the D800E but it's absolutely not consistent and just goes to prove there is nothing between the two cameras.

Fifth pair in from the left (text on bottles): There are artifcats in the text on the right hand (red dot) version which makes it the D800E for sure. However, look at the sixth pair from the right (ruler, brush, Canon) and look at 140 on the ruler with the red dot version - it is clearly out of focus compared to the left one. You could easily say looking at that image that the left one is sharper and therefore "must" be the D800E.

On balance, because of the presence of moire and artifacts, the red dot versions must belong to the D800E, not because they are better, but actually because the images have more issues to deal with. I'm glad I didn't go for the D800E in the end!

russbarnes Senior Member • Posts: 1,319

It's a good a reason as any. Sex sells after all

djmm wrote:

To be honest I bought the E version because the shopkeeper told me chicks dig the E version...

russbarnes wrote:

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890

djmm wrote:

Was he proven right? Do random girls come up to you and hand you a note with their phone number, after they see you with that D800e?

I just remembered that the shopkeeper told me that if I bought a D800 E version, the chance of me picking up chicks at local bar would increase by 18.76%, whereas if I went with regular D800, it's only 12.53%.

I thought the $300 price difference is worth the extra chance. He also said with additional Marumi filter, the chance would increase further 2%

russbarnes wrote:
It's a good a reason as any. Sex sells after all

djmm wrote:

russbarnes wrote:

IainD Senior Member • Posts: 1,444

Red spot looks a tiny bit sharper.
IainD

Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 6,402

coudet wrote:

djmm wrote:

Was he proven right? Do random girls come up to you and hand you a note with their phone number, after they see you with that D800e?

You have to photograph them first... but I don't believe the shopkeeper, as the E brings out their skin imperfections even more. Plus moiré in the eyelashes.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Schrumpfgermane
Schrumpfgermane Junior Member • Posts: 43

The ones with the red dot are the D800E

IF you didn't apply more sharpening in post to them than on the ones without the dot.

But I agree with Russ, it's a little inconsitent. On the first pair, the detail in the black fabric in the background seems to differ more because of different focus than because of camera difference.

Michael

ukat123 Contributing Member • Posts: 761

Easy. Red dot is 800. No dot = E

odedia Regular Member • Posts: 313

D800E is with the red dot mainly because I see clear aliasing artifacts in straight lines.

I do believe there is a lens issue though, both look rather soft. Or maybe you took both with the D800 and just sharpened one of them a bit more :).

RomanJohnston
RomanJohnston Forum Pro • Posts: 18,800
Red Dot = D800E for me....

No doubt about it.

Roman
--

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.
~ Albert Einstein

http://www.commercialfineart.com/

http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads